This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » How long do you stay a kid for?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long do you stay a kid for?
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're a shortarse, it seems the answer is "forever".

In Nick Townsend's column in yesterday's Independent On Sunday, mainly about the question of whether David Beckham should be given a 100th cap, he wrote this:

quote:
Though Capello is on a voyage of discovery, not veneration of the past, and it could be concluded that the England manager should be focusing on the potential of David Bentley, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Theo Walcott, he is in no way indulging the former England captain and allowing him to stow away in the hold for old time's sake. Perish the thought.
Shaun Wright-Phillips is 26, has won 19 caps for England (and been involved in the squad on several more occasions), earning his first back in 2004, and has scored 4 goals.

Where does this perception come from that Wright-Phillips is still an up-and-coming youngster? Is it because he's the same height as the average junior school kid?

It reminds me of the time (which I also wrote about on here, I seem to recall) when John Motson stopped just short of nipping the then 23-year-old Lee Hendrie's cheeks and offering him a bag of sweets in a post-match interview, presumably because Hendrie has the face of a cutesy kid from a TV commercial.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SamLKelly
Member # 6163

- posted      Profile for SamLKelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fairness, his stepdad had a late blossoming of his career (SWP's stepdad that is, not Motty's or Lee Hendrie's)... perhaps he's just expecting SWP to go the same way...
Posts: 355 | From: Exiled in North Somerset | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder which other players have been perceived as young 'uns for the longest time. Youngmichael Owen for starters, obviously.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Shadrak
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Mr Shadrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an article in an early WSC about players who remained "promising youngsters" for their entire career. Vince Hilaire was one, and Gary Owen (helped by his holding the record for under 21 caps without ever playing for the full England team).

Until recently Peter Taylor was seen as a promising young manager too, although he's now well into his 50s. Brian Kidd would still be seen like that if he ever went back into management although he's nearly 60.

Posts: 916 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole thing's a bit confusing to me. I was amazed at how young Owen was when he signed for us. Kieron Dyer is older!

Its obviously an image problem he's working on; the first thing to go was the shit bowl-job haircut. Now he's got crap stubble. He should insist people call him 'Mike'.

Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder which other players have been perceived as young 'uns for the longest time. Youngmichael Owen for starters, obviously.
There are quite a few I still perceive as such even though they've retired from playing.

Dennis Wise, I guess. Perhaps because, at the age of 41, he still seems to look and behave like an ASBO teenager. Good going for an 'executive director' (sic). And there are others who can't shake off the 'fourth form' image, like Graeme LeSaux and Ole Gunnar.

I'd give the Peter Pan Award to Steve Perryman, though...

Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're as young as you feel:
 -
Eeeeeh, the light in his eyes is back..

Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was shortlisted for young player of the year as a 24 year old.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the baby-faced assassin

[ 24.03.2008, 15:20: Message edited by: Bored Of The Dance ]

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that Chris Hughton behind the Messiah?
Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry Phelan won the FAI Young Player of the Year Award in either 1992 or 1993. He was almost 26 at the time.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Isn't there an official cut-off for awards like that? Or did he win it by default because all the other ROI players were in their thirties?
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a pretty good national team at the time (1992/93) but almost every player in the squad, with the exceptions of Phelan, Roy Keane and Steve Staunton, was aged 27 or older.

In fairness to Phelan, he had played brilliantly in two big qualifying games in Copenhagen and Seville just before the voting took place.

[ 25.03.2008, 11:13: Message edited by: Hieronymus Bosch ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was quite funny watching KK on MOTD - when they scored, he tried to squirt the water out of the above bottle in celebration, only to find that it wasn't open and he had to unscrew it first - the spontaneity of the act was kinda lost and made funny viewing - I expect it will make Soccer AM on Saturday...
Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC