This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Link to old films of old football grounds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Link to old films of old football grounds
Chippy
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Chippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a hankie...

http://footballgroundguide.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=2

Posts: 3563 | From: Standlake | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
two anoraks
Member # 323

- posted      Profile for two anoraks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Somerton, weary of time,
Who countest the steps of the sun;
Seeking after that sweet golden clime
Where the traveller's journey is done

Posts: 56 | From: Brecon the winter through | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blameless
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for blameless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, the Firhill Shed. And the old gable on the stand roof.

The only way the ground had changed between 1980 (then that film was shot) and 1982 (when I saw my first game there) was that the grey crush barriers on the terrace had been painted red and yellow.

Posts: 3576 | From: a factually and morally wrong perspective | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blameless
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for blameless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have looked at the rest of the Scottish ones now.

Things I had forgotten:

- square goalposts.
- those wonky walled corners on the old terrace at Tannadice.
- what a patchwork quilt Kilbowie was.
- the old 'stand on stilts' above the north terrace at Hampden.
- the gap where the last third of Fir Park's main stand should have been.
- what a shitehole Brockville was.

Things I was astonished to find out:

- how shallow the terraces behind the goal at Rugby Park were. When I went to my first ever game there (aged 5) they seemed positively mountainous.

Posts: 3576 | From: a factually and morally wrong perspective | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hauntological! They just need a nice Boards of Canada soundtrack.
Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mnb098mnb
Member # 1484

- posted      Profile for mnb098mnb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Streets where Roker Park once was.

-

-

Posts: 431 | From: Bracknell | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like that: Sunderland's midfield as a cul-de-sac, presumably while attacking.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chippy
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Chippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
blameless

The social club at the end of the Main Stand - where the offices and changing rooms are now - must have burnt down after 1980.

Also the separation fence in the shed wasn't up in that film.

So apart from arson and hooliganuism, the only development was a lick of paint.

I think the Rugby Park shot was deceptive. The main terracing roof arched sharply inwards at the home goal end. I think it was a similar depth to Firhill, but with a longer roof.

[ 25.03.2008, 12:30: Message edited by: Chippy ]

Posts: 3563 | From: Standlake | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely "Promotion Close" should be a permanent fixture in Wolverhampton?
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC