This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » The "even Welsh people don't give a toss" Welsh pyramid thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The "even Welsh people don't give a toss" Welsh pyramid thread
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
SR and Jorge are both entirely right that as long as teams keep winning matches, even if the only person watching is the manager's mum, then they should be able to stay in the top division.
Hah, I actually watched a Barry Town match once (and wrote it up on here, in fact) where there were fewer females in the stand than there were players on the pitch. So, assuming that all eleven Barry players were hetero and attached, even their own WAGs (wow, can you apply the term 'WAG' to third-tier Welsh football?) couldn't be bothered to turn up.

Mind you, it was the last shopping Saturday before Christmas.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet
Member # 6498

- posted      Profile for Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Without the recusants (is that the right word), the Welsh league is only ever going to be able to shuffle the deckchairs. In those circumstances, I'd say that going for a US style conference system with 2 (north and south) conferences, and then home and away play-offs at the end of the season is the best way to go.
I understand what you mean, but in MLS they play every team, both East and West conference. The conferences only mean a Western team will play an Eastern Team in the MLS Cup Final. Would you suggest splitting the WPL in two then? i.e Rhyl would only face Llanelli in an end of season playoff.
Posts: 714 | From: Anglesey, North Wales | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking more of an American Football style scenario.

Perhaps, 2 conferences of 10 sides, where each team plays all the teams in its conference home and away, and 1 game against each team in the other conference, alternating home and away.

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not sure if you're pulling my leg there, Aldo, but I just think that the teams that gain the most points ought to be placed higher than teams that win fewer points, and anything else is perverted.
I have no business on here as Porthcawl Town are languishing in mid-table obscurity in Division 3 (as usual) but you're spot on there, SR. Teams win games, move up the table, hopefully get promoted, Teams lose games, move down the table, get relagated. Is there any other way for football to work.

You build grounds around potential crowds once you move into a certain division, you don't build the crowds for the division.

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that the nonsense of Game 39 was rightly savaged for producing an asymmetrical fixture list I am surprised similar schemes are being suggested or endorsed (such as the ridiculous SPL system) here.

Any league that doesn't involve playing every other team in it twice, once home and once away, is bogus. I'm not even sure I exclude the Football League play-off system from that but at least it has a full balanced league calender before indulging in it's extra games.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are plenty of successful asymetrical tournaments (the 6 nations for instance). Game 39 is patently unfair as each team has a different schedule. But here each team in each conference would have an almost identical fixture-list (and it would be identical over 2 seasons).
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take your point about the 6 Nations beig asymmetrical in terms of home and away fixtures but a) it's rugby, they do things wierdly there b) it's not really a league and c) even then it maintains the principle that every team plays every opponent the same number of times a season which isn't the case with any of the ideas above, is it?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

They'd play every team they are in direct competition with twice, home and away.

Of course the system would work if there were only play-off games between the conferences at the end of the season. But even though that would cut down on travel, I can understand why if it splits existing rivalries clubs might want to maintain some North vs South games during the league season.

Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, I'm not endorsing the Scottish system, Harry. I'm just pointing out that they moved away from 4 meetings a season. Didn't move far enough, though.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6498

- posted      Profile for Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with a 2 conference system is that it will end up with the same amount of teams as there are now. The whole idea is less teams in the top division, so that the little money that trickles in, goes 2x further.

Otherwise though, the crowds would increase for everyone as I would probably hardly miss a Bangor game if they played 90% of the time in North Wales. I don't do the journeys south, as they are long and arduous.

The one off south wales trips to play Llanelli or whoever in the playoff would also generate a sizeable travelling crowd, so could work really.

Posts: 714 | From: Anglesey, North Wales | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

quote:
They'd play every team they are in direct competition with twice, home and away.
And, if I read you correctly, some other teams as well but only once?

Sorry, it's madness.

Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Harry points out, the play-offs themselves are money-making madness really, it's just that we have all got used to them and enough of us have seen our clubs promoted by them
Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mnb098mnb
Member # 1484

- posted      Profile for mnb098mnb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting comments from Ken McKenna this week saying that the priority for the Welsh Premier should be to improve the quality of pitches, thus encouraging better football and improving the overall "product".

Putting aside the use of the Scudamore-esque "product" with reference to a league, I can't decide whether he is a genius or a madman.

Posts: 431 | From: Bracknell | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6498

McKenna is spot on. The quality of pitches in the league varies from good, and well kept, to piss poor bog heaps. Anyone who watched the highlights of Neath v TNS two weeks ago, would have been excused for assuming they were watching a Park's game. I'm not a totalitarian Football purist, per se, and see nothing wrong with FIFA standard Artificial pitches like TNS have done at Park Hall. If it's 100% all season long, and gets people paying to play on it when games aren't on, what's the problem?
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quality of Welsh league pitches are Wembley-esque in comparison with the Olympic Stadium in Sarajevo - Brian Flynn disappeared from view when he stepped in a puddle during the u21s training there last night.
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC