This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread (Page 51)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53   
Author Topic: alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "an" sounds better, because "m" sounds like "em". If you see what I mean (possibly not).
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin Payne shot down 3 Nike names for DC early on: Washington Force, Justice, and Spies. Thank God.

As for the DC uniforms. Their equipment guy is on Bigsoccer every so often, and I recall him saying that the team lobbied to keep the 3 stripes and mesh them with a sponsor logo, but Adidas wouldn't go for it now way no how. Hence their disappearance pending Verizon. Also, for those of you who dislike the current uniforms, prepare to continue your disappointment. Some of the DC fans asked him if a 3rd jersey would be possible this season or next, and his response (as of a couple months ago) was that Adidas has ALREADY done the '09 kit designs, and the '10 ones are almost done themselves. They work that far ahead.

Sounders: Might not go away, actually. One of the Sounders minority owners is looking into keeping the USL-1 franchise next year and moving them to Kitsap County (wherever that is) and keeping the Sounders name if at all possible.

Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you say "an Major League Soccer franchise"? Is it acceptable for acronyms?
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If their name was the Washington Justice, I wouldn't be a supporter. Washington Force is just assinine.

DC did try a red third jersey a few years ago in that dreadfully dull friendly against Boca Juniors, but that was the only time I saw it.

Inca, no, you'd say "a major league..."

The general rule is that you use "an" when the sound coming next is a vowel and "a" if it's a consanant. M is a consanant, but when you say it in an accronym, it comes out as "em." It's the sound that matters, not the actual letter.

So we say "an hour" but "a horse."

[ 21.03.2008, 22:02: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a 3rd a couple years ago, (un)affectionately referred to as the Cat in the Hat jersey. Red and white hoops, long blue sleeves. Ugly as shit.

I don't remember what we wore against Boca, I just remember suffocating heat, a stupid Boca red card, and it being worst match I have ever watched in person in my life. I've forgotten in self defense.

Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So we say "an hour"
Hmm, I don't. Nor do I say (or write) "an historian".
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

Rochester Rhinos are saved, meanwhile, and will drop the Raging part from their name, with a new logo to boot.

STRONGLY recommend you peruse the top few posts on this blog, discussing the current shoddy state of refereeing.

San Jose GM John Doyle's (yes, him) take on his team is here, and I'm adjusting my MFLS team accordingly in fear of anyone in blue.

Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the h's at the beginning of those two words are different. The "h" in "hour" is really just is silent, so the word is essentially pronounced "our". Thus, "an hour". The h that begins historian is a vocalized consonant, so you can say "a historian".

I am going to guess that, even if you aren't cognizant of it, you do throw in some sound between "a" and "hour", even if it's very slight.

[ 21.03.2008, 22:36: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's no wonder we've hit 51 pages before the season even starts with tangents like these.

So, one week to go. Peter Wilt has his predictions up on his blog:

quote:
Golden Boot.......................Luciano Emilio
Rookie of the Year................Brek Shea
Defender of the Year..............Wilman Conde
Goalkeeper of the Year............Joe Cannon
Newcomer of the Year..............Marcello Gallardo
MVP...............................Marcello Gallardo
Coach of the Year.................Denis Hamlett
Western Conf Champ (reg. season)..Houston
Eastern Conf Champ (reg. season)..DC
MLS Cup Champ.....................Chicago
Supporters Shield.................DC
US Open Cup Winner................Chicago
First Coach Fired.................Ruud Gullit
Western Conf. 1st Place...........Houston*
Western Conf. 2nd Place...........Chivas*
Western Conf. 3rd Place...........Dallas*
Western Conf. 4th Place...........San Jose*
Western Conf. 5th Place...........Colorado*
Western Conf. 6th Place...........RSL*
Western Conf. 7th Place...........LA*
Eastern Conference 1st Place......DC*
Eastern Conference 2nd Place......Chicago*
Eastern Conference 3rd Place......KC*
Eastern Conference 4th Place......NE*
Eastern Conference 5th Place......NY*
Eastern Conference 6th Place......Columbus*
Eastern Conference 7th Place......Toronto*
All-Star Winner (West Ham or MLS).MLS

I think we should all do ours before the season starts next week. I'm going to have to think about mine; I'm not sure I can be as Chicago-biased as Peter.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We should definitely do predictions. Does the MLS season merit its own thread?

Michael Bradley scored 2 goals today, including this one:

-

[ 22.03.2008, 21:16: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was way off.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

Not that it matters in the slightest, but after Toronto finished looking terrible and losing to Charleston Battery 2-0, San Jose and RBNY just kicked off in the second match of the doubleheader. San Jose kicked off, pushed the ball out left, and Kei Kamara headed in after about 11 seconds. Ahahaha.
Dynamo Kev
Member # 1119

- posted      Profile for Dynamo Kev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JV- you just can't give him any credit- can you?..
Posts: 318 | From: the town of birds in the Garden State | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a beautiful, well-timed, magnificent turning volley that just happened to be offsides and, you know, was undefended because it was offsides.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

It's close, but I think the guy who is appealing for offsides in the close-up was actually playing him on when the pass was made.

Jefe, I wouldn't laugh too much at RBNY: we lost 3-0 tonight to the Kickers. It was our reserves, but still.

This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC