This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Man Utd vs Liverpool (Page 23)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Man Utd vs Liverpool
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So no matter how Liverpool's players behaved or said two cards for dissent is crazy?

Yeah, exactly. It's not like we're talk about some ludicrous amount here, is it? It seems utterly standard, especially for a game between bitter rivals.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, NtD, I don't mean that. Nor have I said anything that can be construed as meaning that.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotThatDuncan
Member # 1381

- posted      Profile for NotThatDuncan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you're using the number of cautions for dissent as a measure of the referee's ability and challenging everyone to produce examples with a similar frequency. Normally when discussing the actions of a referee we debate whether these cautions are reasonable, not just how many there's been.
Posts: 135 | From: A State of Denial | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotThatDuncan
Member # 1381

- posted      Profile for NotThatDuncan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, there's usually one or two straight red cards for dissent each season. Does this make Bennett's cautions of Torres and Mascherano on Sunday more or less crazy?
Posts: 135 | From: A State of Denial | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Doesn't really help rebutt my claim that he's a loose cannon out of step with everyone else then, does it?
Jesus, toro, I've addressed that at least twice ages ago.

Everybody knows that Bennett is less likely to tolerate repeated dissent than other referees. statto's examples, upon which you jumped, shows that Bennett is consistent and predictable. It was amiss of Liverpool's manager and captain not to have impressed upon their players how Bennett applies the rules concerning dissent, and counsel them to act accordingly.

Isn't it a bit like your teachers in school? You knew that you wouldn't get away with as much with your strict maths teacher as you did with your more kicked back arts teacher, and if you were clever, you'd adapt your behaviour accordingly.

Whether Bennett's application of the rules strike you as reasonable or not is immaterial. His decisions to book Torres, Mascherano and Ferdinand were entirely within the laws of the game. Earlier you insisted that the rules should be applied consistently. On Sunday they were. Bennett's handling of situations of repeated dissent were consistent with the way tends to handle them.

Indeed, you ought to praise him for not being so "overzealous" as to sent Mascherano off earlier, or to book Torres earlier (as I had thought he might). If anything, Bennett showed great restraint with these two.

We've spent too long on this. I think I rest my case with this.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why didn't bennett book steven gerrard for telling him "you're taking the fucking piss"?
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Repeat dissent"
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or whatever the fucking term is.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
why didn't bennett book steven gerrard for telling him "you're taking the fucking piss"?
Because he knew that this would have added another 40 pages to this thread.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

He probably should have, but perhaps he realised that three bookings in one game for dissent would simply be unprecedented and incredible and everyone would have had to conclude that he'd simply lost the plot.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC