This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » footballportugal Podcast (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: footballportugal Podcast
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to ask about Sepsi, he's going to be eventually replacing Léo at Benfica, so there are huge expectations of him. I don't know much about any of the players on their way to Romania, Phil would probably know something about Ferguesa.

Btw ad hoc, we answer your question in the first podcast.

Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New one is up if anybody fancies a listen:

Podcast 3

quote:
The Third footballportugal Podcast
January 21st, 2008

Welcome back to the third footballportugal podcast, probably the only place on the internet where you can hear two guys speak in English for over half an hour about Portuguese football (or Portuguese soccer, as our American listeners may prefer it).

In Part 1 we’ll be reviewing this weekend’s Taça de Portugal results. There were few surprises, Benfica struggled, Porto groaned and their fans managed to aim a few boos at their disgruntled footballing genius, Ricardo Quaresma. What’s more, Sporting scored four goals. There’ll be an in depth report on the Estrela Amadora Vs Sporting Braga game, along with some frank opinions on whether anyone really cares about the Taça de Portugal.

Part 2 will focus on the poor attendances at games in Portuguese football. Today’s edition of the daily Portuguese sports newspaper “a Bola” dedicated its first 4 pages to try and find a reason why attendances are so poor in Portugal. We’ll be summarising what they had to say and also offering our own tuppence on this matter.

Finally, in part 3, we’ll answer the question of the week (keep ‘em coming, e-mail: email_redacted) and previewing the weekend’s upcoming fixtures, most notably the clássico between Sporting and FC Porto next Sunday at 8 o’clock. We’ll also have a quick debate on bum advertising, can it ever be a good thing for the game?

We hope you enjoy this week’s podcast and please feel free to give us any feedback, either here on the site or by e-mail.

Thank you for listening.

Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just caught up on the first two installments and enjoyed them a lot. Great work steveeeeee. I actually had some kickarse questions/points of discussion lined up for you, but they seem to have seeped from my mind. I'll hopefully await their return.

By the way, wasn't Phil Town an otf poster many years ago? Has he changed username?

Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

Cheers Rory.

Phil posted as erwin but doesn't come on here any more as it distracts him from his work.

Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that was the whole point of OTF.

Well done on getting this podcast up and running stevetc. I had a brief listen the other day and will definately come back for more.

Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

Just finished uploading the new one, best so far, way too much to talk about and it seems like we've finally overcome the technical difficulties that have plagued us.

podcast 4

quote:
The Fourth footballportugal Podcast
January 28th, 2008

Welcome once again to our “classíco” special podcast. As weekends go in Portuguese football, you’ll rarely find one as exciting as this and that’s why we’re running a little bit longer than normal.

Part 1 reviews the weekend’s games, specifically Sporting’s shock 2-0 demolition of Porto. We’ll let you know what we think about Porto’s Brazilian international keeper, Helton, and I’ll have to eat my words regarding Paulo Bento’s faith in Sporting’s 19 year old goalkeeping prospect Rui Patricio. Kind words will be heaped upon Oscar Cardozo as his two goals helped Benfica beat Vítoria Guimarães 1-3 in Guimarães, but Phil doesn’t like the attitude of Benfica president Luis Filipe Viera. Also, shock of shocks, Lieria won (as I predicted) beating Académica 3-1.

Part 2 reviews the January transfers, or rather lack of them and looks at the possibility of Portugal’s new goalscoring hope, Makakula, joining Benfica tomorrow.

Part 3 concentrates on the “seleçao” and Luiz Filipe Scolari’s recent comments that Miguel Veloso’s arse may be a bit too big to fit on the bus to the European Championships in Austria and Switzerland this summer.

As always, don’t hesitate to contact us by either leaving a comment or by e-mailing us

email_redacted

The podcast will be a little bit late next week because it’s Carnival weekend, so don’t expect the fifth podcast until Wednesday 6th February.

Thank you for listening.

steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

The footballportugal Podcast Selecção (not so) Special

quote:
The footballportugal Podcast Selecção (not so) Special
February 7th, 2008

Are you convinced Cristiano Ronaldo is the finest player in the world? Do you believe Filipe Scolari will guide Portugal’s new golden generation to the final of Euro 2008? Well maybe you should listen to our new podcast, where we pick through the remaining bones of the lifeless carcass that is the Portuguese national team, beaten and thoroughly humbled by Italy last night at the Letzigrund Stadium in Switzerland. We’ll ask every question you have on the edge of your lips: Why did Scolari pack the midfield with ageing unfit players? Why was Ronaldo so ineffective? What positives can Portugal take from this result in the run up to Euro 2008?

In part 2 we review the previous weekend’s results and discuss the possible resemblance between Porto’s new hot-shot striker Ernesto Farías and Chaci from the American 1970s sitcom, “Happy Days”. What’s more, we’ve discovered the heartwarming reason why Lisandro Lopes makes funny gestures with his hands every time he scores a goal. Both Benfica and Sporting stay to form in letting their fans down the second they believe they might have a chance in pegging back Porto’s now 10 point lead in the league. We’ll be looking into the rumours that Camacho is going to escape Benfica to return to the Spain managerial hotseat and we’ll also try to reason why players like Belenenses’ Zé Pedro are unlikely to get a look in to Scolari’s selection. Last but not least, Boavista manager Jaime Pacheco’s no-rules wrestling display will be analysed in full.

Finally, in part 3, we look forward to the upcoming Taça de Portugal fixtures. The word of the week is “Assobios”, we’ll tell you what it means and why Sporting left-back Pontus Farnerud was on the recieving end of a few of them. Finally, we answer k’s question about the main rivalries in Portuguese football.

We’ll be back next Monday, in the meantime, feel free to send us any comments or questions, either on the site or by e-mail at email_redacted

Thank you for listening.

steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

Podcast 6

quote:
footballportugal Podcast - 11th February 2008
February 11th, 2008

Welcome back once again to another information packed podcast.

In Part 1 we review the weekend’s Taça de Portugal results. There was no romance at lowly Sertanense as Porto came away from their visit with a 0-4 victory. Benfica beat Paços de Ferreira 4-1, the star player for Benfica was arguably the referee, Augusto Duarte, who made several bizarre decisions in Benfica’s favour. Sporting dispatched of Marítimo, winning 2-1, Liedson scoring the winner. We’ll also debate the difference between a half volley and a shot taken “on the bounce.”

In Part 2 we’ll preview the upcoming fixtures of the remaining Portuguese teams in Europe. Porto continue in the Champions League and Braga, Benfica and Sporting compete in the UEFA Cup. There are some familar faces in the opposition teams, such as ex-Benfica player Carlitos, who plays for Basle, and ex-Portistas Diego and Hugo Almeida.

Finally in Part 3, with the trial of Valentim Louriero and Pinto da Sousa in the “Golden Whistle” scandal under way, Phil provides us with some background into the case. We have 3 words of the week this week, topically connected to referees, so listen to find out why fans shout “Palhaço!” and “Gatuno!” at the “arbitro”. We’ll also discuss Portuguese President Cavaco Silva’s thoughts on the possibility of Portugal joint hosting the 2018 World Cup with Spain. Lastly, we’ll look forward to next weekend’s fixtures.

As ever, don’t hesitate to contact us, particularly with any questions you may have by either leaving a comment here on the site or e-mailing us at: email_redacted

Thank you for listening.

sitek
Member # 1079

- posted      Profile for sitek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to let you know, steveeeeeeeee, that I listened in to 5 minutes' worth of your podcast (until I had to follow the call of duty and change 3 month old son's nappy) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Good job. Very informative for someone like me who knows little about Portuguese football. Will try and listen to more soon.
Posts: 876 | From: Fog on the Rhine | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

Cheers sitek!
Jamzinho
Member # 442

- posted      Profile for Jamzinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
agreed, i've also listened to the first couple and really liked them. Just downloaded the latest two - looking forward to hearing them. Well done [Smile]
Posts: 220 | From: Coventry | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a bit of a thon yesterday, listening to 3-5. Really enjoying them, particularly now that steveeeeeeeee's audible.

I'm really keen to get to a Casa Pia match next time I'm in Portugal. I used to drive past all the time when I was there in '92.

Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

Cheers Rory. Thankfully the days of poor sound levels are behind us now but it was a real pain in the arse at first.

The podcast is starting to really pick-up momentum, I don't really have the time to virally market it but word of mouth is really spreading. There are loads of messageboards where second generation Portuguese immigrants in English speaking countries chat about the game at it seems like we're starting to be discovered. So far the only negative stuff people have said about our podcast were some Germans who publicised it for our views on the treatment of the Nuremberg supporters who were baton charged by Portuguese police, one of them thought the podcast was a bit slow.

We're getting about a hundred downloads a week, podcast 1 has been downloaded over 350 times, which is a bit embarrassing as the quality of it is awful compared to the podcasts we record now.

There's definitely a knack to the whole thing and I think we're getting into a groove, the main problem we're having is keeping it down to about 40 minutes, last week's podcast was 50 minutes long, but I suppose it's better having something to say than nothing at all.

Podcast 9!!!

quote:
footballportugal Podcast - 03/03/08
March 3rd, 2008

Derbies and stalemates are the order of the weekend in Portugal as teams in The Minho, Porto and Lisbon go head to head. The Minho derby between Braga and Guimarães has little report other that an increasing admiration of Braga’s little annoying right-back, João Perreira. There’s another stalemate at The Bessa as a new look attack focussed Boavista hold Porto 0-0. After the game, Ricardo Quaresma’s comments about exactly who decided he could put his feet up for the past couple of weeks to catch up on his favourite daytime TV programmes causes a bit of uproar, which we analyse in full. Sporting and Benfica drew 1-1, there were penalty incidents and possible sending-offs galore, with an actual sending off chucked in for good measure and we’ll have an opinion on everything. Setúbal were the only team to actually win this weekend and the never ending praise for Cláudio Pitbull goes on and on, better than Beckham? More influential than Riquelme? We reckon.

In part 2, we review the previous week’s Taça de Portugal fixtures, the three grandes went through alongside Setúbal and one can only hope that this fantastic side get a home draw in tomorrow’s draw. We debate which Moreirense kit looks the best, the yellow one or the green one? We also look forward to this week’s European fixtures.

Finally in part 3, with the recent sad passing of Belenenses’ president Cabral Ferreira, we talk about the way Portuguese people respect one minute’s silences at games. On a lighter note, we have a culinary cornucopia of words of the week this week as we let you know exactly what bifanas, sandes do couratos and entremadas are and just what you ask for to wash them down with.

Unforunately there were some problems with our server at the weekend so some comments posted about the last show were lost, alongside updates to the glossary. Even still, please keep the comments coming, we really appreciate them, either leave them here on the site or e-mail us at: email_redacted

Thank you for listening.

Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you and Phil meet up to do these, steve? I thought maybe he lived in Porto, not sure why.

They're very good, I'm enjoying them immensely. Might try to do something similar in Finland too, if it isn't too technically challenging.

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC