This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Fathers against sons (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fathers against sons
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has a father ever played against his son in a top professional league game? I'm sure I've read that the Laudrups played with their father in Danish football but I'm not sure about actually opposing teams having a father and son in them.

I'm asking because I was reading recently about Joćo Pinto's recent retirement from football and the fact that he couldn't realise his final dream of playing alongside his son Tiago in a professional game. There was no real chance left that they would play together but if Joćo Pinto had kept going for another season there could've been a possibility of them opposing one another.

I can imagine playing with your son would be a really proud moment, but playing against your son or father must be completely surreal and I'd be interested to hear if it has ever happened.

[ 19.03.2008, 14:05: Message edited by: steveeeeeeeee ]

Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've a sneaky suspicion Johnny Astons Jr and Sr played on the same team, possibly at PNE. I'll have a dig around in my stattotastic books to see if I can find out more.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet
Member # 6498

- posted      Profile for Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a famous story about the Gudjohnsen's in Iceland of course, Son (Eidur) coming on for his Father.
Posts: 714 | From: Anglesey, North Wales | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm confusing Gudjohnsen for Laudrup.
Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I played with Ray Wilkins' son against him in a fathers/sons pre season match for my sunday league team. Does that count?
Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teddy Sheringham signed for Colchester in the hope of playing against his son Charlie, who is at Palace, but Charlie's a long way from the first team (he was fifth choice for the youth team at Ipswich, behind younger players when we let him go), that it's not going to happen.
Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steveeeee, I don't think you are confusing the Laudrups. I'm pretty sure that Michael overlapped with his father for at least a year at KB and/or Brondby. Brian is too young to have done that except in a friendly.

Paolo Maldini was also hoping to pull it off at Milan, but it doesn't look like it will happen.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Wiki, Laudrup senior's final season at Brondby was 81-82, while Michael's first season there was 82-83.

Michael Laudrup was briliant, wasn't he? One of my top three players ever, easily.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treibeis
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for treibeis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith Curle and his son were both registered as players at the same time at Mansfield. I don't know whether they played together, though.
Posts: 1298 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am pleased to share with you the priceless information that my eldest and I were on the team that won the Gosnells Six-a-Side competition two years ago.

We also played together a couple of times in charity matches. He then asked me to stop playing as it was embarrassing the family name.

[ 20.03.2008, 03:47: Message edited by: Uncle Ethan ]

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be a thread about Fathers who had sons who supported a different team...
Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not what you're looking for but in the UEFA Cup a couple of years ago, Rapiud Bucharest (coached at that time by Razvan Lucescu) played Shakhtor Donetsk (coached, still, by his dad, Mircea)
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Kamara's kid is a season ticket holder at Huddersfield. I bet that pisses him off something chronic...
Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has the 'ebullient' Ian Wrighty never lined up against SWP?
Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nuts 'n Gum
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for Nuts 'n Gum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think so - Shaun Wright-Phillips didn't get into the City team regularly until about 2001/02 at least, Ian Wright retired in 2000, the only time he was playing in the same division as his son was 99/2000 for about 10 games before he moved to Celtic, however Shaun hadn't made his league debut by this point.
Posts: 1220 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC