This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » We're caught in a Trap (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: We're caught in a Trap
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
caption competition?
"STOP POINTING THAT GUN AT MY DAD!!!"
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, Trapattoni announces he is Ireland manager before the FAI can at their press conference tonight.

Trap 1, FAI 0

I'm liking this guy already.

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance of a pm? I am so happy about this.

Fuck you tikka venerables, fuck you.

Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
etimontour
Member # 1181

- posted      Profile for etimontour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its going to be interesting to see what type of role he has planned for Liam Brady. And I suppose that'll rule out Brady for taking his place on the RTE panel with Giles and Dunphy for the Irish games anyway. I presume they'll replace him with that fuckwit Sounness instead.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Latest developments:

* Gentile has turned down Trapattoni's offer of the assistant manager's job

* Trapattoni's reputed 1.2 million annual salary is going to be part-funded by this guy:

-

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<...Insert half-hearted diatribe about public largesse of tax-exile billionaires which wouldn't be needed if they'd pay their fucking taxes like the rest of us do without expecting our lapdogs/employees in the media to wet themselves over it...>
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, even if we choose to disregard all the Michael Lowry/bribery stuff, O'Brien made an extra 60 million on the sale of Esat Digifone by not paying capital gains tax -- so his gift to the FAI, which if my maths is right works out at 2.4m over four years, has to be seen in its proper perspective.

It's not like the FAI are financially on their uppers anyway. They could have afforded this salary without any outside assistance from a rich person who pays no tax.

[ 13.02.2008, 18:29: Message edited by: Lieutenant Frank Drebin ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

O'Brien is currently being interviewed by phone on the Six One news saying that he is doing this "with no strings attached" and at no personal gain for himself (apart from the great PR, of course), "not even tickets for matches".

O'Brien doesn't have a very self-assured-sounding voice for a billionaire.

Now John Delaney has just said that the appointment would have gone ahead anyway even if O'Brien's wallet had not entered the picture.

guff daddy
Member # 12234

- posted      Profile for guff daddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that a little bit ungracious of them?
"Cheers for the cash, Dennis. We don't need it but we'll take it anyway."

Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

Delaney's justification was that the surplus money can now be used on things like youth football and stadium-improvement grants and so on. Not sure I believe it either.

Be interesting to see if Brady takes the assistant's job. Trapattoni signed him for Juventus in 1980 -- but then very unsentimentally sold him to Sampdoria two years later to make way for Platini, despite the fact that Brady had scored the penalty against Catanzaro on the final day of the 81/82 season that won the title.

bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They had a limit on the number of foreigners at the time. That he got rid of a very good player to bring in an even better player shows that he made a good management decision.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never heard of Catanzaro before. They look a bit country bumpkinish:

-

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

I wasn't criticising Trapattoni, Bryan -- merely speculating if Brady might still nurse some kind of an animus about it, even after all this time.

I know a few people who have each had plenty of dealings with Brady down the years, and all of them describe him as a somewhat sour individual.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Catanzaro are somewhat of a watchword for a typical team from the deep south, with all of the social and cultural baggage that implies.

The version of the Brady-Platini story that I've always heard is that the choice was essentially imposed on Trap by Gianni Agnelli, who always maintained that Platini was by some distance the best player ever to play for Juve.

Trap is going to need someone to monitor the form of his potential players. I just don't see him going to League One grounds on Tuesday nights. What's Brian Kerr doing? That could be a good role for him.

Gentile clearly thinks that he has a good shot at the Azzurri job if Donadoni doesn't get to at least the Euro 2008 semis. And he is probably right about that; his U21 teams have been pretty uniformly impressive, and there is a shortage of other potential candidates.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noby
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for noby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing straight forward when it comes to the FAI, is there? O'Brien is now saying that he approached with the cash offer before Stan was sacked. Delaney's version of events, of course, is different.

guff daddy, it's not the offer of the money that grates, it's the implication that without it we wouldn't have gotten him as manager. Fuck it, it was more than implied actually; Delaney came straight out and said the extra cash allowed them to look for a better calibre of manager. Of course ten minutes later he was saying they would have gotten Trapattoni anyway.

Posts: 434 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC