This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Man Utd vs Liverpool (Page 21)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Man Utd vs Liverpool
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What overreaction? Can we get it clear that a referee need not accept being told to fuck off by a bunch of moronic millionaire kids. If these players behaved like they do on the pitch off it, they'd probably all run around with black eyes and broken noses.

The question really is why referees accept that kind of abuse. An overreaction would be if they pulled out not a bit of coloured plastic, but a gun and shoot the player who has just told him to fuck off. Not booking an abusive player seems to be an underreaction.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toro thinks this episode is an outrage because it affects Liverpool. No other reason.

[ 25.03.2008, 15:55: Message edited by: Hieronymus Bosch ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With respect, HB, that is total and utter bollocks, and you have givcen not a shred of evidence for the repeated assertion.

In any case, even if it were true, it wouldn't make any difference to the merits (or otherwise) of my case. It's just an irrelevant swipe.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
An overreaction would be if they pulled out not a bit of coloured plastic, but a gun and shoot the player who has just told him to fuck off.
Er, that's like saying "stabbing Stephen Lawrence isn't murder, killing six million jews is murder."
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No it isn't.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

He's saying "X isn't Y, because Z is an even more egregous example of Y". It's clearly fallacious.
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not bollocks. A Liverpool player gets a red card for repeatedly and blatantly acting like a total prick, and you have subsequently tied yourself in all kinds of knots to try to shift the blame onto the referee instead of the man who was actually responsible.

You'd be better off asking yourself why Rafa Benitez has had eight attempts to land a glove on Man United in the league and failed to do it every single time, or why it is now the best part of seven years since Steven Gerrard had a good game against that same team.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

quote:
You'd be better off asking yourself why Rafa Benitez has had eight attempts to land a glove on Man United in the league and failed to do it every single time, or why it is now the best part of seven years since Steven Gerrard had a good game against that same team.
Why? How would doing that be relevant to any point that I've actually made?

And if I'm so one-eyed pro-Liverpool in all of this, how come I seem to think the Ferdinand card was far harsher than most Man Utd fans?

Nothing I've said at any point in my criticism of Bennett has rested on my being a Liverpool fan. And even if it did, it would neither strengthen nor weaken my criticisms.

Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With respect, Toro, you are all over the place on this thread.

Your case seems to be that Bennet over-reacted somewhat (although it seemed to be a much stronger claim earlier in the thread, since when you look to have backtracked a bit). But for this to be the case, his actions would have to either be in some way disproportionate in relation to the offence committed, or out of the ordinary with regards to normal refereeing standards.

But both of these things have been shown to be untrue by numerous posters (indeed, with regards to the former, you yourself have admitted that Mascherano's behaviour was unacceptable) and you don't appear to have offered any evidence at all to the contrary.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

Well firstly, that sounds like a pretty coherent position you're describing. I won't quibble with it, but I can't see how it amounts to being "all over the place".

Secondly, how have they been shown to be untrue? I said that Mascherano's behaviour was moronic, but that doesn't mean I thought that card was reasonable. Let alone his previous one, the one for Torres, or the one for Ferdinand. Now, numerous posters have pointed to individual cases of players being cautioned for serious dissent. But to sustain the case that Bennett's refereeing was proportionate, they would have to show examples of three or four cards for dissent being issued in a single game. Nobody has done so.

statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, well. Why didn't you say so when I asked what you'd accept? I'm up for trying that. But it'll have to wait until later or tomorrow unless somebody else fancies taking it up in the meantime.
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

Er, this was my answer to your query;

quote:
Jesus. Evidence that it was incorrect. Evidence that it was routine for referees to hand out three or four cards to players, including to people who have just been fouled, or have made what looks like being a clearance. That isn't an invitation to argue the merits of those cards, by the way.

Can you not read, or something? You even quoted and answered the other part of the same post, so I'm guessing it was wilful evasion.
NotThatDuncan
Member # 1381

- posted      Profile for NotThatDuncan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is pretty much the poster child for persistent dissent. And they didn't even include all of the bitching from Mascherano.

Of course it's unusual to get a second yellow card for dissent. It's actually quite rare. But this doesn't mean Mascherano is some sort of freakish exception, just that players with a minimum om sense will tend to shut up after their first yellow.

Posts: 135 | From: A State of Denial | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, here's a couple to start us off. The first comes from February this year:

quote:
There were seven United bookings for a variety of offences although those for Ronaldo and Edwin Van der Sar (both dissent) and Rooney (diving) were spot on.
Spurs 1 Man U 1, February 2008

Only two, I'll grant you, but very recent and a third yellow for diving thrown in for good measure.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/article3400274.ece

And here's another:

quote:
But a blistering match was marred by repeated scenes of dissent from Manchester United players that earned yellow cards for Keane, Jaap Stam and Andy Cole.
Newcastle 3 Man U 0, February 2000

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_carling_premiership/640508.stm

Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC