This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The "even Welsh people don't give a toss" Welsh pyramid thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The "even Welsh people don't give a toss" Welsh pyramid thread
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or an excuse to mention the fact that Barry Town, after several years of freefall, ground exile and near-collapse, are finally turning the corner and beginning the climb back to the top.

We're currently clear at the top of MacWhirters Welsh League Div 2, which is effectively the third rung of the Welsh pyramid, with nine games to go. Not quite nailed on for promotion yet, but as long as we don't put our feet up and have a cigar for such tricky fixtures as home to UWIC and away to Llanwern and the romantically-named Garden Village, we should do it.

Meaning that next season we'll be mixing it with giants like Cwmbran Town, Newport YMCA, Caerleon, Bridgend Town and Taffs Well. (How long before we're once again doing battle with the likes of Porto, Dinamo Kiev, Aberdeen and Zalgiris Vilnius?)

I do worry about whether the club's ambitions match its handful of supporters' dreams for it. The official website is still an "under construction" skeleton, and a few weeks ago I attempted to add the club's Myspace (a whopping 65 friends at present) and still haven't been accepted...

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bumped into some eastleigh fans at membury services last night who were running around topless after beating the mighty newport FC away.

nothing to do with your thread SR, just thought i would throw it in

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet
Member # 6498

- posted      Profile for Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really hope Barry will be back in the WPL in the not too distant future. It's still a bit odd not having Barry in the league, not to mention a great stadium, which is UEFA Compliant.

I might hijack your thread Spearmint, to point out the FAW proposals for a 10 team Premier League, in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.welsh-premier.com/news.php?ID=6508

Posts: 714 | From: Anglesey, North Wales | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christ. Looks like we've got our very own Scudamore. Surely the whole reason that the Scots moved away from teams playing each other four times a season was that supporters found it fucking boring? But this guy thinks he knows better.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

quote:
"The league has reached a plateau and we need radical rebranding to hopefully improve the quality of the product."
Fucking hell. Do you kiss your mother with that mouth, Mr Deakin?

quote:
Deakin said clubs would also have to meet the stricter domestic licensing criteria on issues such as facilities, administration and even crowd size to get into the top division.
CROWD SIZE? What the fuck?

quote:
"We want crowds of five or 600 to be the norm, not a rarity."
Yeah, well I want a space rocket made out of gold. So?
Member # 6498

- posted      Profile for Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's obvious some teams have no business in the league, seeing they can hardly muster over 100 for Home games. Surely that makes sense?
Posts: 714 | From: Anglesey, North Wales | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely the whole reason that the Scots moved away from teams playing each other four times a season was that supporters found it fucking boring?

The vast majority of Scottish clubs still play all their opponents four times a season. The sole exception is in the SPL, where they play five of their opponents four times and the others three times.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

quote:
Well, it's obvious some teams have no business in the league, seeing they can hardly muster over 100 for Home games. Surely that makes sense?
Not sure if you're pulling my leg there, Aldo, but I just think that the teams that gain the most points ought to be placed higher than teams that win fewer points, and anything else is perverted.
Member # 6498

It's my personal hope that it works itself out on it's own, and the bigger clubs end up in the top league. But Northern Ireland and the Republic brought in similar licensing systems.

The top 10 in the current WPL would work out ok to be honest.

[ 23.03.2008, 18:02: Message edited by: Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet ]

Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not sure if you're pulling my leg there, Aldo, but I just think that the teams that gain the most points ought to be placed higher than teams that win fewer points, and anything else is perverted.
Spot on - it's called a football league not a crowd size league. However it can't be too long before Cefn Druids and Airbus Broughton - both of whom have had more than one two-figure crowd this season - are relegated.

I quite like the idea of a two tier Welsh Prem, but would like to see 12, maybe 14 clubs in each division. However, I doubt there are enough clubs who want to be involved - take the Welsh League (South) - of the top 8 teams, only one of them wants to be promoted.

Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6498

I think it would be more cost effective for the tier 2 league/s (if it comes to fruition) to be 2 regional ones. Otherwise, the travelling costs will be as large as they are now, without the bigger crowds that games against TNS, Llanelli etc usually provide.

The whole system needs a revamp really, at present, The Cymru Alliance has no relation to the WPL, likewise in South Wales.

Member # 6498

quote:
I quite like the idea of a two tier Welsh Prem, but would like to see 12, maybe 14 clubs in each division.
How many times a season would they play each other then? 3?
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, twice - the league cup could be played on a Saturday too to fill up the schedules
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6498

That's another idea, although I would prefer to see the league cup start in early July to help the Euro Qualifiers.
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without the recusants (is that the right word), the Welsh league is only ever going to be able to shuffle the deckchairs. In those circumstances, I'd say that going for a US style conference system with 2 (north and south) conferences, and then home and away play-offs at the end of the season is the best way to go.

Wales' geography militates against a national league - as far as I know football is the only sport that tries it, and that system would minimise travel, maximise derby matches but yet still find a best team within the Welsh system.

SR and Jorge are both entirely right that as long as teams keep winning matches, even if the only person watching is the manager's mum, then they should be able to stay in the top division.

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC