This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The Fifth round draw of the FA Cup (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Fifth round draw of the FA Cup
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First time for over 50yrs theres been no 4th round replays apparently. Could happen this round as well.
I think theres more chance of Chelsea doing the "quadruple" than Liverpool making the next round tbh.

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on, can I just get this right, you think there's more chance of Chelsea overhauling Man United and Arsenal to win the Premiership, beating Spurs in the League Cup Final, beating all-comers to add the FA Cup, and defeating everyone from Man U through Barcelona to Milan to add the finishing touch to an unprecedented quadruple, than you think there is of the chances of Liverpool beating Barnsley at home in a one-off game?

Are you laying odds against this? PM me, I'll give you 100 now, at evens. If Liverpool scrape into the sixth round, and Chelsea win every trophy in sight, then obviously both bets are fulfilled and we'll call it quits (as we will if neither comes to pass).

[ 28.01.2008, 20:13: Message edited by: Rogin the Armchair fan ]

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Carmody
Member # 712

- posted      Profile for Robin Carmody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barnsley vs Liverpool at Oakwell was one of the first Cup matches other than the final shown live - a few days after the miners' strike ended, as well (pity it wasn't Barnsley vs Forest, which at that moment could have been interesting for all kinds of non-football reasons).

I don't think they've played in the Cup since then, or at all other than that season when Barnsley succeeded Newcastle, post-Keegan, as Everybody's Second Team (TM).

[ 29.01.2008, 00:11: Message edited by: Robin Carmody ]

Posts: 1275 | From: Down South | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
liverpool played in barnsley in 1998 and won 3-2. That sounds like a very narrow victory over one of the worst teams to ever play in the premiership. Until you remember that they lost the home game 1-0.
Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As per AIATL's post, I think Lars Leese and Neil Redfearn are going to be doing a bit of press in the run-up to the next round.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Casper
Member # 131

- posted      Profile for Billy Casper         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying Barnsley were good in the Premier League because we clearly were not. We were scared and too slow. But to say Barnsley were "one of the worst teams to ever play in the premiership" is a myth that has started to grow in the last few years.
While no open topped bus tours were planned after finishing the season on 35 points, it did at least mean we didn't finish bottom (thank you Palace!). In fact since our season in the top division, 23 teams have finished with a poorer record than we did. Bad, yes. One of the worst, no.

Posts: 99 | From: Baaarrnsli | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a few days after the miners' strike ended, as well (pity it wasn't Barnsley vs Forest, which at that moment could have been interesting for all kinds of non-football reasons)
We played at the Scabs in the FA Cup earlier in the strike, November 1984. The game has gone down in history, as they say...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying Barnsley were good in the Premier League because we clearly were not. We were scared and too slow. But to say Barnsley were "one of the worst teams to ever play in the premiership" is a myth that has started to grow in the last few years.

Barnsley also knocked Man United out of the FA Cup that season after a replay, having got a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford.

I seem to remember them giving Spurs a good beating in that competition as well.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nuts 'n Gum
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for Nuts 'n Gum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got to agree with the Barnsley point - they weren't great, but at least they had a go - I remember the game against Spurs in March was crucial - a win might have given them a chance, however as it was, Barnsley and Crystal Palace were destined for relegation. They also beat Man united in the cup after a replay, which included Peter Schmeichael slicing a clearance to John Hendrie who greatfully put it in the net.
Posts: 1220 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That sounds like a very narrow victory over one of the worst teams to ever play in the premiership.
Your memory is very selective, AIATL. Barnsley didn't have that bad a side at all in their Premiership year. Whilst they were consistently around the bottom of the table, but never out of touch (unlike Palace) and were only relegated with 1 or 2 games to go. They also fell victim to some of the worst refereeing displays I've ever seen outside of non-league football (I vaguely remember a game at Oakwell against one of the BRCs where 3 Barnsley players were sent off for doing virtually nothing, which nearly caused a riot). That team would have stayed up had they played in this year's Premiership. They're not in the same league as your Derbys or Sunderlands.

It all went wrong for them after Danny Wilson left to manage Wednesday, and the appointed John Hendrie as manager, who immediately kicked out all the decent foreign players and turned it into a Football League journeymen's drinking society. They fell through the second division and suddenly were one of the worst Premiership teams ever.

Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Barnsley also knocked Man United out of the FA Cup that season after a replay, having got a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford.
And if they hadn't, I'd never have started supporting Wolves.

After Man Utd were knocked out, I thought I'd follow Wolves in the cup for the rest of the season, and the rest is history.

Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Casper
Member # 131

- posted      Profile for Billy Casper         Edit/Delete Post 
In the FA Cup that season Barnsley knocked out Premier League Bolton, Premier League Tottenham, and Premier League Man Utd, before losing to Cheating Alan Shearer and Newcastle in the Quarter Finals.
Lt Dub is spot on about the John Hendrie appointment. A terrible decision. We did reach the Play Off Final in 2000 though (long after Hendrie had gone), so our descent wasn't that fast.

We hav'nt conceded any goals at Anfield in the last two matches we've played there (a 1981 League Cup Quarter Final 0-0, and the Premier League season), so, you know, perhaps we shouldn't be billed as the Washington Generals to Liverpool's Harlem Globetrotters......

[/clutching at the one straw available]

Posts: 99 | From: Baaarrnsli | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Carmody
Member # 712

- posted      Profile for Robin Carmody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about South Yorks/North Notts is that I have a Peel show from a few years earlier, February 1981 to be precise, where he plays "(We Don't Need) This Fascist Groove Thang" by Heaven 17 (from Sheffield of course) and "Remembrance Day" by B-Movie (from Mansfield!). Possibly the best two songs ever played in succession on any radio show ever.

I'm guessing, GO, that you don't know "Remembrance Day" (few do, but it's a particular favourite of mine), but if you did, would you feel guilty about liking a song by a band from Mansfield? Does it go that deep?

Posts: 1275 | From: Down South | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Carmody
Member # 712

and re. Liverpool and the FA Cup, the weird thing is that in their best era they were far less successful in it than any team of that level of dominance would be today.

I mean, between their wins in '74 and '86 they only reached the final once, and in both '83 and '84 they were knocked out by Brighton. And yet they won the League Cup in four consecutive seasons.

Did the FA Cup, even as late as that, carry such prestige that Liverpool fans would have particularly wanted to win it more often, or were they happy enough with everything else?

Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I was a Liverpool fan in those days, and yes, while we were content being able to triumph the regular League Championships, European Cup wins and League Cup Finals, there was always a pang of "why DON'T we ever get to play in this end-of-season extravaganza" that was the FA Cup Final.

It helped, I think, that Liverpool's four straight League Cup Final wins were against, in order, West Ham, Spurs, Man U and Everton, the four teams who won the FA Cup in that exact same era. So there was always the bragging rights of "well you won your Cup, but we were champions, and look what happened when we played you". It was almost as if the League Cup Final, for several years, took on the role of an uber-Charity Shield.

But I tell you what, when Liverpool actually GOT to Wembley in "the" Cup Final, in 1986, for the first time in a decade, I was well made up. The fact we ended up winning the double was icing on the cake, really, winning that game was more important than winning the League, that year. Especially after Lineker had sent us into half-time 1-0 down.

[ 29.01.2008, 20:05: Message edited by: Rogin the Armchair fan ]

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC