This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » This Is Al-Field (Page 17)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: This Is Al-Field
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hicks has just announced that he will not be selling his shares to DIC, as DIC want the club to be run by committee.
Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't make any sense.

The "committee" idea only arose because Hicks was unwilling to sell at the price offered and equally unwilling to approve Gillett's sale of a full 50 percent stake.

DIC won't go for a 49 percent stake without significant minority protections.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Based on a meeting held earlier today in Dubai between my representatives and officials of Dubai International Capital LLC, as well as other recent contacts between us and them, I have decided to terminate any further discussions with DIC regarding their possible purchase of a minority stake in Kop and, in turn, in the Club.

"DIC made it clear that if they invested in the Club, they would want it to be managed by committee. Based on my thirteen years of successful experience as an owner of professional sports teams, and based in particular on the situation at Liverpool Football Club over the past year, it is clear to me that such a committee approach would not be in the best interest of Kop, of the Club or of the Club's loyal and passionate supporters.

"Accordingly, I have decided to exercise my right under the Kop Football (Holdings) Limited partnership agreement to veto any sale of any portion of Kop and the Club to DIC.

"I and my colleagues and representatives will continue to explore a number of other options with regard to the ownership of Kop and the Club aimed at achieving an appropriate ownership, financial and organizational structure for Kop and the Club over the long term."

what does gillett have to say about any of this? WHERE THE FUCK IS GILLETT?
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you do have caps on your keyboard after all . . .

I'm not sure I ever heard Hicks' rights in this respect being described as a "veto". It would be quite unusual for a 50/50 arrangement to provide that one partner could simply veto the sale of the other's interest. The much more common arrangment would be for the vetoing partner to then be required to buy the selling partner interest (or at least for the selling partner to have the right to require that the other partner buy that interest).

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the situation is now that DIC will go for the full 50% that Gillett holds and Hicks will have 90 days to match the price.
Hicks may have shot himself in the foot badly here.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I think Parry's days are numbered too; the reference to doing things by committee doesn't bode well. Though in my experience taking people with you generally increases the chances of a better decision, but that's why I'm not a millionaire sports franchise owning Republican.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Post, the talks broke down because DIC wanted a fan representative on the board with full voting rights and Hicks was to run it as a dictatorship.
Not sure how true it is, but still.
More here.

[ 11.03.2008, 12:43: Message edited by: hobbes ]

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great line. Even if not true, someone not liked by the supporters will remain in total control because he didn't want a supporter involved.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of having one Supersupporter. I wonder how they'd choose him? Myers-Briggs Type Indicator? Secret ballot? Throwing a bouquet into the kop?
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

The person who walks tallest with the most hope in their hearts, the most pride and the greatest passion.

It's got to be Jimmy Tarbuck. Or if not available, Tom O'Connor. Anything else is a long hard piss etc.

hobbes
Member # 28

Get to fuck. If it's ain't Stan Boardman, it ain't no-one.
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

Heh. Fair enough, I stand corrected.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

I had a business dinner last night, and about 25 of the 50 covers were filled by Liverpool supporters here for tonight's match.

We chatted for a bit while waiting for taxis, and when I mentioned that I was American, the first question was whether I had anything to do with Hicks, followed quickly by the assurance that Gillet and the other 250 million plus of us were all right by them.

I continue to think that Hicks is playing hardball to increase his return here, but I also believe that he had no idea of the depth of feeling the supporters have for "his" club. Keep in mind that both of the US franchises he owns were "expansion teams" that were subsequently moved to their current locations (the Texas Rangers began life as the expansion Washington Senators, and the Dallas Stars began life as the expansion Minnesota North Stars). Neither club existed when I was born, and the Stars have been in Dallas for fewer than 15 years.

blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the first question was whether I had anything to do with Hicks
Heh, you should have told them that the man owes you a few hundred million ...
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC