This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Administration (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Administration
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know if the rumours about Southampton on the brink too have any substance?
Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really speak for 'wednesday fans', but I think houdi's proportion's are about right. Bates came on the scene when we were in our second lowest ever league position, and given that Allen had doubled the debt at that point, many people felt Bates was a risk worth taking.

My antipathy to the Trust is based on what happened to WISA around the time of Bates's interest. I was a WISA member, knew a lot of the people involved, and felt very comfortable with their aims and objectives. They also had a decent relationship with the club, with regular fan forums, anti-racism forums (fora?) and all the stuff that is in the fans charter. They had no illusions about Allen being a good or nice man, but understood the limitations of what they could do at that point in time, and the possible alternatives if he fucked off: concentration of the shares, an autocrat taking charge, and much less influence for the fans.

Allen only ever had 10% of the shares, he always had to act with other directors and at least in the beginning tried to act so as to secure as wide a base of support as possible. This was, in principle, not that bad a situation in comparison to many other clubs at the time, in terms of checks and balances.

A few months after Bates came on the scene (I think it was the summer of 2004), there was a WISA AGM, at which Neil Hargreaves and many of his friends turned up and joined. Naturally, they had full voting rights. WISA had several hundred members, but only 30 or so were at the meeting. Hargreaves and co proposed and voted for two motions: one of no confidence in the SWFC board, and one supporting Bates (I think). The no confidence one carried but the Bates one failed.

This pretty much killed WISA - they couldn't really carry on doing their work with the club on community issues if they were representatives of an organisation that was officially hostile to the board.

I think the Bates supporters were much more vocal than anyone else, but not really all that numerous. The letters pages of the Green Un would probably support that.

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Houdi Elbow
Member # 126

- posted      Profile for Houdi Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should add that at the time of the Bates approach, Dave Allen was hugely unpopular amongst the Wednesday support and I would have expected a far stronger "Allen out" movement had Bates not appeared on the scene. As it was, a lot of fans (me included) took the attitude that Allen may be bad, but Bates would be a whole lot worse. The 'resistance' angle may be overplayed, but it isn't entirely inaccurate either.
Posts: 879 | From: ATV Land | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. The 'Allen Out' movement such as it was, was led by Darryl Keys. His position on Bates was 'I don't support him, I support his right to look at the books and make his proposal'. That lacked all credibility in most people's eyes, and there were strong suspicions about his connections with Bates.

So the 'anti Bates' people (like me) were much more annoyed with the 'anti Allen' crowd than with Bates himself: that was a battle between two cunts and enthusiastically taking sides would have been silly. Sensible people gave tacit support to Allen for resisting Bates, nothing more.

'death to the popular people's front of judea', etc etc etc

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like we're asking for a second 10 day extension. Taking Easter into account, that should take us into April.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was turned down, but we were granted a 24 hour extension. Which should allow time for the mythical "mystery investor" to reveal themselves. Or not. So, minus ten points at five o'clock today it will be...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The League's policy is bloody rubbish in that it simply doesn't add any incentive. By the time you go into administration, it doesn't (and nor should it) stop you, but the decisions that get taken which lead to administration get taken years earlier often by different people and those decisions are simply not being affected at all by it. And the league know it.

My suggestion is that they deducted a point for every month they don't pay their tax. That'll stop em.

Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

Fucking bollocks. Another fucking season wasted.
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry GO.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

Those cunts from Cheaterfield have taken our play-off spot.
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sorry GO, Dangermouse et al. Must be gutting for it to happen again.
Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, that must be gutting. Commiserations GO...
Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danger Mouse
Member # 111

- posted      Profile for Danger Mouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I was angry/determined etc. Just resigned to it all now I think. Maybe the zeal will return.

Not looking forward to working out what else to do with my Saturday afternoons..

Posts: 2176 | From: Baker Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fucking hell, GO. What a pisser.

We really do need to look at a rule similar to Germany's about club spending. NHH's tax cheat crackdown suggestion is good too.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much sympathy and empathy here, GO.
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC