This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Newcastle United's new manager is... (Page 26)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Newcastle United's new manager is...
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I can't stand all that "The Pride and the Passion" stuff, but on the other hand, "Say what you like about the club, at least everyone's on message" doesn't exactly quicken the blood.

Newcastle doesn't need any more blood quickening.

Dalliance is right. What is needed above all else is a consistent sense of stability and the explanation of a long-term approach to achieving sensible and attainable improvements on the field.

Sadly it is often forgotten that any PR camapign that does not have a fundamental base in truth is doomed to fail. It may take a while but it will collapse eventually.

To present Newcastle as a club entering a new era of common sense management, based on setting and then achieving realistic on-field targets is impossible.

The chairman appears to have adult ADD (seriously, he does) and the coach has a proven history of irrational behaviour.

The Director of Football, (again as Dalliance says quite rightly) is traditionally above the manager in a club heirarchy. If that person was a conservative, experienced figure that might moderate the behaviour of the other two key personalities.

He isn't and he doesn't.

The process (okay, there was no process but you know what I mean) that has led to this point (and the people involved) suggests that far from being stable the club is headed for even more spectacular implosions. You can't spin that.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may not be entirely fair in this case, but a friend of mine had the expression "like a bucket of gelignite on a roller coaster".
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still no word at all from Wise on his decison. Notice he took his tea boy along with him to the Toon, Joe Allon was his "bitch" at Leeds, but no one knew just what he did...
Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're going into the back end of this season with a squad thinner than prison soup:

27 first team players, if you include the likes of Fraser Forster (0 appearances), David Edgar (4 appearances), Ben Tozer (0 appearances), Andy Carroll (4 appearances), James Troisi (0 appearances), Kazenga LuaLua (3 appearances). Fair play to them, LuaLua, Carroll and Edgar haven't disgraced themselves, but they shouldn't be as close to the first team as they are.

That leaves 21 players with a modicum of experience.

Then take away the players that are known duffers: Carr (shit), Cacapa (shit), Barton (mis-shape), Duff (invisible), Smith (professional footballer impersonator), Ameobi (probably still sat in a bar somewhere talking about breaking into the England squad), Ramage (not very good), Viduka (Easter Island statue.)

So there's 13 players I'd say could pass off as premiership footballers, give or take. Four of them are at the African Nations (though two are coming home), and we've just packed one off to Lazio for christ knows what reason.

Yes, a PR campaign would be nice - but I'd rather we had some frigging footballers first.

Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some interesting reading for Toon fans here:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,2250604,00.html

Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Still no word at all from Wise on his decison. Notice he took his tea boy along with him to the Toon, Joe Allon was his "bitch" at Leeds, but no one knew just what he did...
Just how deep is your personal resovoir of bile regarding percieved injustices against Leeds, Batty?

Just in the last 24 hrs you've mewled like a jilted schoolgirl about a player choosing to go on loan to a club a division higher rather than permanently commit himself to Leeds when their own manager wasn't hanging around and now someone who switches coaching jobs is a "tea boy" and a "bitch"!

This is what happens to the majority of clubs, you're not special and you're not famous any more so get used to it.

[ 01.02.2008, 12:54: Message edited by: Harry Carpenter ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahaha
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newcastle doesn't need any more blood quickening.

given the diet of the typical newcastle fan, you don't think it needs thickening do you?

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's more on how you read my words, rather than the intent behind how I have written them Harry, sometimes this board needs the smily wink things. Still, I am happy to bite your fishhook comments as the day is going slowly...

The thing about football is, its a passionate game Harry. You may/may not read my reports fully and you may see that I wear my heart on my sleeve. I travel the length and breadth of this country and indeed Europe following my passion and indeed there are times where I have thrown out the teddy from the pram and if you ask my family, there are times where my commitment to the club I love has and continued to call into question my sanity. Now, you may or may not do or feel the same about Cardiff City or any other club for those smugly chipping in this particular debate. You may or may not have the same pride about your club and about what happens to it. If my personal passion comes through at times as a, what was it, "jilted School girl" then frankly, so be it. Just as some comments I read on here about Leeds, Bates etc come across as bitter, twisted , angry and in some case's jealous jibes. But you know what, I don't care overly, I know that football is about emotions and about the rollercoaster of excitement and ups and down and you know what, I am Leeds, I am proud of it and furthermore, after all the shit that the club and the fans have been through over the years and all the hatred of this "not famous" anymore club attracts & for better or for worse, I wouldn't change it for the world. Good on you if you can say the same about the club you follow...

Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't see what "passion" and "pride" have got to do with grizzling about a journeyman striker failing to drop a division to join you or a coach leaving to work at his hometown Premiership club.

I respect and share the lengths you go to in actually supporting your club but a lot of what you indulge in isn't support, it's mindless belly-aching and posturing.

I do hate this idea that you've got to be one of these "Cut me and I bleed (inset colours here)" types spouting blinkered partisan nonsense 100% of the time to prove you really support your side. Sometimes it's about stopping to ponder things and being critical.

You don't have to hand in your brains at the turnstile to be a real supporter and I have far more time for people who can temper the "pride" and "passion" with some grasp on the reality of their clubs. The fact that you so readily buy in to the siege mentality Bates thrives on at Leeds really isn't a plus, it's a negative.

I don't quite know what you mean by

quote:
"I wouldn't change it (my club) for the world. Good on you if you can say the same about the club you follow..."
Are you saying you wouldn't swap your support to another club? If so, who would? If you're saying there's nothing at all you'd change about your club, then you're clearly mad.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

"I really don't see what "passion" and "pride" have got to do with grizzling about a journeyman striker failing to drop a division to join you or a coach leaving to work at his hometown Premiership club."

Again, the tone written for both posts you refer to were tounge in cheek? No one at the club ever really knew what Allon did, other than pre: match, he would wander out with Wise deep in conversation - there was always terrace banter about what exactly he did! As for the striker bid, If you read through all the threads that contain the references to him, you will find I actually commended him for staying to fight for his place? But hey, lets not let your possible selective reading change that...

"I respect and share the lengths you go to in actually supporting your club but a lot of what you indulge in isn't support, it's mindless belly-aching and posturing."

Honestly, you really don't know me at all...

"I do hate this idea that you've got to be one of these "Cut me and I bleed (inset colours here)" types spouting blinkered partisan nonsense 100% of the time to prove you really support your side. Sometimes it's about stopping to ponder things and being critical."

And I think you will find that is something I try to do. For example, my match reports are hardly onesided. But really Harry, some of your low shots recently have lead me to think that actually, why bother? Let's have some old fashioned fun & banter rather than being all PC about things?

"You don't have to hand in your brains at the turnstile to be a real supporter and I have far more time for people who can temper the "pride" and "passion" with some grasp on the reality of their clubs. The fact that you so readily buy in to the siege mentality Bates thrives on at Leeds really isn't a plus, it's a negative."

Perhaps you should make a pot of tea and sit through the "Leeds relegation thread" sometime and compare my responses to what was written. It may change your opinion on how I personally temper my Pride and Passion, and I am sure you are not suggeresting that football should be a Pride / Passionless enviroment...

"Are you saying you wouldn't swap your support to another club? If so, who would?"

Yes and Many on this board have...

"If you're saying there's nothing at all you'd change about your club, then you're clearly mad."

No, thats not what I am saying, clearly when I am rich, I want to be like Mike Ashley...

Though I am perhaps clearly mad...

Now, should we dissect further for the viewing pleasure of others or perhaps speak offline further?

Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

Batty,

I've got nothing personal against you, you generally seem a nice chap but sometimes it's like reading a Leeds (or a Cardiff, or a Hartlepool or whoever) Rivals board with you.

My longer answer has got chewed up and lost so I'll leave it with this.

What on earth does ;

quote:
Let's have some old fashioned fun & banter rather than being all PC about things?
actually mean? "PC" has next to no real meaning in everday life anyway but in the context of a football discussion it is spectacularly devoid of significance.

Personally, I could do with the word "banter" joining "pride" and "passion" as being severely rationed in their use with regard to supporting football clubs. I'm happy with evidence of the latter two getting an airing inside the ground but in general they've been bandied about so much that like "freedom" and "democracy" they've lost their meaning.

[ 01.02.2008, 15:13: Message edited by: Harry Carpenter ]

ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Batty,

I've got nothing personal against you, you generally seem a nice chap

He is the Devil's malice made flesh! See you not the evil in his eyes? Burn him! Burn him!

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

Ian clearly knows me better...

"sometimes it's like reading a Leeds (or a Cardiff, Or a Hartlepool or whoever) Rivals board with you."

Not that I have read or posted on such boards, so will have to take your word for it, but If you appreciate that a lot (but not all) of my writing style on various posts (not necessarily reports) is tongue in cheek, then hopefully they shouldn't wind you up as much...

Banter: If you take away the high brow stuff that has been posted on here regarding Newcastle, there is still a level of banter or school yard bullying towards a set of fans that are perceived to being a figment of fun. Sometimes message boards are more sanitised and I suppose PC may not have been the right way to explain that. As I grew up, this banter between mates who supported teams was in the form of jibes and cheap shots, that's how I perceive a lot of your recent posts. Hence my attitude to some of them...

Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ignore him Battylad. Harry rates alongside dalliance on the OTF Grumpomoter.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC