This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Man Utd vs Liverpool (Page 13)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Man Utd vs Liverpool
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
It's half hearted because not even Garcia believes all of it.
It's half piss take ( the tragic-heroic portrayal of Mascherano) and half sour grapes because of Liverpool's league usual capitulation to a team who Garcia reckons habitually kick their way to success.

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have saved Garcia En Dolor's post to my hard drive. I intend to print it out when I am at work on Tuesday, and subsequently keep it in my wallet, and take it out and look at it whenever my bank balance is telling me to hit the road Jack, or whenever my dog has died, or whenever I have been dumped by a woman, or whenever Fianna Fail win another election, or simply whenever I am in need of a damn good laugh.

Reina might be dodgy with crosses but he's not helped by pathetic defending. Skrtel made no effort to jump for the first

I initially saw the first goal as being Skrtel's fault, but on further viewings it looks like Reina howled "My ball!" at him and then made a mess of taking it. That is by far the most likely explanation for Skrtel suddenly deciding to duck out of the way despite Wes Brown steaming in behind him. The alternative is probably too horrific for Liverpool fans to contemplate.

Bennett did Liverpool a big favour by ordering Mascherano off. Instead of having to take an honest look at the obvious massive deficiencies in their team and their manager, or having to analyse why so many of their players performed horrifically badly in a big match against their most despised opponents, they can just blame it all on him instead.

[ 24.03.2008, 01:17: Message edited by: Hieronymus Bosch ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Garcia's post was amazing.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was. Yiu can fuck off now wingco, we have a new master parodist.

quote:
Ente Lippens was great, wasn't he.
G-Man, do you know whether the story is true that Lippens passed a mis-kicked goal-kick back to Sepp Maier and told him to take it again.
I've heard it several times but it seems a bit too extreme to be true.

Almost true. What happened is that he offered Maier that he'd return the ball to the keeper if he passed the goalkick to him. Maier didn't take him up on the kind offer, fearing quite logically that Lippens was taking the piss, and would score an easy goal. He was probably right.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I assume without reading this thread that it's the usual mix of general schadenfreude and fervent imaginings from the darkest recesses of AIATL's fantasy world in which Torres was booked for calling the Ref's mum a cunt (something which he'll have 2 pages of statistics about) and that Mascherano ran 3 miles to run Referee Bennett through with a sword and fuck his still twitching corpse, while Man Utd's players behaved as impeccably and gentlemanly as they always do? And that somewhere Statto will point out that if it had been Leeds they'd have all been deported to Sumatra or something?

Torres was booked because Bennett was fired up and ready to book anyone who looked funny at him.
Mascherano was stupid to run over to the ref and question that decision. In another game he wouldn't have been sent off but after Ashley Cole's tomfoolery someone in this or the next game was always going to be on the receiving end of a decision like this. Ferg was obviously cleverer than Benitez in telling his players to for once in their lives not whine like bitches. End of story.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, 13 pages on this match. Who'd have thunk it. A quick summary of my thoughts.

Mascherano can have few complaints apart from precedent, as some have pointed out before. It's quite unusual for players to get booked for dissent like this in the Premiership, especially when it's debateable if it was just a foul mouthed tirade rather than a line of questioning about the decision. It was bad (and stupid) timing from Mascherano coming so soon after the Cole incident. Three of four weeks down the line it would have been forgotten and he would have got away with it.

By contrast I had some sympathy for Torres. He was fouled extensively (though not viciously) throughout the match, he seemed to say one thing and was booked for it.

As regards the match, well, Liverpool were quite, quite awful. There was an article in The Times yesterday suggesting that Liverpool were prospering because Benitez had finally managed to replicate the 4231 formation he had at Valencia, having just about given up on traditional wingers.

It was a pretty tenuous piece because there were huge differences between the teams, and the actual formation ot must be said. He has a proper centre forward at Liverpool, in Angulo he had a converted one. At Valencia he had a proper playmaker behind the attack in Aimar, at Liverpool he has a converted one in Gerrard. And at Valencia he had plenty of width with Vicente and Carboni, at Liverpool he has had no good width in 4 years now.

You can tell Babel and Dirk Kuyt they're inside forwards rather than wingers all you like, they still have to support Torres and get the ball to him. You might as well play Kuyt at right back for all the help to Torres he is really, he seems to thrive mainly in marking the opposition left back these days.

Ferguson was smart yesterday playing 451 and essentially mirroring Liverpool's formation. When you flood the midfield like that then it becomes congested and the amount of time you have to react is negligible. This suits United because they have better technique in there, they can zip the ball about short distances and open the game up from there.

Gerrard can't play like that, he needs space. We've covered the so called wide players, Alonso has lost form and confidence and Mascherano was expending his energy on unrelated things. It meant that Liverpool never settled, never got their foot on the ball and their service to the unfortunate Torres was rushed and random. United defended pretty well too on the occasions they had to, they just isolated their man and eased him out of possession - added to a few powerful challenges on Torres. It reminded me in some ways of exactly what Milan did to them in the two European Cup matches, emasculated their opponents completely. They are learning lessons to their credit.

Srktel was a bit awry yesteray but I think has potential, Carragher was poor and has been in decline this season. I've talked long and hard about the fullback situation before and it was pretty evident again yesterday how average they are in those positions.

There was nothing Benitez could really have done differently tactically yesterday. When a player gets himself sent off like that early on, when you have a keeper who throws them into his net then it doesn't matter what formation you play. His team was simply not good enough anywhere on the pitch.

The curious thing is that in a lot of the recent matches between the pair Liverpool may have lost, but they looked the more composed and physically stronger side. They don't even seem to have that latter hollow boast anymore. They looked like a typical non top four Premiership side, out powered and error strewn.

I'm kind of getting the feeling that the turbulent situation behind the scenes will see no great desire for a messy change of managerial regime in the summer, Benitez might well get another chance next season unless this one collapses horribly from here.

I'm not sure I envy him. Just as he solves one one problem with his team, so another two open up in front of him. His team has a good spine but needs five good first team players to supplement it. There's no owner that will be giving him the money to solve that major headache.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes,

No mention of Leeds until you, I'm afraid. Mascherano was not given his second booking for that one moment. That was just the last in a whole string of sarcastic F*&% offs to the ref, finger wagging in the ref's face and generally mouthing off at him at every opportunity for about half an hour. The final one saw Mascherano summon the otherwise engaged ref with repeated "Eh!"s. When the ref pointed out that any more of Javier's opinions would see him heading for the dressing room he started anyway. About two sentences in and out came the red card. Then we had the whole John McEnroe "What did I do? What did I say? Why is everyone so against me? I was just asking a question! I was talking to myself!" performance.

Toro pointed out that players at that level never get booked for this. I provided a bunch of instances where they had.

[ 24.03.2008, 11:13: Message edited by: statto99 ]

Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dalliance,

Torres was booked because, after the ref had acknowledged his protests, he made the yap-yap gesture with his hand towards the official while still chuntering away.

And as I say, it wasn't that one incident that got Mascherano his second booking.

Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erwin
Member # 403

- posted      Profile for erwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ferguson:

quote:
"Dissent is dissent. I don't know why Mascherano came from central midfield to argue with the referee. With all the things that have happened this week with Ashley Cole, there has been a lot of attention on dissent and this was dissent."

Hmmm ... if Rooney got a yellow every time he told the referee to f*ck off, he'd hardly get a game through suspensions.
Posts: 3378 | From: just this side of beyond all hope | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

-

quote:
No, but, yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but, no, but, yeah but I know because I'm not giving no dissent because you know Ryan? Well, he saw the whole thing, right, because he was bunking off the left wing because he was gonna go down the tunnel to get some Lucozade, only don't tell Rafa that because he's wanted it ever since that tackle after ten minutes when the ref was totally givin' me the evils and it was soooooooo unfair, right...

statto99
Member # 82

erwin,

Mascherano did not get his booking just for the F*&% offs.

On further research, I'm wondering if Javier wasn't simply renewing an old (and I would say justifiable) dispute with Mr Bennett:

-

quote:
West Ham's Javier Mascherano believes Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe should have been sent off for appearing to bite the midfielder in Sunday's match.

Fifa regulations mean the Football Association cannot take action against Defoe, who was booked for what boss Martin Jol called a "comical nibble".

"To receive a bite was the worst thing that has happened to me since I came to England," said Mascherano.

"The strangest thing was that the referee did not send him off."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6079436.stm
statto99
Member # 82

Here's the video of the Defoe - Mascherano incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzXBSvngRR0

G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By contrast I had some sympathy for Torres. He was fouled extensively (though not viciously) throughout the match, he seemed to say one thing and was booked for it.
He was chatting back the whole game. When he received the yellow card, I was thinking: "About time."

erwin, you're quite right that Rooney's behaviour often is disgusting. But there is no point bringing that up (again; we dealt with that a few pages ago)in a discussion about Bennett's refereeing yesterday.

Yesterday, Man Utd players were on their best behaviour because they realised it was not the right day to chip at the ref, after the Cole incident in mid-week. Liverpool's manager and players were just too fucking stupid to realise that yesterday was not a good time to annoy the ref. It's their own bloody fault.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking about something I wrote about mascherano and hamann a couple of months ago, and about how about 60% of their game hinges on committing sly little tactical fouls, before holding your hand up, and apologising, and giving the ref your most charming little smile. You do this because once you're booked, you have to play fair, and suddenly become less effective.

That enabled him to commit six fouls in the first half of the liverpool inter milan game, while materazzi was sent off for his first three fouls. However yesterday, he was going mental. He made the glasses sign at the linesman when he blatantly bodychecked ryan giggs. He was shouting at the ref when he kicked a chunk out of ronaldo, even though the ref was no more than 5 metres away when it happened.

dalliance, if you go back and look at the first mascherano booking, torres is giving him an earful throughout while mascherano runs away. He was mouthing off at him throughout.

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm ... if Rooney got a yellow every time he told the referee to f*ck off, he'd hardly get a game through suspensions.

mascherano didn't get a yellow card for saying fuck off though, he got a yellow card for not stopping.

I mentioned before that I thought that the favorable refereeing that england internationals get as regards dissent, fouls, and penalties, keeps them in a permanent state of footballing adolescence.

Being booked a couple of more times for being a cunt mightn't do rooney any harm, in that he might learn that being a cunt hinders the whole football thing, and he might start to grow up and stop being such a cunt and get on with improving his game. That and he would be less likely to get sent of in a big european game where it would matter more than in the league.

Robbie keane could do with a couple of red cards to put manners on him as well.

[ 24.03.2008, 12:09: Message edited by: and I am the life ]

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC