This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The best defence in the Championship is? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The best defence in the Championship is?
Jamzinho
Member # 442

- posted      Profile for Jamzinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leicester City apparently. 34 goals conceded in 36 games, yet they are 19th out of 24 teams
Posts: 220 | From: Coventry | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bristol City are top with a goal difference of about plus 3. It's certainly a topsy-turvy world in the Championship this season.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brian potter
Member # 691

- posted      Profile for brian potter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bristol City are top of the Championship because nobody has won more games than them. End of.
Posts: 1402 | From: your father's hand that always seemed like a fist | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamzinho
Member # 442

- posted      Profile for Jamzinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It says something about the division though, that Bristol C are top with a +3, and Leicester are 19th with the best defensive record and a goal difference of squat. Obviously Bristol C are much better at winning games by narrow margins, and lose the occasional game by a few goals, whilst leicester seem to do the opposite, thump the occasional team 4-0, and then lose plenty by the odd goal.

We always say that this division is odd but its very true. Last night Coventry hammered QPR 0-0, the same QPR who beat Stoke 3-0. I'd love to know what any QPR fans thought of the game?

Posts: 220 | From: Coventry | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mnb098mnb
Member # 1484

- posted      Profile for mnb098mnb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it as odd as League Two though? So far there's been more away wins than home wins this season.
Posts: 431 | From: Bracknell | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamzinho
Member # 442

very true, i heard that on a podcast earlier this evening.
brian potter
Member # 691

- posted      Profile for brian potter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jam, it says that after 36 games Bristol City are the best side so far.

Why everyone seems to sneer at that and see that as a sign of a weak division as if it's our fault is beyond me. All we can do is beat what's in front of us, and so far we've done that pretty damn well. A lot better than your lads have, for example.

Posts: 1402 | From: your father's hand that always seemed like a fist | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It IS a weak division though, not because Bristol City are on top of it but because there is real lack of quality across all sides.

None of Bristol City, Stoke or Watford are that convincing, WBA and Charlton seem schizophrenic and three of those five will go up. There isn't the outstanding side that recent seasons have had like Reading, Wigan or Sunderland and the quality of the top six is the worst I can remember since we have been here.

The division as a whole seems to have reverted to long ball football heavily at a time where it is less likely than ever before to succeed in the top flight.

I am not keen on your team Brian but I'll concede if you go up it will be a magnificent achievement, it's just that you will be the most poorly equipped of the promoted sides, football-wise, in about five years.

[ 06.03.2008, 22:24: Message edited by: Harry Carpenter ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamzinho
Member # 442

I've not actually criticized BC Brian, simply pointed out how narrow the margins are in this league this season - with no team really blowing everyone else away.

BC are probably the best team I've seen us play this season along with WBA (just as BC were last year when they beat us in the cup). Your manager has made some excellent signings - and certainly managed to get Adebola scoring a few goals.

The real point I was making is that its very odd that a team with such a good defensive record is so far down the league. Typically we would expect one of the top teams to have the best defence, and also the highest scoring attack.

ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't the outstanding side that recent seasons have had like Reading, Wigan or Sunderland and the quality of the top six is the worst I can remember since we have been here.

Which, in it's perverse way, is what's making the whole race for promotion fascinating (that's if you take the neutral stance). The need to get into the Premiership has made every team involved need to scrape and claw for every point they've got to just reach spitting distance of the top two spots (and, even then, the teams in those positions can't guarantee that they'll be there in a week or two). Even Albion's credo of trying to play attractive football in a competitve division like the Championship is coming under pressure, and a small shift to a more defensive mindset and scrabbling for a one-or-two goal win seems to be preferred now (which is a pity, since, for a time, playing your way out of it seemed a worthy principle to adhere to). I think it's the pure competitiveness of that division which is making it into football's genuine version of a sack race - racing along, stumbling, getting up again, racing along, stumbling, etc.

And all credit to Bristol City. Gary Johnson's done superbly (and discreetly) when considering the alternative that commentators had in mind for them (ie. relegation). But no-one hasn't got the division by the scruff of the neck - and may never do so.

[ 07.03.2008, 08:57: Message edited by: ian .64 ]

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it as odd as League Two though? So far there's been more away wins than home wins this season.
League Two is just plain shit
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you're bottom of the pile...

What are the odds on the three relegated teams from next season's top division coming from this season's second?

Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And you're bottom of the pile...
Yep, yet we can beat Franchise, Darlington and get a draw away at Peterborough
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly it's the Scabs you should be beating...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night Coventry hammered QPR 0-0, the same QPR who beat Stoke 3-0. I'd love to know what any QPR fans thought of the game?

Mixed opinions. We drew 00 at Barnsley in the previous away match, and there's a decent chance that'll be the score tomorrow against Wednesday. It might be Gigi's strategy, we play not lose away and go all out for a win at home. OTOH our defence now has a settled but look about it, but away from home the mid and forwards frequently aren't on the same page. For those that went the match was as exciting as reading a telephone directory.

[ 07.03.2008, 15:56: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC