This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Gretna in Administration (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Gretna in Administration
Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet
Member # 6498

- posted      Profile for Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was very irresponsible funding Gretna to such a position, yet were unable to even upgrade their own ground to the necessary standards. It was bound to fail, especially considering the distance for the Home fans to travel. The novelty wore off afrer a while as well, probably.
Posts: 714 | From: Anglesey, North Wales | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's a world of difference between throwing money at a club and building success by developing links with your community and doing the hard graft of youth development and marketing.

If Brookes Mileson had really wanted to shake up Scottish football with Gretna he would have spent his money on revenue generating facilities to make sure that Gretna were able to sustain a more gentle rise up the leagues.

While I agree in principle with developing infrastructure at a club rather than taking short cuts is a much safer way to build, let's be honest here, to try and do that at a club the size of Gretna would take generations rather than years and you would likely still not end up with an infrastructure able to support anything better than the Albion Rover end of Scottish football.

As his current plight suggests, the owner did not have the time to take the longer view with this one. There is no way that a Gretna could ever get to a Cup Final, Europe and the top division without this sort of involvement.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel as strongly as some posters about this, but I was always struck by the hypocrisy of the authorities when it came to Gretna.

I distinctly remember Aberdeen being spared relegation/Falkirk denied promotion on the basis of a ground (and resources, fanbase, etc) far better than Gretna's being deemed unfit.

Why did they get away with it?

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As his current plight suggests, the owner did not have the time to take the longer view with this one. There is no way that a Gretna could ever get to a Cup Final, Europe and the top division without this sort of involvement.
Doesn't that support the contention that it was a personal ego-trip for him as opposed to being for the good of the club or Scottish football though?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gretna don't play at their own home ground in the SPL, Felicity. Or have I misunderstood you?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chippy
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Chippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SPL started off as a cartel to build 8 regional teams who would give the old firm a challenge. The kind of tosh that somehow all football fans in Fife and Ayrshire would get behind Dunfermline or Kilmarnock.

In order to do this they created articial entry tariffs: e.g. minimum seating requirements, undersoil heating that inevitably reduced the quality of the teams facing relegation and threw a spanner in the works of the teams going for promotion.

In the end these barriers collapsed as the SPL experiment failed. Particularly when it looked likely that ICT would not get promoted. ICT being the team the sort of team they actually needed to expand their base.

With Gretna, Raydale was simply inadequate for SPL football. A capacity of 2,200 mostly on a not segregated terracing.

Posts: 3563 | From: Standlake | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I was getting at was they wouldn't let others groundshare temporarily (at that time) Harry.
Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chippy
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Chippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7290540.stm

Chic Young is dalliance...

Posts: 3563 | From: Standlake | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chippy
Member # 23

They had stupid rules about not sharing with a non-SPL club. So ICT shared with Aberdeen until everyone saw some sense.
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cheating is bribing referees, not being a bit irresponsible spending more money than you've got, something that has gone on in football regularly since the advent of professionalism and always will.
Expanding a business always involves risk, but there are degrees. There's risk and there's gross fiancial mismanagement. Mileson has been funding Gretna through money lent from another of his companies (and thus if there is any money left over, he's the principal creditor and will get most of it anyway) and has a trail of unpaid bills and unfulfilled promises stretching way back.

This isn't a case of a club just overreaching itself and not succeeding.

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

Ah Felicity, "a ground" not "their ground", I see.
Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet
Member # 6498

- posted      Profile for Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had an issue with minimum seating requirements. 3,000 would have been more than adequate for Gretna as a team, with say 500 visiting fans allocation.

However, rules being what they are, Gretna and Mileson knew the score beforehand and didn't seem to be preoccupied with doing something about it.

Posts: 714 | From: Anglesey, North Wales | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuzzy Dunlop
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Fuzzy Dunlop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 3,000 seater stadium would never have covered the SPL level wage bill they were paying though, Aldo. And they were paying those wages in the 1st Division.
Posts: 564 | From: a vulture distracted by donkeys. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember watching Gretna get rogered 5-1 at home to Derry City in the UEFA Cup a few years ago and wondering where on earth all this was going to end.

I'm kind of surprised they have managed to win four or five matches in the SPL.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some absolute clown on the 606 Forums (yes, that bastion of informed comment) is suggesting merging Hearts & Hibs, and Dundee & Dundee Utd (amongst others,) as a means of increasing interest.

I'd like to see a proper pyramid system in Scotland.

Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC