This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread (Page 29)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  51  52  53   
Author Topic: alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yallop inherited a dysfunctional squad from He Who Shall Not Be Named and had to work under Alexi Lalas. Doug Hamilton was never really a fan favorite, but his death in the 2006 unsettled the whole organization, I think, and Lalas followed him and has clearly been more interested in promoting the team and making an ass out of himself instead of building a good scouting system and making sound personnel moves.

I'm not saying that Yallop would have been a great coach like he was in SJ without all of those factors, but it clearly didn't help at all.

The Galaxy hasn't been a truly good team since Cienfuegos left.

[ 11.02.2008, 23:26: Message edited by: Inca ]

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RBNY is trying to line up Real Madrid at Giants Stadium in the summer, probably early August.

US men might play England at Wembley May 28th.

Clint Mathis scored for unpronounceable FC in Greece to get them a draw in only his second appearance.

Haugesund paid Dallas $100,000 for Chris Gbandi.

Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An article from Andrea Canales on the American players market, and the decisions whether to stick with MLS or take a risk at a lower European club. What I found most interesting was some more info on the Chris Albright deal:

quote:
While Noonan no doubt felt unappreciated, that transaction was less acrimonious than the one that brought another National Team member, right-back Chris Albright, to New England. After five years as a key player with the Galaxy, Albright signed a new contract with LA in January, even taking a lower salary. Such a move seemed to make sense, as the team was working to squeeze under the salary cap, but the Galaxy then turned around and traded him to New England.

While he would not comment on the details of the move, Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas said that, “Whether for us, or for another club, Albright is being compensated at the level which a top player at his position gets in this league.”

What is becoming clear, though, is that players are increasingly aware that loyalty to a club, or even the league in general, is perhaps a sentimental luxury they cannot afford as professional sportsmen with a limited playing career.

“It was tough, because he’s been a player here for so long,” said Galaxy midfielder Pete Vagenas of Albright’s trade. “He’s contributed immensely. He’s part of what has got this franchise to this point.”

Under the assumption that his efforts were valued, Albright may have been persuaded to sign for less pay, thinking that would keep him with the Galaxy. Though he wouldn’t discuss those details, Albright acknowledged some discomfort with the transaction.

“There were ways that it was handled that I didn’t think were necessarily up front, but that’s the way that it was done,” Albright said. “I can’t really worry about that part now. I’m kind of over it and looking forward.”

That muted reaction could be a cover.

“No matter what [Albright] says, he’s gutted,” said Vagenas. “They say soccer is a business, and sometimes it’s a harsh lesson when you realize that.”

Man, that is fucked up from the Galaxy there. Think Albright would have agreed to a lower salary if he knew he was being shopped around? Yeah, right. He signed that deal to help the Galaxy, and now he's stuck with that salary on a different team.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a dick move on Galaxy's part, but one that his agent should have seen coming. Signing for a lower salary makes you more affordable for your current club, but it also makes you more attractive to other teams looking to trade. The only way to guarantee that you'll stay with a given team is to either have a no-trade clause in your contract, or somehow hustle a deal in which you are so overpaid for what you're actually worth on the pitch that nobody else would want to take your contract.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Okay - is this the same American Soccer thread rebranded for a new year then ? I couldn't come to terms with having to trawl through 29 pages of posts - or do I have that wrong ?

Has anyone noticed that Toronto is looking to have somewhere in the vicinity of 2,000 away supporters travelling down to Colmbus for the season opener ?

Various supporters groups arranged just over 1,000, and upon seeing this TFC themselves have made arrangements with a local bus tour group resulting in another 894 tickets being snapped up.

Posts: 1243 | From: upon high | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

That's great that the team is helping out. Galaxy fans on BS are pleading for the team to do something similar for the games against the Quakes. There are two official fans' representatives on the message board there, and they actually seem to have the ear of the front office.
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fatbastard, where ya been?
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the thread, and yes, it's been discussed (Gramsci is going).
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gramsci's a bastard then. If it weren't for 9-11 (and my own laziness - mostly), I'd be going as well, but seeing as I have neither my citizenship, nor a permanent resident's card, I'll have to watch and admire from afar.
Posts: 1243 | From: upon high | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long a drive is it from Toronto to Columbus? LA-San Jose has to be shorter, no?

Of course, if we had a civilised country (or lived in the 1930s) one could take the real Coast Daylight/Starlight and do the trip in style.

Have the Quakes announced what games they are playing in grounds larger than Buck Shaw yet? It might be a factor in our August vacation planning.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quakes play three games at Oakland -- Fire in April, Galaxy in June, and Galaxy again on August 3rd. All others at Buck Shaw.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toronto - Columbus is about 700 km. It's going to be a long day.

And welcome back to you, too, Urs. You'd been gone a whole two days - I thought the admins had eliminated you as part of the Impending Board Apocalypse..

[ 14.02.2008, 16:42: Message edited by: Antonio Gramsci ]

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ta, Goldstone. The 3rd will be early for us, and I wish. It was someone other than the Galaxy, but . . .

Gramsci, I've been travelling nearly non-stop since Sunday, and only got back to the mountains and my family very late last night. Blackberry access only, too.

Tuesday seems to have been, er, eventful . . .

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1538

Grams - are you going with one of the supporter's groups, on your own, or making use of the Buses set up through TFC ?
Inca
Member # 675

Any chance of you coming to SoCal on your vacation, Ursus?

Ives had this regarding the Galaxy:

quote:
In other LA news, the Galaxy is also stepping up its efforts to acquire a veteran defender. Sources in Los Angeles suggest that Portuguese defender Abel Xavier is showing his age while another pending development is expected to leave the Galaxy's defense even worse off. Stay tuned for more on that. On the bright side, rookie defenders Sean Franklin and Julian Valentin have been very impressive in camp.
There's a rumor someone on BS posted that Ty Harden could be leaving to do Mormon missionary work, and that's the "pending development" ominously referred to.

Ives also reports that the Galaxy are trying out a Brazilian defensive midfielder from Internacional named Alvaro.

This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  51  52  53   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC