This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Three Hundred Thousand (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Three Hundred Thousand
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Swindon won't go down. Gillingham have just been beaten by Crewe and Port Vale and are adrift now.
Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Dave's Gusset
Member # 1269

- posted      Profile for Big Dave's Gusset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the time Swindon play Gillingham, they may not have picked up any more points (it's really not inconcievable given recent displays). If Gillingham win a couple of matches between now and then, it will be very close. Deary me, the prospect of being relegated at Priestfield is a bit too much to contemplate without a stiff drink to hand.
Posts: 2991 | From: Duck Island | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or we get relegated at home to Swindon, which is the much more likely prospect.

I know what you're up to, by the way. Kindly desist with the reverse relegation tombola psychology.

Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on down, Alderman. I like going to Gillingham.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

Now you're just weird, GO. I don't like going there and I'm from Gillingham.
Big Dave's Gusset
Member # 1269

- posted      Profile for Big Dave's Gusset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, you know me too well.

It is a genuine concern though - the team has completely gone to pieces since Malpas became manager. I'm all for giving new managers time to prove their worth, but he desperately needs to win a couple of matches and soon.

If the Football League had taken a harder line after the club failed to meet their final CVA payment in November, we would have been seriously screwed.

Hopefully neither team will be relegated at Priestfield, as I plan to attend the match unscathed.

Posts: 2991 | From: Duck Island | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the difference is that we get to go home to London at the end of the day...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Dave's Gusset
Member # 1269

Actually, I had one of my best recent away days at Gillingham a couple of seasons ago, which was strange as Swindon lost 3-0, I got soaked in the away end, and had to evade a near riot afterwards. Despite all this, myself and another occasional OTFer had a quality drinking session in the Medways afterwards, which culminated in me falling over in a fish and chip shop. Great days.
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

Haha - can you remember where you went?

What's happened with Malpas, then: can he just not get the players Sturrock had to perform?

Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
15 Swindon 39 -1 48
16 Yeovil 40 -16 48
17 Cheltenham 40 -17 47
18 Bristol Rovers 37 -3 46
19 Millwall 40 -14 45
20 Crewe 40 -16 44
-------------------------------
21 Gillingham 39 -28 39
22 Bournemouth 40 -17 32
23 Luton 39 -14 30
24 Port Vale 40 -30 29

I think it's going to be really close this year. Crewe & Vale are in relatively decent form, and the teams above seem to be collapsing.

Maybe Swindon's game-in-hand is going to be the key one here?

Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Dave's Gusset
Member # 1269

I've no idea. When we came out of the ground there was a line of policemen with angry dogs. Beyond that there was about a hundred very aggitated Gillingham fans. Behind us was an equallly aggressive collection of Swindon. Everyone seemed to be gearing up for a big old bundle so my companion and I took the path of least resistance, which I think led us to Strood. All I remember is walking up and down a lot of hills and going into a lot of pubs. My fellow OTFer said it was a bit like LA, which I think illustrates how much beer we had put away throughout the course of the day.

Malpas seems unable to either motivate or organise the team. He has exactly the same squad that Sturrock had at his disposal, but hasn't come anywhere near getting the same level of performance out of them. I'm in an increasingly small minority of people who think he should be given a chance to prove himself, but if we don't pick up a few points in the next few weeks then the pressure will mount. It'll be interesting to see how the new board react.

Just goes to show how lucky we were to have a manager like Sturrock really.

Big Dave's Gusset
Member # 1269

Our game in hand is against Bristol Rovers away. Gulp.

Gillingham's goal difference might not help them much.

[ 25.03.2008, 15:36: Message edited by: Big Dave's Gusset ]

Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

Strood? Christ, it's a wonder you got back alive.

I once got stranded there when our train stopped on the way to Chatham. We stopped in a greasy spoon for some breakfast and the mate I was with was seriously shocked. He said it was the roughest place he'd ever been to and he'd lived in Moss Side for three years. It was like Deliverance.

Big Dave's Gusset
Member # 1269

I think I used up about six years of luck that day. Every pub we went into had either just been visited by a violent mob, or was smashed to bits not long after we'd left. Perhaps that was just a regular Saturday night in Strood though. The closest we got to trouble was when an aggressive man asked us if we were Swindon fans, to which I replied "No, mate" and then searched my intoxicated brain for the name of another team, any team, and eventually ended up blurting "Stirling Albion", which seemed to both pacify and confuse him.
Big Dave's Gusset
Member # 1269

Oh, and every pub we visited seemed to be playing Queen on the jukebox. Are Queen popular in the Medways?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC