This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Gazza trip (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Gazza trip
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Lennon talks a lot about depression in his book. Although most of it's taken up detailing his run-ins with drunk Rangers fans down Byres Road.

Collymore similarly. Hopefully Gascoigne can make a full recovery.

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think, in all seriousness, there's a book waiting to be written about football and mental illness. There's quite a few footballers who supposedly have had depressive issues (Litmanen, Diesler), which is an interesting counterpoint to the lavish lifestyles they generally lead.

Perhaps the most amazing thing is there aren't many more who suffer depression.

You wonder how many kids who are in the game from 12 to 18 before they get moved on, also suffer, but with no publicity.

They grow up in a very weird, almost entirely male environment and that must lead to stunted emotional development for many. Then they get cast out.

Add to that people whose careers are cut short by injury and even those who spend a year or two battling back, and the list would go on.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At the risk of doing that horribly G2-esque overblown metaphor thing, there's something terribly poignant about the footballer who more than any player helped kick-start the football 'boom' to now be in this state. However dreadfully he may have behaved at times over the years, there's something painfully sad about Gascoigne's story.
Indeed. What does it say about us?

(Seriously, E10, how long before you find yourself subbing exactly that article?)

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are going to place him in that sort of spurious cultural context, you could talk about him as a symbol/victim of Britpop hubris - taken up by Chris Evans, all those lads' night out binges, that leave him just a yard short of putting England in the final in the golden goals play off. End of article.

I too, hope Gazza gets better. Sad thing is, does he even have any experience of what "better" is?

[ 22.02.2008, 10:08: Message edited by: wingco ]

Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tratorello
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for tratorello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gazza story on my friend's news blog

It made me laugh, hopefully some of you might find it amusing too.

EDIT - Just want to point out that I'm not laughing at mental illness or his very real problems and I genuinely hope he manages to sort himself out.

[ 22.02.2008, 11:52: Message edited by: tratorello ]

Posts: 1718 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently battery operated talking parrots have a some sort of role in this tragedy.
Hopefully this may stop pubs n clubs serving him pints of white wine in future.

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy Potger
Member # 1315

- posted      Profile for Guy Potger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I feel sorrier for Guy Potger, who posted this exact same story a minute before GO, but seems to have been forgotten. The kind of neglect and feeling of disassociation from the real world that probably led Gazza down his own path of withdrawal and ultimate mental health issues.

Perk up, Guy P, I say.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't fash it.

I shall bask in the moral superiority that I am the Betamax to GO's VHS, who has gained market dominance simply by dint of a better strapline and aggressive marketing and advertising

[ 22.02.2008, 12:21: Message edited by: Guy Potger ]

Posts: 2834 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now then.

In all this eulogising, and understandable respect for what the man achieved on the pitch, I'm surprised so many people have managed to ignore the elephant in the sitting room for so long. It wasn't all good news, and they weren't all good times. How has no one brought up this serious blemish against his character?

quote:
In 2004 he stated that he wished to be referred to as G8, combining his initial and his playing number.
Gate? You want to change your name to Gate? G19, surely?
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The cantering captain
Member # 942

- posted      Profile for The cantering captain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very sad, but can it really be put down to football ?

Isn't there a chance that if he hadn't been a good footballer, something like this would have happened to him alot earlier ?

Posts: 1476 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure if he wasn't a good footballer, Gazza would have turned out like any boozy prick pishing their life away every weekend in the Bigg Market.

Saying that, I think a career in football is the last thing that's going to help anyone with mental health problems; crowds of hangers on, money to burn, an unstructured life (especially if you're injured half the time), and an atmosphere that's hardly geared towards kindness and understanding.

Now, I was wondering.. would it all have turned out better if he'd ended up signing for Man United? Half of me thinks Fergie would have bollocked him onto the right track, the other argues he would have found his level with Robson, Whiteside, McGrath et al.

Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nocturnal Submission
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Nocturnal Submission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. He's got unaddressed mental health issues which will, unless treated, continue to blight his life. The odd tongue-lashing from Fergie is some way from being an acceptable substitute.
Posts: 2168 | From: Revelling In The Hole | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

I wasn't suggesting having an old Scottish bloke shout at you is a cure-all for mental illness.

I was thinking more in footballing terms - such as not practically cripping one's self twenty minutes into a cup final, ending up playing five matches for Gansu Tianma or even worse, being farmed out on loan to Burnley.

RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people are demanding his former employers assist financially in his recuperation and recovery. Boston have offered a case of Kaliber and a family pack of fun size Mars Bars.

In all seriousness I hope he gets the help he needs. Lord knows he hasn't had in the past.

Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

(P.S. Paul Gascoigne sectioned and forcibly removed to a centre for the mentally ill: will be taking Joey Barton's place in the Newcastle team tomorrow. Ho ho ho arf honk etc.)
Bogzilla
Member # 6317

- posted      Profile for Bogzilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without wishing to sound a pessimistic note, I don't think there's really any chance of him recovering.

He's extremely ill and has already thrown away numerous fresh starts. It sounds like a cliche (and probably is) but he has to want to get better or it won't matter how much support he has.

Still, I hope it works out in the end.

Posts: 435 | From: An office | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC