This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  51  52  53   
Author Topic: alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is a designated player?
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MLS uses a salary cap--no team can spend more than around $2m per year on their player salaries. Moreover, no player can make more than $500k per year. However, each team can violate these rules for one "designated player", for whom the salary cap and maximum salary rules do not apply.

This is also known as the "Beckham rule" as it was implemented largely to enable the Galaxy to sign him. Teams are allowed to trade their "designated player" slot, which is how the Galaxy have two of them (used on Beckham and Landon Donovan).

MLS is a very tightly controlled league, designed to ensure that no one team dominates as the Cosmos did in the old NASL, and to prevent salaries from escalating rapidly.

[ 05.01.2008, 15:39: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who traded their DP to the Galaxy? Chivas traded theirs to NY, no?
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the Galaxy got a second DP in a trade, but rather that Donovan was grandfathered as one of the players who was earning more than the "designated" DP rate (around USD 400K) when the rule was introduced. That rate is charged against a team's salary cap.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you ursus, I believe that's right. Sorry about that.

Edit: and while we're correcting my post, the dollar figures I gave are probably wrong, too. I am still stuck in 2005, when I was last able to follow MLS closely.

[ 05.01.2008, 16:43: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Celtic want Guzan.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the cap is expected to be about USD 2.3 million for 2008.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need some kind of a "sticky" post on this thread explaining all this designated player business, as we seem to go over it a lot. Of course, it's all absurdly arcane.

The cap rise is meagre. I'd like them to have gone with 2.5M, at least that would have allowed teams to bring in an extra decent player.

I'd like to know which teams aren't close to spending the salary cap limit right now. Anyone know of a list anywhere?

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

The players' union publishes a list. And this is supposed to be the same data in an Excel worksheet, though I can't seem to get it to work.
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, but what I'm looking for is totals per club. I could use that list to work them out myself, but that would take a while.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

It would be easy to figure if the Excel sheet really worked, but I've been playing with it for the last several minutes and can't get it to compute per team totals automatically.
goldstone97
Member # 4318

I would try too, but I'm crap with Excel.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

So is the guy who created the file.

The Fire seem to be right at the cap; counting the standard 400K for Blanco, I get them at USD 2,093,510 in base salaries and USD 2,184,934.50 in guaranteed salaries.

TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, I have asked the question before, sorry.

I think the cap is a great idea though. Would love to see similar here.

Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who are crap with excel:

Total compensation by team

Chicago - $4,464,613 ($1,797,835 without Blanco)
Chivas LA - $1,885,875
Columbus - $2,044,249
Colorado - $2,431,764
Dallas - $2,285,629
DC Utd - $2,163,103
Houston - $2,292,049
Kansas City - $2,612,650
LA Galaxy - $9,179,949 ($2,679,949 without Beckham)
New England - $2,087,948
New York - $4,896,657 ($2,052,899 without Angel and Reyna)
Salt Lake - $2,607,531
The Glorious TFC - $2,453,708

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  51  52  53   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC