This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » This Is Al-Field (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: This Is Al-Field
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Sheikh Mohammed apparently now about to make Gillett and Hicks an offer they can't refuse, the main question is will Jamie Carragher be put out to stud?
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least give him a bit and a nosebag, so we dont have to suffer that high-pitched "eeeerrm" ever again.
Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can somebody please explain the "crisis" that is driving Liverpool fans to a mass protest this evening?
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Telegraph, by the way, is describing the situation as a "nightmare".
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"crave Dubai ending"? Is there a pun heavily camouflaged in that phrase?
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joey wilson
Member # 1472

- posted      Profile for joey wilson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can somebody please explain the "crisis" that is driving Liverpool fans to a mass protest this evening?
Everton are 4th.
Posts: 185 | From: the college field | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can we have the Chelsea equivalent for this? Fundamentalist soaked petrodollars or somesuch.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Maktoums aren't known for their piety, are they?

It's more along the lines of petrodollars soaked in the sweat of slave labourers from the Subcontinent.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, but Dubai is supposed to be the main conduit for Al Qaida financing. Allegedly.

(This is supposedly the reason that despite being the epitome of western style decadence, and a fairly easy and local target, it's never been attacked)

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss...
I'd rather DIC were in there that Hicks and Gillett, but then I'd rather they'd won in the first place. Having said that, they're not there for the laugh are they? They're there for a profit.
Maybe the financial bods among us can tell us whether DIC are likely to put the debt onto the club like Hicks and Gillett aim to, or whether DIC will essentially put the money up?
The crisis, Statto is that if things stay as they are, the club will end up with 30 million in interest payments a year, a debt of 300m and a sacked manager to whom a lot of the best players are loyal, no new stadium and our assets ripped out from under us.
Like Leeds, essentially, but significantly worse.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

You could try selling Harry Kewell to cover the debt...
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ad hoc, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some "Al Qaeda financing" passed through (or even originated in) Dubai, but one could say the same of London for European operations and New York for North American ones. It's the regional finance centre, with a vast volume of money flowing through the place for largely logistical reasons. And given that AQ have always been notable for funding their operations on a relative shoe string (9/11 cost only a few hundred thousand USD, if I recall correctly), the percentage of those flows that are "tainted" is miniscule.

I would put down the lack of attacks more to the absence of any significant indigenous support (which is what would make Dubai different from Bali, for instance).

Hobbes, the assumption is that DIC won't load the debt on the club because they are swimming in cash and don't have any history of doing leveraged buyouts (unlike Hicks, who has done little but).

I'm struggling to see how Hicks can think that the club is worth more to DIC with the debt than without it. The interest of RBOS and their counterparts in cashing the juicy fees are obvious, but Hicks shouldn't be getting a cut of those.

I wonder if Gillet can sell his stake in the holding company without offering it to Hicks. That would be an interesting move.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, there was talk of it being the other way around. DIC buying out Hicks and going in with Gillett.
Can't see that happening though.

I guess Hicks thinks that if they get the re-financing agreed, he's got a fallback position, so he can push the price up.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

I actually don't think it is that strange.

As I see it, Gillet would have been more comfortable buying the club himself, but never had the funds and therefore needed Hicks. He has, however, found himself unable to control either Hicks' loose cannon characteristics or the credit crunch that has hurt Hicks a lot more than it has hurt him.

A DIC/Gillet team would seem to be more compatible from a personality standpoint, and Gillet's North American experience would be helpful to the Makhtoums if they share the "global brand" concept favoured by other recent purchasers of Premier League clubs. However, they don't need Gillet's money and the taint he has acquired in the eyes of supporters and the English media during his association with Hicks is likely to outweigh whatever advantages DIC may have seen before in keeping him around.

Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You could try selling Harry Kewell to cover the debt...
Surely Kewell could comfortably loan them enough to cover the debt personally ?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC