This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Birmingham City v Arsenal (Page 14)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Birmingham City v Arsenal
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From an editorial in one of Croatia's biggest newspapers:

quote:
Taylor’s brutal start (to the match) destroyed the ambition of a small but great soccer nation to hope for a European title. Eduardo’s injury was like a death in the beautiful game.

Wenger was right in what he first said. It was not so nice to hear that he toned it down later.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anything else would be out of order because the laws of the game don't operate a sliding scale of severity for incidents like this (as far as I know).
The laws of the game don't cover the levels of suspensiosn and things at all. But the FA do indeed have the right to increase suspensions for incidents regarded as particularly serious, and have done so on numerous occasions.
Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tapiocahead
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Tapiocahead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be worth bearing in mind that Martin Taylor spent about 4 seasons being 'coached' by this person...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O5epTxuIX4&feature=related

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I heard the post-match interview, in which he just said Taylor was distraught and that he wasn't that sort of player. Much as I think it was a very bad tackle, I didn't see a problem with those comments, unless he's said something else since.
McLeish's initial comments implied that Taylor was distraught at being sent off. It was only when the interviewer asked about his reaction to Eduardo's injury that McLeish said "oh, of course he's distraught at the injury to Eduardo. That's what I meant" (ahem).

There's no doubt that the referee was absolutely correct to send off Taylor. The FA may consider extending his ban to five games, if only to quieten the media outcry. What almost certainly won't happen, though, is the FA condemning studs-up tackles per se and taking steps to ensure that they are permanently eliminated from the game. They will be happy just to see this incident quietly forgotten about, while maintaining a minimum workload for themselves.

Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
Souness only got a yellow for that?

Fucking hell.

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mighty Mudhsuden
Member # 1072

- posted      Profile for Mighty Mudhsuden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's not a clean break, though. it's a horrific compound fracture where the open wound got stamped into the mud. i will be astonished if eduardo plays for arsenal again.
Just out of interest, why only Arsenal?
Posts: 2061 | From: Hackensack... is that all you get for your money? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Your Own Personal Jihad
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for Your Own Personal Jihad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicaly it wasn't a compound fracture.

There was a double fracture of the tib and fib, and an open dislocation of the ankle joint. Providing he doesn't get any post-op infections he should play again.

David Busst's career was ended by infections, not by the fracture itself.

Posts: 147 | From: Between a rock and a hard funk. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just out of interest, why only Arsenal?
How do you mean ?
Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think MM wonders why he'd never play again for Arsenal but maybe for someone else.

I presume it might be because he might recover enough to play at a lower level but will never 100% regain the qualities that made him a prospect at a major club.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps he agrees with Arsene that he's more likely to get more of the same treatment playing for Arsenal.

Quite apart from the fact that he might never be physically the player he was, I wonder how this incident will affect a) his confidence, especially when running against opposition players and b) how vigorously and recklessly opposition players challenge him in the future?

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The cantering captain
Member # 942

- posted      Profile for The cantering captain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on him. It didn't bother Henrik Larsson.
Posts: 1476 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larsson responded to his leg break by having the greatest season of his career -- 53 goals in all competitions.

Before that, he had felt his way back by playing as a substitute for Sweden at Euro 2000, but still managed to score against the defensively parsimonious Italians.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Technicaly it wasn't a compound fracture.
YOPJ - my understanding is that a compound fracture is one where the broken bones pierce the skin. this has happened in eduardo's case.

it's a far worse injury than larsson's. larsson broke both the tibia and fibula, but the skin around the breaks remained intact. same with cisse. neither of those guys had some big oaf stamp right through their shin and crush the break into the mud.

MM - harry is right as to what i meant with the comment that i don't expect him to play for arsenal again.

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

Larsson's was just a freak collision of limbs with Serge Blanc of Olympique Lyon as the two of them were chasing the ball into a corner. I remember John Barnes afterwards expressing his utter disbelief at how it could have happened in that manner.
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to be fair to Martin Taylor, there's a couple of articles in The Independent today showing a lot of support for him and, again in fairness, towards YOPJ/TPC's general viewpoint.

Having read the articles I looked at the pictures again. I still think the most generous thing you can say about a challenge that results in the tackler' s studs being planted on the other player's shin, no matter how accidentally, is that it is about as reckless as you could be short of actual intent to harm or intimidate. I mean, why do the studs need to be raised at all?

I'm grudgingly willing to accept, however, that Taylor wasn't trying consciously to intimidate Eduardo. I still find it hard to believe that there wasn't at least a little bit of Taylor wanting to make his presence felt, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. In so far as anyone cares what I think.

Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC