This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Newcastle United's new manager is... (Page 25)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Newcastle United's new manager is...
Tom Deartle III
Member # 237

- posted      Profile for Tom Deartle III     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ashley is thought by some to be having a funny turn, psychologically speaking...Apparently, he recently divorced...Ashley is having a mid-life crisis.
As a young man I remember hearing the very same thing happening to Ted Nugent, this is how it manifested itself on his next lp cover :

-

Not sure what this has to do with Newcastle, but just look at Ted's neck muscles!

Posts: 307 | From: way back yonder cross the hill | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newcastle United today announced that they are to bring Steve Mclaren to the club as Director of Dennis Wise. Magpies chairman Chris Mort has stressed that Mclaren, 46, will have no day-to-day involvement with Wise, but will concentrate on areas such as personal hygeine and handwriting development.

And Wise- who saw Newcastle lose 3-0 at Arsenal in the Premier League on Tuesday, a repeat of the sides' FA Cup result three days earlier - believes the policy can pay dividends. He said: "The club has become slightly fragmented. From my point of view, it's a positive thing - I need all the help I can get.

I know Steve. I know he's intelligent. I know his job here is to help me. He's on my side. I know what Steve is going to do, and the idea in principle is good - to stop me mouthing off, to make sure my tie is done up properly and do things which my wife isn't doing so much at the moment."

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very nature of the Director Of Football role means that the encumbent is expected to be actively involved across all footballing activities at a football club. The head coach doesn't, he's in charge of the team, a pretty demanding but singular role.

Accordingly pretty much every example of this management structure that I can think of sees the Coach answer in to the Director Of Football, some may have a flatter structure where they will both answer in to the Chairman or President.

However I've never seen a situation where the Director Of Football will answer to the Head Coach, it's utterly ludicrous. How can Keegan appraise the job Wise is doing with the Youth Academies or with developing scouting networks when he's not going to have the time (or remit) to see progress at first hand ?

Passion Beyond Reason. Haway !

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dalliance talks a lot of sense on this thread.

I'm afraid.

Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear that, Otto.
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next problem I think Newcastle will have, yes there's yet more, comes with PR.

The club has struggled for years with bad PR, from the directors downwards. A stable, well run club has a lid on all of this stuff and a workforce who are all onboard with the same message. When this is breached as it was with Bellamy and the golf club stuff at Liverpool, or Manchester United with their Xmas party, then it's stamped on hard and fast. It's managed basically.

Newcastle have never been able to manage their PR and the signs under the new regime are not promising. Considerable ridicule has been aimed at their support, fairly or unfairly, over the past 6 months for their fantasy world romanticism and overwrought sense of the importance of them and their club to the nation's social fabric.

A coherent PR strategy would be to seek to change this negative perception, play up the modesty angle, emphasise the determination to get up to the level of Man United and Arsenal one day, trot out platitudes about how hard everyone was willing to work to achieve this lofty goal. Instead you get the owner coming out and saying, actually we ARE special, we DO deserve success and we SHOULD play with flair and style and we should win too, so propagating the 'who's for us' mentality among the support that helps cause this perpetual circle of underachievement based around out of kilter expectations.

Now Mort made the right noises yesterday, suggesting that this management structure was the vision that was sold to Keegan from the outset, but immediately from Keegan's response you get the sense that all is not particularly well with him. He seems to feel threatened - thus the need to establish who's boss for no apparent reason.

Therein lies the problem. Keegan is also something of a PR nightmare. When he's happy and on song then he's bright and breezy and great company, but he's a maverick who will say what he wants when he wants it. He speaks before engaging his brain all too often.

With such radical changes taking place then it's of course understandable that Newcastle are dominating the headlines, with this new team in place they should be getting their heads down and getting on with their work quietly and hopefully efficiently and certainly on message.

The media should be speculating solely on Wise's suitability for this job, Keegan has ensured that this story will now run and run because they also now can speculate as to whether Keegan is happy about it, who is doing what, who answers to whom etc. It gives the story new oxygen and keeps the club all over the back pages for all the wrong reasons.

This stuff shouldn't be hard for them to grasp.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a bit of credit for the Major, please.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I can't stand all that "The Pride and the Passion" stuff, but on the other hand, "Say what you like about the club, at least everyone's on message" doesn't exactly quicken the blood.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clarification from Leeds caretaker manager Gwyn Williams:

quote:
Williams said later: "Dennis said goodbye to the players this morning. It's been a difficult couple of games. I have known Dennis since he was 13 and he has done a great job turning things around in a little time. His new role is different but Dennis is bright enough to cope. He is going to take on the role Frank Arnesen has at Chelsea and Liam Brady at Arsenal.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Report/0,,2249029,00.html
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the Newcastle board misunderstood when Keegan told them he was desperate to work alongside Chippy?
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice one major.
Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
frank arnessen and Liam brady do completely different things.
Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is the Nuge intending to play either of those guitars?

Ashley has previous with nebulous job titles. The job he gave himself after Sports Direct floated was something like Executive Deputy Chairman, which ensured he wouldn't be the one answering shareholders' questions. He's since been forced to move to Chairman.

If Wise's job is like Liam Brady's, surely Keegan has nothing to worry about? I'm yet to hear anyone suggest Brady is making decisions over Wenger's head. Doubt he gets paid 1.5million, though.

Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
''With such radical changes taking place then it's of course understandable that Newcastle are dominating the headlines, with this new team in place they should be getting their heads down and getting on with their work quietly and hopefully efficiently and certainly on message.''

though this new team has only been in place since errr yesterday so what chance of expecting quiet and efficent work at this moment in time....

Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
''A KK inspired meltdown will hopefully result in Newcastle finishing last in the North Easts "Bald Men Fighting Over A Comb" award for Premiership finishing positions''

and if SAFC somehow defy belief and win this award they will also claim the double of regional Top Dog....strangely its only ever been played for in the two seasons of 2000 and 2001 ..

Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC