This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Judas, Traitor, Turncoat... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Judas, Traitor, Turncoat...
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me, or do the Scots folk have more of a problem with Terry Butcher working with Burley than the English?

From the reports I have seen, they are not happy up there!

Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw who started this thread, and the title of it, I never would have guessed it was about Terry 'Runaround' Butcher.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Skeleton
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for Bob Skeleton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only ever heard it mentioned by pundits and journalists. No-one else gives a shit where he's from.
Posts: 395 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The cantering captain
Member # 942

- posted      Profile for The cantering captain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just asked a committed member of the tartan army , he couldn't give a monkeys.
Posts: 1476 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It makes no odds to me either, but I also work with a Scotsman and he is not impressed...

EIM - I honestly cant think what you could be inferring (smile wink thing)...

Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's only fair that we repay the debt we owe them after Gavin Hamilton.
Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who saw/heard the press conference now knows he's a Guns 'n' Roses fan.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why, did he break into an impromptu 'Used To Love Her'?
Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blameless
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for blameless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically, Butcher probably has a more in-depth knowledge of the Scottish game than Burley at the moment due to the time the former has spent at Rangers, Motherwell and working in the Scottish sports media. He's also the guy who gave the likes of McFadden and Pearson their start in the game.

To be honest, nobody gives a monkeys that his 77 international caps were for England rather than ourselves.

Posts: 3576 | From: a factually and morally wrong perspective | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Butcher himself mentioned in passing that there has been a reasonable negative reaction to his appointment in Scotland, so I think that a reasonable number of people in Scotland do care about this.
Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think any English fan of a club that Butchers managed will be over the moon hes working with the Scots national team.
I know I certainly am. Hes one of only two Sunderland managers to make me boycott games in an attempt to get him sacked asap. (Lawrie Mackemenemy was the other).

[ 05.02.2008, 14:25: Message edited by: Tyrannosaurus Alania Vladikavkaz. ]

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Skeleton
Member # 1275

- posted      Profile for Bob Skeleton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an article about his appointment in The Herald on Saturday. Butcher said he felt there may be an element of Scotland's support who would be opposed to him being part of the Scotland setup. I've yet to encounter anyone who is.

As Blameless says, Butcher's knowledge of the Scottish game is quite good. When I read that Burley had asked him, his nationality never crossed my mind. I don't really see any problem with Butcher being part of the setup, other than his patchy coaching record.

Posts: 395 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sidjames
Member # 1086

- posted      Profile for sidjames     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My initial thoughts when Butcher was appointed at Brentford were that firstly he might at least be able to galvanise a demoralised club that was drifting towards financial meltdown and the Conference and that secondly he couldn't be any worse than the dross that had preceded him as manager. I was wrong on both counts.

He freely admitted to having no knowledge of English lower league players, played dreary unimaginative football that was sending the club on a one way ticket to the Blue Square. His miserable post match conferences were a litany of excuses and self-justification which, strangely enough, reminded me of that other OTF favourite Bryan Robson. When he announced that it wasn't his job to motivate the players, people began to ask quite justifiably 'Well what do you actually bring to the table, Terry'?

When he finally resigned it was as if a weight had been lifted from the club's shoulders and, in six weeks under Andy Scott, the dead wood has been cleared out, the team has started to play excellent football, confidence has soared and in 9 games as many points have been gained as in 18 under Butcher.

I think his relatively successful period at Motherwell must be regarded as an aberration as many supporters of Coventry, Sunderland, Sydney and Brentford would regard him as their worst ever manager.

Oh and if his signing of Hibs keeper Simon Brown is anything to go by, I'm not sure about his knowledge of the Scottish game either.

Posts: 690 | From: a different hemisphere | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard any adverse comment about Butcher, but then I haven't gone looking for them.
Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, his phone went off as Burley was berating the assembled press and his ringtone was revealed as "Sweet Child O' Mine". Burley immediately said "That's a fine."

Tyrannosaurus can start spelling "McMenemy" but isn't sure how to stop, it seems.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC