This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread (Page 52)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53   
Author Topic: alexi lalas for mvp, or the galaxian soccer 2008 thread
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just the reserves, eh. The varsity looked good in a real match, I'll go with that.

In completely unrelated news, Baltimore Blast 13, Chicago Storm 0. I repeat, 0. This is the first shutout we've pitched since at least 1992. AWESOME.

Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just seen the most typical MLS NY play ever. Some random NY defender swats down a corner, PK. Ramiro Corrales takes it, big fat Zach guesses correctly, dives left and pushes it out. Another E-quake retrieves the ball on the end line and plays it in behind Zach, and the defender who conceded the PK lets the ball bounce off his feet for an own goal.
Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on that clip, I don't think he was offside, but the other guy might have been.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the Beckham 60 Minutes piece on the CBS news homepage. It said he had the option to buy an MLS team when his contract runs out, so it's not an option for the Galaxy specifically. Unfortunately, though, it didn't clarify what this meant.

It was interesting that Tim Leiwecke said that Beckham's income from his Galaxy contract and its various percentage deals exceeded what AEG initially estimated. So from at least one perspective his LA adventure has been a big success.

I really expect the guy to have a huge year on the field.

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
13-0 ? That was my 2nd worst game during my first ever year playing travel. That was on the Sunday that ABC aired the Soccer Bowl when Chicago beat the Cosmos in a shootout. We made it back from the Amish country to get our ass beat by Piscataway. Only goals counted for 1 point.

(That year our best game was a 5-0 loss. We finally scored one in our last game, a 6-1 loss. Our other scores were literally 6-0, 7-0, 8-0, 9-0, 10-0, 11-0, 13-0, and by 2 touchdowns.)

But yes, that does seem like a typical Metrostars play. Especially when our first ever game featured Nicola Caricoa's own goal against Fat Tony.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
13-0 ? That was my 2nd worst game during my first ever year playing travel. That was on the Sunday that ABC aired the Soccer Bowl when Chicago beat the Cosmos in a shootout. We made it back from the Amish country to get our ass beat by Piscataway. Only goals counted for 1 point.

(That year our best game was a 5-0 loss. We finally scored one in our last game, a 6-1 loss. Our other scores were literally 6-0, 7-0, 8-0, 9-0, 10-0, 11-0, 13-0, and by 2 touchdowns.)

But yes, that does seem like a typical Metrostars play. Especially when our first ever game featured Nicola Caricoa's own goal against Fat Tony when he chipped it up in the air on a Meola rebound when he knew full well Fat Tony was on his fat ass and he wouldn't have been able to catch it anyway as it was a passback. I still see it floating in the air.

Even winning the European Cup (as we beat European Cup champs Bayern Munich two weeks after they beat Valencia) couldn't erase that memory.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seattle MLS to fans wondering why Sounders isn't one of the name choices? Get over it.

[ 24.03.2008, 17:07: Message edited by: goldstone97 ]

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Predictions:

Golden Boot.......................Carlos Ruiz
Rookie of the Year................Chance Myers
Defender of the Year..............Jimmy Conrad
Goalkeeper of the Year............Brad Guzan
Newcomer of the Year..............Marcello Gallardo
MVP...............................Cuauhtemoc Blanco
Coach of the Year.................Dominic Kinnear
Western Conf Champ (reg. season)..Houston
Eastern Conf Champ (reg. season)..Chicago
MLS Cup Champ.....................Houston
Supporters Shield.................Chicago
US Open Cup Winner................Chicago
First Coach Fired.................Mo Johnston
Western Conf. 1st Place...........Houston
Western Conf. 2nd Place...........Dallas
Western Conf. 3rd Place...........Chivas
Western Conf. 4th Place...........LA
Western Conf. 5th Place...........San Jose
Western Conf. 6th Place...........Colorado
Western Conf. 7th Place...........RSL
Eastern Conference 1st Place......Chicago
Eastern Conference 2nd Place......DC
Eastern Conference 3rd Place......KC
Eastern Conference 4th Place......NY
Eastern Conference 5th Place......NE
Eastern Conference 6th Place......Columbus
Eastern Conference 7th Place......Toronto
All-Star Winner (West Ham or MLS).MLS

[ 25.03.2008, 19:52: Message edited by: goldstone97 ]

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think one of your categories is messed up, goldstone: I assume West/East conf champ should actually be playoffs, not regular season. Otherwise, it's going to be hard for DC to win the East with Chicago also finishing in first and winning the Supporters Shield!
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

Oops, I thought it was playoffs. Fixed. Though I've now given away that I expect Chicago to blow it in the playoffs.
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

That's our job.
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be surprised if MLS Seattle rethinks its naming strategy. Nobody wants to start a new team with such terrible PR.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

It's weird because Seattle has been hyping themselves as the 'democratic' club. I know Drew Carey convinced them to implement the model used in Spain (and elsewhere, I guess) where you can join the club and vote on upper management.

I just had this thought out of nowhere...goldstone is running a series on MLS expansion over at his ever-more-popular blog, and one of the cities that keeps coming up is Montreal. From a pure passion-of-supporters point of view, I think it's probably the best place remaining.

However, the bulk of their squad would have to be Canuck, right? The Canadian talent pool is thin already; I am not sure two Canadian teams could possibly be competitive if they has to split it.

goldstone97
Member # 4318

That's a good point about Montreal (and a certain OTFer is working on the Canadian article in the series), though this season they've already watered down the Canadian requirements somewhat for TFC, I think...I imagine they'd go further if another team joined. Plus, you can also now have more internationals, and that might extend further later on too.
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Golden Boot.......................Emilio
Rookie of the Year................Sean Franklin
Defender of the Year..............Jimmy Conrad
Goalkeeper of the Year............Joe Cannon
Newcomer of the Year..............Marcello Gallardo
MVP...............................De Rosario
Coach of the Year.................Preki
Western Conf Champ (reg. season)..Chivas USA
Eastern Conf Champ (reg. season)..DC
MLS Cup Champ.....................DC
Supporters Shield.................Chivas USA
US Open Cup Winner................Los Angeles
First Coach Fired.................Mo Johnston
Western Conf. 1st Place...........Chivas USA
Western Conf. 2nd Place...........Dallas
Western Conf. 3rd Place...........Houston
Western Conf. 4th Place...........LA
Western Conf. 5th Place...........Colorado
Western Conf. 6th Place...........San Jose
Western Conf. 7th Place...........RSL
Eastern Conference 1st Place......DC
Eastern Conference 2nd Place......Chicago
Eastern Conference 3rd Place......KC
Eastern Conference 4th Place......NE
Eastern Conference 5th Place......NY
Eastern Conference 6th Place......Columbus
Eastern Conference 7th Place......Toronto
All-Star Winner (West Ham or MLS).MLS

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 53 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC