This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The pettiest sending off ever? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The pettiest sending off ever?
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That clip 18 seconds into smallweed's second link above is hilarious. What was the story there? Who were the teams?

I can only watch it with the sound down at the moment, but I'm assuming the defender thought for whatever reason that the whistle had gone, hence him playfully whacking the ball into the net.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember a game between Leeds and Southampton years ago where someone (Le Tissier maybe) scored a cracking low volley from outside the box, and the ball rolled under the obviously badly-secured net and came back on to the pitch off the advertising boards. Kind of gave the impression that it had gone wide so the Leeds players hilariously carried on, and the ref didn't award the goal.
I remember that too, though I'm almost certain it was Mark Hughes who (didn't) score. Got a feeling he might even have been playing for Everton at the time.
Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hof, there isn't any sound of consequence on that part of the clip. Yours is the only possible explanation for what happened. My guess is that the poor sod was playing for Charleroi, no real guess for the other club (but it isn't Anderlecht, Standard, Brugge or Cercle Brugge, and all of that assumes it was top flight, which it might not be).
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tratorello
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for tratorello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of assumed that he scored an own goal in a bizarre attempt to prevent the goalkeeper from being sent off for deliberate handball outside the area?
Posts: 1718 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tratorello
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for tratorello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually watching it again that doesn't seem the case from his dejected reaction.

The gloating from the oppo is a bit harsh isn't it?

Posts: 1718 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to work it out myself, I can only think he thought the whistle had already been blown for the handball.

As for the early days of the backpass rule, the first game I saw with it in force was a Man City v QPR game (also Sky's first Monday night match in the first week of the newly-formed Premier League). Brightwell rolled it back towards Coton, Coton took a touch, picked it up, cleared it downfield, and like everybody else in the ground immediately realised what he'd done. everyone else in the ground apart from the referee, that is. How we laughed.

Best (but not pettiest) sendings off I ever saw was of course the Hogg / Levein double-dismissal when both were playing for Hearts in a pre-season friendly, which cost both of them ten match bans and Hogg a bloody nose.

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember a game between Leeds and Southampton years ago where someone (Le Tissier maybe) scored a cracking low volley from outside the box, and the ball rolled under the obviously badly-secured net and came back on to the pitch off the advertising boards. Kind of gave the impression that it had gone wide so the Leeds players hilariously carried on, and the ref didn't award the goal.
There was, of course, the classic Alan Hudson 'goal' c 1970 which I'm sure someone on here will recall better than I. The ball entered the net through the side, the myopic ref awarding Chelsea a goal.

And Clive Allen's stanchion drive, of course - which thankfully didn't occur when he played for us. But then there's Mendes's beaut against United t'other year that did. Oh, I could go on.

[ 06.02.2008, 18:08: Message edited by: TV's 'Mr P' ]

Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treibeis
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for treibeis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was this "goal" by Thomas Helmer in 1994 (00:56 min. onwards). In the clip, he half-admits to having acted the cunt at the time, but still places the blame squarely on the referee's and linesman's shoulders.

[ 06.02.2008, 18:23: Message edited by: treibeis ]

Posts: 1298 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC