This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » This Is Al-Field (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: This Is Al-Field
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
gt3 has it nailed on - the business model introduced by Glazer and Gillette and Hicks makes overnight success a necessity for the survival of the club, whilst not making on-the-pitch success any more likely. It's not just a lack of 'inflated expectations' that makes Lerner popular - it's the fact that he hasn't put the club's survival on the line to make a quick buck.
Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gt3
Member # 1591

- posted      Profile for gt3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"it's the fact that he hasn't put the club's survival on the line to make a quick buck."

Abso-f*cking-lutely.

Posts: 1308 | From: the home of the Royal Artillery 1716 - 2007 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
gt3 has it nailed on - the business model introduced by Glazer and Gillette and Hicks makes overnight success a necessity for the survival of the club
Could we call that Ridsdaleism?
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could, but I'd say with Ridsdale it was a result of idiocy rather then careful calculation. And Ridsdale wasted the money on overpriced players bought on hire purchase rather than interest payments.
Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You could, but I'd say with Ridsdale it was a result of idiocy rather then careful calculation.
<Sigh>.

Hicks and Gillett - idiocy or careful calculation?

quote:
And Ridsdale wasted the money on overpriced players bought on hire purchase rather than interest payments.
Are you saying one is better than the other?
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Liverpool - foreign owners comes in, don't splash the cash but keep transfer activities at roughly the same level they were at before, team remains same league position as before. Fans go mental and demand to be bought out by a different set of foreigners.
you are forgetting "dickhead owner threatens to sack popular manager for pointing out his bullshit." that was what initially provoked the anger against G&H.

people have claimed here that the liverpool fans are split on whether rafa should be sacked, but in fact a large majority supports him. you can even gauge it reasonably accurately on here from the fact that the main rafa-baiters are the liverpool-haters, drebin, eazy and AI "dogshit" ATL.

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on, you eejit, I want him to stay as much as you do, because there is more chance of Daniel O'Donnell winning the Mercury Prize than there is of Liverpool winning a league under him.

I know five or six Liverpool fans. You and Toro want him to remain in office. The others all see him as a bluffer (their word, not mine) who is still dining out on 25/5/2005 and they would like him to fuck off soon.

[ 22.01.2008, 13:43: Message edited by: Lieutenant Frank Drebin ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nil a fhios agam
Member # 1386

- posted      Profile for Nil a fhios agam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Hicks and Glazer method it means a careful calculation for the new owners as they have the opportunity of large reward for little risk (all risk transferred to the club rather than their own pockets) but idiotic for the football club because of the high risk of footballing catastrophe if the model fails.

AG - I think you're oversimplifying dramatically. The continued success of FC United hasn't stopped because the big boys won the league.

The main difference between Lerner and Hicks/Gillett is that Lerner has kept his word with what he promised. At the time of Liverpool's takeover it was said that Hicks and Gillett would use their own money, provide further transfer funds, not interfere in football matters and build a new stadium.* They haven't delivered what they said they would at takeover time.

*There were plenty of people saying they couldn't deliver this at the time but the main reasons they got favourable PR is because of these.

Posts: 921 | From: Fair City | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StephL
Member # 1719

- posted      Profile for StephL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LFB - put me in the second category...
Posts: 546 | From: Brussels, still Belgium for now | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steph, you will like this.

http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/sackhimorsavehim/play.php

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger Of Hope
Member # 684

- posted      Profile for Harbinger Of Hope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are huge differences in foreign investers, and the main one isn't even transfer fund related. Its all about who's money actually buys the club. As far as Glazer, and Gillette and Hicks are concerned they have bought clubs with massive loans.

I am amazed that any board would accept an offer knowing full well that it is not made with genuine money. How can any foreign invester splash the cash, when loan repayments are taking up almost all their income??

We all would welcome foreign investors who bought clubs outright. But those like the 3 forementioned americans do not have the luxury of this position; financially or with the supporters

Posts: 114 | From: Darkest Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so steph - who should we bring in? seriously i'd like to see some suggestions. if benitez is a bluffer, there should be lots of obviously superior candidates.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StephL
Member # 1719

- posted      Profile for StephL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have never said he is a bluffer - not my words - and I really do not know who should come in his place.

I really had high hopes when he arrived but in his 4 seasons so far, he has upset me more often than pleased. The crap tranfers, the crap tactics, the overspending on some very very average players, the evident lack of respect for some opponents - Marseille at Anfield is an exemple which springs to my mind - his stuborness.
It is a little bit easy to blame the American owners about what is happening on the pitch.

But who am I to doubt his abilities?
I just feel that LFC will never win the title under him - I hope I am wrong but I doubt it.
Even Houiller came closer to the title than him.

It looks like since Dalglish left, Liverpool are cursed in the league.

Posts: 546 | From: Brussels, still Belgium for now | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would any Board made up of shareholder accept an offer from people that guarantees existing shaeholders a massive bonus and leaves the club at risk?

I wonder why German clubs don't get hawked around like this. Oh that's right; they don't see the invisible hand as something that wanks them off.

Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

quote:
who should we bring in? seriously i'd like to see some suggestions. if benitez is a bluffer, there should be lots of obviously superior candidates.
Jose Mourinho and Ottmar Hitzfeld will both be available in the summer, and so might Guus Hiddink if Russia don't have a good European Championships.

[ 22.01.2008, 15:10: Message edited by: Lieutenant Frank Drebin ]

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC