This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread (Page 49)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53   
Author Topic: alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting interview with the KC owner on Yahoo here. Seems like he has a clue.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though the phrase "Argentinean World Cup star Claudio Lopez" makes one wonder if the writer does . . .

I had the same question about the "option". In order for it to have any real value it has to give Becks and Fuller an absolute right to buy the Galaxy or an expansion team for less than the going rate.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand the issue here -- everyone has an option to try to buy an MLS franchise, but MLS doesn't have to sell you one. By giving Beckham an option to buy one, they have to sell him one.

But why would it have to be less than the going rate. ursus?

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but what does that mean? MLS doesn't own any teams to sell him.

Maybe it means that Beckham gets first crack when a team goes up for sale? I dunno. It's very strange.

[ 21.03.2008, 17:52: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

It's still a centrally controlled single-entity structure (if with more owner-investors within it now), and they choose who becomes an investor-owner. You can't just sell or buy a club on your own.

I suppose if no current owner was looking to sell when Beckham was looking to buy they'd have a problem, but they can also award new franchises whenever they want.

It's not really that strange by MLS' admittedly opaque standards, is it? Maybe I'm missing something.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see the value if it is "pre-approval" of a franchise application at the (then-current) going rate (there is some value in that, but not a hell of a lot), and SocScrim is right that the counterparty would have to be AEG if it does in fact concern the value.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

The value is he has an option other people don't, to buy something that's not on the open market. I don't see MLS selling anything for less than the going rate, really.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

But he and Fuller would be very likely to be approved as expansion owners anyway, even without the option.
goldstone97
Member # 4318

By the way, one has to think Becks would be the ideal frontman to launch an NYC expansion franchise in Queens.

Edit: yeah, of course they would be approved, but maybe not before (say) Mark Cuban. Maybe it's not very important, I just don't think it's particularly odd.

[ 21.03.2008, 18:10: Message edited by: goldstone97 ]

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

The first sentence may be the wrongest thing you have ever said on here.
goldstone97
Member # 4318

(From MLS' perspective.)
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think Brooklyn might be more appropriate.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

From the perspective of killing jv's interest in the Beautiful Game, perhaps.

Becks and the tradition of the Metropolitan Oval just don't work.

goldstone97
Member # 4318

I'd bet money (if I had any) that there'll be an MLS team in NYC by 2012 playing in a stadium near Shea.

Owner-investors Fred Wilpon, David Beckham, Simon Fuller and David Dein. First signing? Ronaldinho.

[ 21.03.2008, 18:16: Message edited by: goldstone97 ]

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

You're trying to kill me, aren't you?
  This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC