This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Are you related to anyone who's played the Beautiful Game? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Are you related to anyone who's played the Beautiful Game?
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's safe to say that you lot will all be paying for your own meals for the foreseeable future.
Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "on the books at" is such a great expression. It creates a great image, If one says they were "on the books at Derby" or wherever, it implies, that the only way the management of the club would know who you are is by looking you up in a big dusty leatherbound, hand written ledger to see that they do, in fact, own your rights.

The same phenomenon is common in American baseball. It's not hard to find men who at one point were "in the Orioles/Pirates/Reds/Yankees, etc organization." As likely as not, it means they got invited to training camp and were probably cut within the first few weeks or perhaps they played one season of rookie or Single A.

One has to be a hell of a good ballplayer to get even that far, of course, but oftentimes when people here the expression "was in the X organization" they lock onto that major league name.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw your reply to my previous post G-Man.....

Watch it matey. Anyway, I'll keep setting them up as long as you keep banging them in, OK?

Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Had a trial for" is another one. De Valera had a trial for someone or other in Rugby Union, and Castro had a trial for someone or other in baseball. I heard that somewhere. But they're the sort of "fact" that may turn out to be NATQI.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Castro one appears to be an urban myth, as noted here (with a brilliant postscript from Taylor).
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd heard it was the Yankees.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC