This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » This Is Al-Field (Page 18)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: This Is Al-Field
Nocturnal Submission
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Nocturnal Submission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Covers"?

There are more than 300m of your compatriots now, incidentally.

Posts: 2168 | From: Revelling In The Hole | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard restaurant slang for punters.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been gone for a while.

I wondered if "covers" was going to throw people, but that is what we called them in the restaurants I worked in.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nocturnal Submission
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Nocturnal Submission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, OK - new one on me.
Posts: 2168 | From: Revelling In The Hole | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know why Gillett is alright with them. He's as much at fault as Hicks is. And at least Hicks has the cojones to front it out whereas Gillett has disappeared.
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has its origins in the French "couverts" (but so does much of the restaurant industry).

It can sound pretentious, but is actually quite useful, particularly in places (like the one I was at last night) where tables are frequently put together to accomodate larger groups. I could have said 3 of the 6 tables, but that would have given the impression that the place is even smaller than it is.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UA - I was chatting to someone involved in ShareLiverpool who said the alarm bell rang for them when they said they were blown away by the atmosphere when they beat Barca. The Liverpool fan thought it was good, but by no means brilliant, and more importantly, the fact that Hicks was taken aback meant he had no real idea about what he'd purchased at all.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

hobbes, I think Gillett is getting a free pass because the assumption is that he is perfectly happy selling to DIC and rather sick of Hicks, who is being perceived as the one who has been driving the commercial decisions. That may not be 100 percent true, but it does resonate with their respective "styles" in managing their North American franchises and Hicks' general appetite for greater risk.

Nathan, even more than the "passion" thing, I think that Hicks has completely misunderstood/underestimated the degree to which many Liverpool supporters consider the club to be an inalienable part of their birthright. There are no "life long" Dallas Stars fans who are old enough to drink, and no more than a relative handful of Texas Rangers fans who meet that criterion. Hicks is very much used to the North American concept of the sports franchise as the ultra rich man's ultimate vanity purchase/plaything, whereas I think Gillett "gets it" to a greater degree because of his experience with the Montreal Canadiens (who are infinitely closer to Liverpool in socio-cultural terms than the Stars or Rangers will ever be).

And of course Hicks has had extensive experience with leveraged buyouts in which the interests of "stakeholders" with a more tangible claim than football supporters have come very much second to those of the investors funding the lbo.

dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
UA - I was chatting to someone involved in ShareLiverpool who said the alarm bell rang for them when they said they were blown away by the atmosphere when they beat Barca. The Liverpool fan thought it was good, but by no means brilliant, and more importantly, the fact that Hicks was taken aback meant he had no real idea about what he'd purchased at all.
Umm. To be honest I would expect someone from ShareLiverpool to make a judgement on someone based upon something a little more substantial than this.

Are you sure you weren't talking to wingco in character ?

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I said the alarm bell rang, rather than 'I knew then that they were twats'. It made them think that things could start to go wrong.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that the Rafa situation has blown over, I'm coming around to Hicks a bit more, I have to say. Talking to my Israeli Liverpool-supporting colleague has made me rather more reserved about the alternatives. And Hicks, rampant gouging capitalist that he is, does seem at least willing to learn the culture, and the lie of the land. And he's brought in money, even if it has to be repaid.

Hmm. None of this should be taken as a vote of confidence. But I've rather more confidence in him then I did two or three months ago, and rather less than in either Gillett or Dubai.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now that the Rafa situation has blown over
He was still manager, last I heard.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

It's back.

quote:
The long pursuit of Liverpool by Dubai International Capital is set to end within the next "three to four weeks" with the investment group taking full control of the Premier League club, according to a source close to the proposed deal.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC