This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Eagles and Seagulls (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Eagles and Seagulls
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How on earth can anyone like seagulls? Having been brought up half a mile from the sea and with my GF living on the south coast I despise em. Their even scummier than pigeons. Seagulls as in bird not the team I mean, Brightons my fave away game to attend. Bar none.
Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zombie
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Zombie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rokerites was a London press term and never heard anywhere outside of the media circles.
Well, I was nowt but a lad at the time, but I don't recall any-one cheering "Up the Glaziers!" either. I well remember my astonishment on hearing some old duffer (i.e. some-one who was probably younger than I am now) shouting "Up the P's", as this was the only variant to "Palace" I ever heard. The quite bogus invention of "Eagles" was merely filling a void, not replacing a beloved nickname.

And I firmly refuse to believe that any-one, at any time, ever cheered on "The Biscuitmen". Not even in the 19th century.

Posts: 167 | From: Berkshire | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The citizens is the one I always remember hearing for Manchester City, and wondering where/why/how it came in place. Trying to think back, the use of "blues" is about the only other one that is ever used. Hardly an issue in this context, as there is no real nickname as I see it.

[ 16.01.2008, 15:20: Message edited by: die grosse linke Hand ]

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was also nowt but a lad back in 1975 when "Fedora clad Malcolm Allisons Crystal Palace team" (more media speak there) arrived at Roker. Alan fuckin Whittle!
Anyway the cries of "Eagles" were impressive, especially when no-one knew where they were coming from (pre-segregation days). "Eagggllleeessss" can be shouted without any moving of lips!!!

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man City have sort of become the Blues but I think all supporters and the club should be forced to embrace The Citizens.

I am sure some Reading supporters still use Biscuitmen, even if it may be tongue-in-cheek, they have a fanzine/site called Hob Nob Anyone in tribute. !Royals"? I mean, come on?!

There is a collection of fifties/sixties cigarette cards of teams and their nicknames which should be adopted as the legal gold standard on the issue and no deviation from the moniker used there should be allowed.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glass half empty
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for glass half empty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Colchester United/Wycombe Wanderers rivallry goes back to the 1991-92 season in the conference. The fact that it has survived 'til today when there are few other reasons for the clubs to be rivals is a testimony to how intense it was that season. In a titanic struggle Colchester and Wycombe Wanderers were in a mini-league of their own, finishing 21 points clear of the rest of the table. The U's pipped it on goal difference and were back in the Football League; Wycombe were promoted the following season. The deciding fixture between the teams that season included a late late goal by the Colchester Goalie that proved decisive.

[ 16.01.2008, 16:23: Message edited by: glass half empty ]

Posts: 79 | From: Evesham | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glass half empty
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for glass half empty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other dodgy modern nicknames that should be obliterated; Barcodes/Toon, Baggies, Gooners. absolute crap the lot of them.
Posts: 79 | From: Evesham | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nocturnal Submission
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Nocturnal Submission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good shout on Baggies, or even the Boing Boing Baggies - they're the Throstles as far as I'm concerned.
Posts: 2168 | From: Revelling In The Hole | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blameless
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for blameless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re the Throstles/Baggies thing: I think there's room for proper, fan-driven changes like that as opposed to marketing-driven ones.

For example, Cowdenbeath's nickname used to be the rather insipid "Cowden" until the 1990s when the fans dubbed the team "The Blue Brazil" on the grounds that they were having an unexpectedly good season. Soon, fans of other teams were referring to Central Park's finest by that name too, and the club adopted the Blue Brazil as their official nickname.

Posts: 3576 | From: a factually and morally wrong perspective | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nocturnal Submission
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Nocturnal Submission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's a lot to be said for that point of view but, well, I don't think that Harry will see it that way, arch-traditionalist that he is.
Posts: 2168 | From: Revelling In The Hole | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So when do we Brighton fans get to call the nickname "Seagulls" a tradition, then?

Excellent explanations of the origins of the rivalry by everyone, by the way, and I'd add to ursus' emphasis on the bank holiday thing as it's continually referred to in terrace chants by both sets of supporters, even though we don't play them on bank holidays much anymore.

What annoys me is people often presume it's more of a rivalry for Brighton than Palace (since it seems to make more sense for us), but that's only marginally the case.

And I'm not rising to the bait from the Palace fan on page 1, you'll note.

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to ajudicate on a case by case basis and will allow Cowdenbeath but sorry, "Seagulls" is out.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you allowing "Eagles" then, Harry? Because that's a wretched nickname. Crystal Palace have got nothing to do with eagles.
Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do we get an explanation with these verdicts?
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

I am certainly not allowing "Eagles", in fact Palace are having a dozen other offences taken in to consideration and are likely to be closed down as a result.

I might explain the verdicts but it will mainly be down to the capricious whim of the twisted court of Judge Harry.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC