This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » CIS Insurance Cup Final (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: CIS Insurance Cup Final
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a real whiff of nostalgia about that. Under Wee Jim, we used to get a Truly Sickening Cup Final Defeat every couple of years or so. This is the first one for 17 years.

You might have a different list, Fel, but this would be my ranking of cup final misery:

1. SC 1991 Motherwell. Ruined the whole summer. Still bitter about the winning goal (clear foul on Alan Main). Still have nightmares about the Malpas sitter in injury time.

2=. SC 1985 and SC 1987 Celtic. The passage of time has merged these two games into one. 1-0 up both times and beaten by late goals. In one of those games, Bannon missed an open goal at 1-0. Have no intention of ever revisiting either match to jog my memory.

4. LC 1981 Rangers. 1-0 up and on course for three in a row LC wins. Sturrock scores a beauty to make it 2-0 but it's disallowed. Rangers score twice late on.

5. LC 2008 Rangers. Mark fucking Kerr.

6. SC 1988. St Mirren. Perfectly good goal disallowed at 0-0. Shocker of a game.

7. UEFA Cup 1987. Ranked low despite it's status because we never really looked like winning it.

8. SC 1981 Rangers. Well beaten in the replay but should never have allowed it to get to a second game.

9. LC 1984 Rangers. Standing in the open end at Hampden in the pissing rain watching one of the worst games ever played. The St Mirren cup final was a classic in comparison.

10. SC 2005 Celtic. Dull game lost to an early goal.

11. LC 1997 Celtic. The best kind of cup final defeat. Well beaten by a better team.

12. SC 1974 Celtic. See number 11.

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at that Rangers Skol Cup Final in 1984. I remember the weather was rubbish and I'm remembering Rangers won 1-0, the game was so poor I might be totally wrong with that score. But not the winner.

I also went to the 1987 Final with friends as St Mirren fans for the day. I dimly recall that Dundee United deserved nothing from it whatsoever and Iain Ferguson really was the best thing on the pitch.

I've never liked Dundee United much, in part from an adverse experience with some of their inbred fans in a League match with Rangers in 1989, more from their spineless capitulation to Celtic in the 85 and 88 Finals. Oh, and Jim McLean too, the second most archetypal sourfaced Dundonian after dreach, drab, Dick Donald.

Jim McLean probably wasn't even from Dundee but he certainly adopted their characteristics in his time there.

So anyway, to summarise. Fuck em.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick Donald is an Aberdonian and Jim McLean is from the Rangers heartland of Larkhall.

Of course, no-one has ever formed an aversion to Rangers after encountering their tolerant, good humoured supporters.

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dundee madeth the men though, Jim McLean would have been a carefree happy-go lucky fellow if it wasn't for the years of horrible Broughty Ferry conditioning he underwent. Dundee made him the sour, shrivelled, tight, bitter little man he became.

Everyone has an aversion to Rangers and Celtic unless they support them. Fair enough. That's not to say that the support by proxy that clubs like Dundee United get when playing them is thus deserved.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

"No one likes us we don't care" they say but it looks like the poor dears are desperate to be loved.

Harry Carpenter, Gus Tomato and The Cantering Captain - you've caused a lot of hurt.

blameless
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for blameless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
clear foul on Alan Main

Considering your players (particularly that great lumbering ox John Clark) battered Ally Maxwell half to death in that game, I don't think you've got much to complain about there.

Posts: 3576 | From: a factually and morally wrong perspective | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

I can complain all night about that travesty of a result. Maxwell got hurt in an accidental collision. We also had 2 goals disallowed one of which was a perfectly good goal.

And, of course, Maxwell brought John O'Neill down in the box - no penalty out of sympathy!

[ 17.03.2008, 09:42: Message edited by: Melbourne Arab ]

Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a real whiff of nostalgia about that.

Funnily enough, BBC Scotland began their coverage with "CIS Cup Final 2008...or is it?" and did a trendy montage of our 80s games v Rangers in-the-style-of 'Ashes to Ashes' (which Mel won't know-it's a time travel cop show, 21st century cop finds herelf in the 80s...)

Ms. Felicity, who watched the game from the start in a sunnily optimistic mood said 'The 80s-your glory years are coming back!'

I thought-the 80s...Hampden hoodoos...fuck NO!

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Say No To Vorderman
Member # 1534

- posted      Profile for Just Say No To Vorderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how was that penalty not given? and how come no rangers players were booked for leaving the field after the goals?come to think of..i can't ever remember a rangers player being booked for celebrating a goal in such a way

that backpass was dreadful :-(

Posts: 1735 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is leaving the field of play still a bookable offence? I thought it only warranted punishment if it was provoking the crowd?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a real shame, that result.

As a general rule, I couldn't really care less if Rangers win the league cup every year as I don't see it as an especially important competition, but I really wanted Dundee United to win it as it would have meant so much to them - much more than it meant to Rangers - especially with the whole Eddie Thompson situation. And I've always had a big soft spot for the Arabs.

The fact that Dundee United should have had a penalty that the referee denied them, and that that horrible little prick Kris Boyd scored the goals for Rangers, only makes it more annoying.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The cantering captain
Member # 942

- posted      Profile for The cantering captain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair to the officials, they also wrongly ruled Darcheville offside when he was clean through. So they were incompetent, not biased.
Posts: 1476 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuzzy Dunlop
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Fuzzy Dunlop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
archetypal sourfaced Dundonian
We have an archetype? I can't think of anyone I know that fits it.

quote:
their characteristics
Other than the accent, I don't know what these could be.

quote:
Dundee made him the sour, shrivelled, tight, bitter little man
Of course it did, and yet it managed to avoid doing the same to hundreds of thousands of others.

quote:
horrible Broughty Ferry conditioning
What does this involve? Enforced swimming round the harbour, in January, alternately sooking a lemon and chanting Presbyterian catechisms?

Dumb down the language, add a few swear words, and throw in the odd 'Scumdee', 'jakey', 'junkie' and 'teenage lassies wi bairns' and this wouldn't look out of place on Pie and Bovril.

Posts: 564 | From: a vulture distracted by donkeys. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuzzy Dunlop
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Fuzzy Dunlop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Commiserations to the Arabs, by the way. Believe it or not, I was gutted when I heard the score last night.

Cantering Captain -

Ivan Golac's magic
He wears a magic hat
He got United relegated
Then he got the sack.

Nae dour pusses when this sang's sung.

Posts: 564 | From: a vulture distracted by donkeys. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

Dalliance must be the first person ever to get bitter and twisted after winning a final. I wonder what he'd be like if they'd lost.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC