This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Any Middlesbrough supporters on here? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Any Middlesbrough supporters on here?
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RD: I know they hate us but their pissing in the wind. Sunderland and Newcastle have been at it since the English Civil War and its too late to stop now.
Newcastle teams trains were being stoned leaving Sunderland after matches in the 1890's. Newcastle's various clubs scallywags were attacking our ruffians before Newcastle United came into existence.
No-one on Wearside or Tyneside ever says after losing to Villa or Chelsea or Everton "Oh well at least the Smogs got beat" but they do say "At least the mags/mackems got beat"....and all too frequently.

[ 04.03.2008, 15:00: Message edited by: Alania Vladikavkaz Shinhatsubi ]

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paxton Sprout
Member # 2169

- posted      Profile for Paxton Sprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Hitchin based Boro fan is a town planner.
Posts: 497 | From: where I'm standing behind the goal that was clearly offside | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So that's a solicitor, a teacher and a town planner. Pity the teacher's not a developer, otherwise we'd be asking some serious questions...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's alright everyone,as you were. I'm all sorted out now.

[ 04.03.2008, 17:26: Message edited by: Harry Carpenter ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though I don't think it would register in any census (indeed I don't think I took part in it as it propogated the slatternly notion of "supporting" multiple teams) I do have the tiniest soft spot for Boro.

It's based mainly on the differing versions of this kit ;

-

Though I actually prefer the later ones with a sleeker collar ( but can find no colour pics of that one).

I thought very little of them until a decade or so later when I got hooked on Harry Pearson's writing, I even bought some bumper collection of the MSS fanzine because of his articles in it.

Of course, the current incarnation of the club do seem to be the standard bearer for bland identikit, new stadium dwelling , characterless mid table Premiership sides.

[ 04.03.2008, 17:34: Message edited by: Harry Carpenter ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
colonel cathcart
Member # 1515

- posted      Profile for colonel cathcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a good while skulking in the shadows of OTF (with only one slightly misunderstood post at the height of the Downing witch-hunt to my name), I’ll raise my head above the parapet.

I’ve never quite understood the level of vitriol on here; not just for Boro, but for lots of other middling teams, like Blackburn, Bolton and so on. But, yeah, alright, mainly for Boro. It seems to be OK to support a big club, and ok to support a lower league club (provided, of course, they aren’t too big for their division, like Leeds for example), but not the run-of-the-mill teams that keep the Premiership functioning.

No one from Middlesbrough would expect anyone from outside the town to support us. Why would you?

Middlesbrough’s not on the way to anywhere.

We’d not won anything until 2004, and then it was a devalued trophy, which people probably thought we ‘bought’ through foreign signings.

We had the temerity to start signing big money players in the 90’s.

We ‘robbed’ plucky little Chesterfield of an F.A. Cup Final spot.

We’ve never had a really memorable footballing side, like, say the West Brom team that walloped United at Old Trafford.

Our best player, Wilf Mannion, stopped playing about 50 years ago.

Middlesbrough’s a long way from being a perfect place to live (like virtually everywhere else in the country, but let’s not let that spoil things).

We gave the nation Steve McClaren.

Ok, you can have that last one. But all the stuff about us being a standard bearer for the bland, middling teams – that is almost certainly true, but almost certainly a by-product of the Premiership itself. Have you noticed just how many teams there are like that now? Fucking loads – all just trying to stay in the Premiership, and accepting the fact that they’re never, ever, ever going to challenge for the league title. Ever. I’d love us to play expansive, attacking football and delight the nation with virtuoso displays of skill and verve. But we would get relegated.

Our par crowd at the moment seems to be about 25,000, which in turn seems about right for a town of our size. What’s daft about fans who pick and choose their games because they can’t be bothered to watch their team turn out as cannon fodder for bigger clubs, or grind out results against similar clubs, with no loftier ambition than simply staying in the shit league that makes them play that way in the first place? All that bollocks about following your team through good and bad held a lot truer when the players weren’t on £30,000 a week and there was always, however slight, the chance that next year might just be your year.

I enjoy watching Man United and Arsenal, and it warms the cockles of my heart to see Everton doing so well. But they are the exception, and are still, let’s face it, viewing fourth place as the absolute pinnacle of potential achievement. It’s a shit league.

Anyway, I appear to be going as pointlessly astray as an Arca backpass.

I still enjoy following Boro. I enjoyed growing up in Middlesbrough and I’m proud to come from Middlesbrough. Which is why all the offhand sneering on this board really pisses me off.

Toodle pip.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Cathcart. And a very good post. You don't need the "approval" of anyone on here.

You should go back to simple white hoop, though.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, I've had a look, and MK Dons got one point, because somebody looks out for their results. That person was Purves Grundy, and we all know why he looks out for them, so maybe I should have counted it as minus one.

And welcome Colonel Cathcart: you've single-handedly propelled Boro 321 places up the chart to 71st equal (with Cheltenham).

Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good post Cathcart - though, your not jeff Stelling off SKY by chance are you??

You are though aren't you...

And no, its not alright to support Leeds round here, but fuck em hahaha!

Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

Oh I like the Colonel! Self-deprocating but punchy too, excellent. Please post more.

Have Boro had that bad a press on here before then, can't say I've noticed it.

I think one of their problems has been replacing the Juninho/Ravanelli era where there was something about them to now when there's...just not much you can latch on to remark upon really. Sorry if that and my post above is sneering, it's not meant to be and I am hardly in a position to do so with my club.

I hope they get humiliated on Sunday, of course, not that it's likely.

Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never liked Boro particulary feeling them pointless but, since what's happened with Villa, I am not writing off any of these teams anymore. They can turn around and be interesting at the drop of a manager.

I quite like Southgate as well although he is not a great manager and, to be honest, Steve Gibson seems OK as well.

Thinking about it,it was mainly Robson and his vacant face that seemed to be the problem with them I think.

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and this

quote:
I enjoyed growing up in Middlesbrough and I’m proud to come from Middlesbrough.
means you don't have to explain anything about supporting Middlesborough. I can't claim the same about Cardiff

(I mean "coming from Middlesborough" rather than "proud to..". The latter couldmean you are quite mad for all I know)

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Houdi Elbow
Member # 126

- posted      Profile for Houdi Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which is why all the offhand sneering on this board really pisses me off.
Compared to solicitors you came off lightly.
Posts: 879 | From: ATV Land | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
colonel cathcart
Member # 1515

- posted      Profile for colonel cathcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah - I'd forgotten about Robson. I take it all back.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

You must have a storming therapist if you've forgotten about Robson already.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC