This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Administration (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Administration
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a SWFC snapshot
Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Phoebe, I wish that I could claim that Wednesday fans were united in their opposition to Bates, but the reality is that many were all in favour. Based on message board postings, which I admit is not very scientific, I reckon that fans were fairly evenly split, with perhaps a slight majority in favour of taking Ken's filthy lucre.

You'd think that with hindsight and realising the bullet we dodged there, fans would be a little more questioning about the current takeover talk, but apparently not.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though Battylad's "snapshot" seems to consist of the comments of a single fan, which seems a bit weak.
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Batty, you're the Fox Mulder of Elland Road, wanting to believe!
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Houdi Elbow
Member # 126

- posted      Profile for Houdi Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That site seems to be a mouthpiece for the trust and Bates - hardly representative. Maybe Bombanero knows who is behind it?

I tend to agree with adhoc's post, although I would like to think a majority were anti Bates.

Posts: 879 | From: ATV Land | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just running out of the door to work, so a quick google type found that - I am sure I could dig up more to back up what Ad just posted - there was no big protest and no massive revolt against Bates -its a myth that seems to have been perpetuated by those who "want to believe". And lets not forget, the Owls fans had a good heads up that he was coming, not waking up to a "Deal done" in the middle of the night as Leeds fans found themselves...

Mind you, not that it would have overly mattered I suppose. What interests me is this. So what exactly have the "football" fans who despise Bates done to rid him from football? OK, you lot who's clubs have not been touched by Bates appear to have this moral high ground hatred for the man - so what have you personally done or is it a simple case of "No our problem" on one hand, yet happy to shout from the roof tops on the other? Its not a question designed to deflect, I am curious how a man so universally hated in the game by fans of clubs he has had no input into has not caused a protest from fans united? After all, the man is a Football problem? Or is it deemed easier to simply slag other fans off for not doing anything?

The truth is out there - as they say...

Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

That argument is all over the place, Battylad. The overnight "done deal" nature of the takeover at Leeds ought to have provoked more protests - protesting about what might be is significantly harder to do than protesting about what is.
Battylad
Member # 1334

Rather depends how you view it - you wake up one morning and get told Bates or liquidation? Do you make the best of a shitty hand and get on with it and wait and see what transpires or protest because the man is disliked for being a clever business man? That wasn't the situation at the Owls - there was no need for Bates to "save" them? Leeds had a dire need due to a bunch of cowboys out of their depth...
ad hoc
Member # 52

The man is disliked for being a bent businessman, not fro being clever.

I think if you wake up one morning and get told "Bates or liquidation" you ought to protest about something.

Battylad
Member # 1334

The protests came when we realised that Liesdale and the PLC had fucked us up. After he had gone, it was a case of sticking by the club as it tried to sort out a mess that was incomprehensible to the average fan - I really do wonder what would have been the reaction of other clubs had they had to go through that. Its easy for others to throw stuff at Leeds fans. To be honest, its tiresome at times. Not the on field stuff, not the Dirty Leeds stuff, that's part and parcel. Its more the unreal expectation that we should have seen it all this coming and bank on the fact that we should have simply expected the PLC to have been built on sand and never fallen for liesdales spin. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but by the time Bates arrived the supports had a very different mindset to that which angrily protested to oust Liesdale...
ad hoc
Member # 52

You know what, I am not quite sure why I'm getting sucked into arguing a position that I don't exactly believe in. I actually don't think it's surprising that Leeds fans did what they did at that time, and I don't think Wednesday fans somehow heroically stood up to Bates and repelled him at the gates.

But I have to say I do find the paranoia and the whole "No-one likes us, and we're really quite hurt by that actually" thing Leeds fans have going on, really really tiresome.

Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bored - Was this expected?

Sorry, Battylad, forgot to check into this thread. As Harry has pointed out, it was generally believed.

There is a lot of rumour flying about at the moment of the "A mate sat next to Peter Ridsdale on the train and he said..." variety but, to be honest, the judgement is expected next Tuesday so I am going to wait for that.

I am slightly worried that City's lawyer started referring to us as "The Bluebirds" and had to be pulled up by the judge in a "Who's Gazza" type clarification. Apparently, it caused laughter in the courtroom but that sort of worries me

[ 14.03.2008, 10:15: Message edited by: Bored Of The Dance ]

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

"But I have to say I do find the paranoia and the whole "No-one likes us, and we're really quite hurt by that actually" thing Leeds fans have going on, really really tiresome. "

Not sure that's what I am saying - What I am saying is that the moral high ground taken by many on here and other fans I speak to amazingly hypocritical. Its not an argument as such, I just get dragged in by sly digs that do not account for the whole picture as I see it and then feel compelled to fight the corner. Leeds fans paranoid - possibly - no one likes us - accepted - really quite hurt about it - no - just bored of going over the finance side of things again and again and again - apologies if it appears any other way. I will leave it at that...

Disney Girl
Member # 1348

- posted      Profile for Disney Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Halifax have just gone into administration. Won't be the last in the Conference this season I suspect...
Posts: 423 | From: now until the shipping forecast at 00.15 hours here is 'sailing by'...... | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours should be announced today.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC