This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The latest WSC with Blackburn Rovers on the cover (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The latest WSC with Blackburn Rovers on the cover
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PR7: Well, I don't think that any particular club can particularly benefit the League that it is in, apart from in the sense of having a massive travelling support that brings 10,000 or more to each other member club for one match per season. None of this is to say that the NPL should be "grateful" for FCUM being there, because they're kind of stuck with each other. Ultimately, the NPL's petulance over this matter doesn't help me resolve this question - if the NPL doesn't exist for the benefit of its member clubs and the supporters of those clubs, then what does it exist for?
Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued ... what was the Christmas Dinner affair?
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the article on Zaire was certainly thought provoking...after the debacle of the 9-0 thrashing by Yugoslavia the players were told in no uncertain terms that losing to Brazil by more than three goals would not be acceptable...

this is used in mitigation to explain the infamous free kick whereby the lad ran 10 yards to hoof the ball up the pitch with 5 minutes to go and the team indeed 3 goals down...

can anyone actually confirm the free kick was this late in the game?

Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Zaire free-kick incident took place just before Brazil went 3-0 up, about ten minutes from the end of the game. Brazil scored with their next attack. That third goal, which squirmed in under the Zaire keeper's body, got them through ahead of Scotland.

[ 15.01.2008, 22:44: Message edited by: Lieutenant Frank Drebin ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The North West Counties League have an annual dinner, and each club is required by the rules to buy four tickets and send four people on those tickets. It's essentially a fundraiser for the league.

FC United asked if they had to be Board members of the club, as they'd like to spread the tickets around people who'd volunteered to help the club out, and were told this was fine, but they should note not to give any to any women, as the dinner was a male-only affair.

The club said that they'd not be sending anyone if that was the case, and the league said that if they didn't send anyone, they'd be in breach of the league's rules, and they'd be kicked out of the league for this. FC United started laughing and asked them if they really thought that would be in the best interests of the league and its member clubs. The matter was quietly dropped.

All of which answer 200%s question as to who's benefit these things are run for; the league officials and other assorted admin types who are relatively influential within the English game as a result, people like Alan Turvey, President of the Ryman League, Member of the FA Board, member of the Financial Regulation Committee and many, many, other FA Committees.

Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all that FCUM appear to have right on their side on their dealings with the league, I'd have thought they need to play it pretty astutely in their dealings with administrators. The principle that no club, no matter how well supported, is bigger than the league it plays in; and the principle that clubs and leagues need regulation and fairly applied rules is one that I'm guessing most FCUM leading lights would agree with. Therefore how they deploy their undoubtedly strong arguments is very important, tactically. Our Special Club-ism must be resisted. The issue is that the league itself needs more democracy.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, and I know from speaking with them, the thing they are most annoyed with in this is the reneging on the agreements made with clubs and siding with a pretty small-beer commercial partner against the expressed interests and wishes of two of its clubs.

It's the ceding of power and influence to the TV company that irks, not that the TV company had a contract and wanted to show them.

Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wingco, what's Stylo?

You ought to earn a complimentary Scotch egg, by the way, for managing to shoehorn no fewer than three more-or-less irrelevant Arsenal references into an article about a Derby v Middlesbrough match.

Gotta disagree with you about inheriting a pub-style bar in your living room. I'd love one of those. Lauren Laverne used to have one in her gaff, and it was ace.

Oh, and applause for the Timothy Spall gag...

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I actually noticed those Arse references afterwards - unconscious tic!
Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stylo was a brand of football boot very popular in the early 70s. They had a white stripe going from "front to back" just at either side of the laceholes. Both George Best and I wore them to differing affect.
I think both Sunderland & Leeds wore them in the 1973 FA Cup final.(probably just painted the lines onto their regular boots).

On my first rip to Pride Park we gingerly picked our way along the snowy pathways of the industrial estate past a wire fence which had people sitting in a hot tub inches away from us....very bizarre.

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadsworth cloud
Member # 1513

- posted      Profile for shadsworth cloud     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the article about derby is a disappointment. how can anybody describe derby as "in the north"
but maybe as someone said, it is all done for effect.

Posts: 183 | From: blackburn | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SC: The "north" reference was what I had originally logged on to post about. Mebbes the midlands has been made redundant.

[ 16.01.2008, 20:03: Message edited by: Tyrannosaurus Alan ]

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's onto something there. If you head north out of London on the M1, Derby and Leicester are the first places that feel "northern" (even if they are in the Midlands). I mean, keep going for another half an hour or whatever and you're in Sheffield. The towns south of there (Northampton, Milton Keynes and so on) still feel like outposts of the home counties.
Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One day last summer, my best mate said "I've finally been to the North!". I said "Oh yeah, where did you go?". He said "Nottingham".
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Certainly, if you go to Derby you could swear you were in the North. It's all very well being in the Midlands but you can't just sit there in the middle of the country, you've got to exude some sort of palpable, distinctive Midlands-ness, otherwise metropolitan journos, through no fault of their own, will lump you in with Middlesbrough, Sheffield, Carlisle, etc.
Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC