This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The 'here's where the season ends' thread, 07-08 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The 'here's where the season ends' thread, 07-08
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One for everyone to sign into when their team's season reaches welcome safety/maddening mid-table nothingness.

I suppose I should be grateful, after the stresses and strains of the past two seasons' run-ins, to have a few non-games to enjoy as Orient's campaign draws to a close, but I'm actually royally fucked off. Avoiding the drop was always the priority in August, but having got ourselves into a challenging position in the autumn, we decided not to build on it and give it a go, but to put our feet up and switch off, on and off the pitch. We've been fucking woeful throughout 2008 and if we finish 16th it'll be no more than we deserve. We're not gonna get as good a chance as we did this season very often.

Deposit your comparable expressions of relief/dismay/ambition-free listlessness here.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob_afcb
Member # 623

- posted      Profile for Rob_afcb         Edit/Delete Post 
A ten point deduction plus an inability to compete means that our season is almost over.

Depressed rather than relieved, and not even able to look forward with confidence to next year.

Posts: 233 | From: In All Departments | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bournemouth fan Rob?

*edit sorry, bit of an obvious question.

[ 22.03.2008, 20:08: Message edited by: gerontophile ]

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could have started this thread about mid-January (but I didn't).
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Rob said.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sidjames
Member # 1086

- posted      Profile for sidjames     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're being a bit harsh, E10. To be within touching distance of the play-offs for much of the season with, until recently, Stuart Nelson in goal is some achievement.

Compare your nothingness with Brentford's. We've been building for next season since Christmas. The initial boost of Butcher's sacking has given way to the realisation that we are a very average, midtable Division 4 team and, as if to emphasise that fact, we've remained in precisely 12th position for a couple of months now. Even a run of 6 defeats in 7 games or Rotherham's 10 point deduction couldn't dislodge us from 12th position.

The mediocrity and boredom has been so overwhelming I couldn't even be bothered to visit new grounds at Accrington and Morecambe.

Posts: 690 | From: a different hemisphere | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Point of order, if you're still in "a relegation battle" then your season isn't over (even if you have no real chance of staying up).

Your season is over when whatever happens in the remaining games you're going to be mid-table with no threat of relegation, promotion or any serious play-offs hopes.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Played 39 with 52 points sitting in 13th place - it's sit back and have a cigar time for us.

Good old inconsistency - you won't go up and you won't go down if you're inconsistent.

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob_afcb
Member # 623

- posted      Profile for Rob_afcb         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I'd love HC to be correct, I'm staring at the Division 3 table, and it certainly isn't telling me that theres all to play for.
Posts: 233 | From: In All Departments | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KimCasey
Member # 254

- posted      Profile for KimCasey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a Kidderminster fan, I'm "delighted" to claim ownership of the mid-table mantle, too.

Off to Rushden at home today - feel that 16th vs 14th place tension.

Posts: 757 | From: Lake Geneva to the Finland Station | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glass half empty
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for glass half empty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Division 2 where the twin evils of hope and despair have plagued our path all season, I had resigned myself to the battle, girded my loins, gritted my teeth and started identifying the fixtures where we might pick up the points necessary to ensure our survival.

This was about 3 weeks ago, then, some bastard on a Blades forum posted about his ridiculous vision that we would go undefeated to the end of the season and sneak into the last play-off place. Since then we have won four on the trot. Now, I know it's ridiculous, I've worked out that we need to win 14 matches on the bounce to get promoted, well possibly, we could draw a play-off semi-final.

Additionally, we need loads of other dodgy results to go our way and of course every other bugger has agreed to go along with this ludicrous scheme for the time being, losing banker wins and playing out draws for fun.

Now the sooner we lose a game and put this cruel hoax to bed once and for all, the better. It's an odd thing, but I think I cope better with the despair than I do with the hope. Hope really screws you up, the time wasted staring at fixtures and league tables, form guides, blogs and forums; the unbudgeted money and time spent going to matches you hadn't planned to; and all the time you know it's bound to fail. Fuck off hope.

Posts: 79 | From: Evesham | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nuts 'n Gum
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for Nuts 'n Gum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Villa are in danger of appearing in this thread after next week.
So much promise in January, to mediocrity in March.

No clean sheet since November.

Playing Zat Knight at centre back.

Scott Carson's confidence is shot. Agbonlahor and Young are knackered.

Next game? Manchester United, away.

Posts: 1220 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike toreno
Member # 1509

- posted      Profile for mike toreno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our season was over in early February after we were thumped by Celtic in the cup. Even without their 10 point deduction Gretna were never going to catch us. As I descibed it on the Scottish League thread this season has been a jobby wrapped in shite, not even a 4-1 win can get me excited as it essentially meant fuck all.
Posts: 513 | From: a gosh-forsaken heckhole | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our season finished the week before last when we were knocked out of the UEFA cup.
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disappointing. We started out with a strong squad and lots of optimism, stumbled, started to look good, lost our better players to injury or to other clubs, and have not recovered.

Still, there's always next season.

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC