This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread (Page 46)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  51  52  53   
Author Topic: alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DC-thon possibly for me, Thursday night is usually a work night but things could change.

AG, if you want to wait a bit, TFC plays at DC on 5/24, right after we play you at your place.

Goldstone, don't worry so much. I arranged to come back a day late from my trip to California so I can go to that game, although for me the "draw" is that it's the Quakes' franchise opener part deux.

Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't do the 24th but the 8th is a possibility. Gotta co-ordinate with the business partner, though. Beers at a non-smug place acceptable to Reed if I can't make it on a football night, though.

My season ticket notice just arrived, and suspiciously absent from the ticket package is any mention of Champions League qualifying matches against Vancouer or Montreal. I smell a rat.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thursdays are problematic for me, but I may be able to manage it.

The 24th or the 8th will probably work.

Wherever we go, I intend to complain about its latent smugness for AG's entertainment.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He's a whining, diving little piece of shit. It's not much more complicated than that.
We'll run him out of town in no time.

[ 19.03.2008, 18:11: Message edited by: Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard ]

Posts: 1243 | From: upon high | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to make it out to the DC game too, but Thursdays are tough and I'm already going to NY next month for the Red Bulls game.

Word is Barcelona may well be playing in NJ and Chicago this summer.

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be a consensus that Thursdays are not a good night for soccer fans in America. ESPN, take note.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're good for me!

<whine, moan, bitch, complain...>

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The playoffs killed us last year -- two away games in a row a day's drive away on Thursday nights (DC and NE). If it had been weekends we'd have gotten a couple of hundred out there, instead of a few dozen.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuckin Argentina-USA on June 4th at Estadio Gigantes. If Riquelme comes to Jersey...
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The playoffs killed us last year -- two away games in a row a day's drive away on Thursday nights (DC and NE). If it had been weekends we'd have gotten a couple of hundred out there, instead of a few dozen.
I've always thought that this argument is sport's version of the Heisenberg Principle, only much less well supported. Goldstone, do you really think that the Fire could have pulled it out if there had been more fans present? Can anyone cite decent evidence that crowds have much influence one way or the other?
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

Oh, I didn't mean the team. I meant the fans. We wanted to go to the game, but most of us, including me, couldn't take the time off at a few days notice.
Scotian42
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Scotian42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the empty seats at most of the MLS stadia for the thursday night games weren't evidence enough for ESPN, I doubt they'll listen to actual fans...

I will try to get out for whichever day this DC-thon happens. I need to take Amor's advice and get out some. I will also be happy to join Reed's bashing of the smugness of our potential location. It occurs to me that we'd probably agree on that.

The game last night was nice to see. It was definitely progress from last week. I'm also concerned that Gallardo will spend more time on the ground than setting up the attack. Can't wait for the regular season to start.

[ 19.03.2008, 19:20: Message edited by: Scotian42 ]

Posts: 252 | From: The Before Time, in the Long, Long Ago | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Houston won last night 3-1, so there will be two MLS sides in the Champions Cup semis. That's kind of nice.

However, what I want to talk about is the idiot that cobbled together the Dynamo-Municipal highlights on MLSnet. Whoever it was didn't even bother to include the first Houston goal, yet did feel it necessary to leave in the opening kickoff, a missed chance by Ching, and the utterly meaningless Municipal penalty in the 85th minute. Really, who the hell leaves out a goal in match highlights?

They did show the second Dynamo tally, though, which is notable because I think it's the first time in CONCACAF competition that I've seen an MLS club become the beneficiary of a scandalously bad penalty call.

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I met a guy who edited the highlights for MLB. Trust me, the people who do that are no Thelma Schoonmakers.

Basically they all share one computer with Final Cut on it. If one person logs it and doesn't mark all of the edits, it can get misplaced on the harddrive and can't be found.

Also, there's a 99.9999999999999% chance the guys never watched the game other than World Cup highlights on ESPN.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered if they had been running a commercial on the original broadcast when the goal was scored.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  51  52  53   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC