Just over 400 games for Southampton, a good few of them nightmares, but many of them remarkable.
* He used to have funny hair.
* He only ever scored two goals for Saints, both against teams managed by Dave Jones. He looked really surprised both times (Lundekvam, I mean, although now you come to mention it...)
* He was really good when playing with Dean Richards and Michael Svennson.
* He smokes lots of fags.
* Hoddle played him as a winger once. He was hilariously shit.
* During a bad spell of form, he was beaten up in a takeaway by some of our own fans.
* He scored Norway's 1,000 international goal. I haven't seen it, but I bet he looked really surprised.
* He should have been sent off in the first minute of the 2003 FA Cup Final.
* He could score own goals with either foot, or his head.
My fondest personal memory was watching Saints play Watford years back, when Claus was presented with an open goal. He looked so sweetly baffled, hesitating for several seconds before rolling the ball slowly to the feet of a returning Alec Chamberlain.
Poor Claus. It's been months and months now that every fortnight, I turn to Captain's Chat with Claus to read, alternately 'I'll be back in two weeks, the ankle is much better' and 'Oh dear, the ankle is much worse, but guess what? I get to spend Christmas and New Year in Bergen with the wife and kids. Hahahaha. Ooops, I mean, I'm devastated to be missing out on playing Coventry.'
A sad day for Saints all round, what with Bradley and Nathan getting arrested. That's leaving out the whole 'being rubbish' thing.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006
| IP: Logged |
quote: * He scored Norway's 1,000 international goal. I haven't seen it, but I bet he looked really surprised.
He sure did. It was scored from about a yard out, with his stomach.
My most vivid memory of Claus was back before he went to England. He was a young and promising defender playing for Brann, at a time when their biggest rivals Rosenborg were completely dominating.
In 1996, Brann travelled to Trondheim to play Rosenborg, and they got wallopped ten nil. It was a complete and utter humiliation, and at five or six down young Claus clearly felt he had been mocked enough so he ploughed down Harald Brattbakk in what was more a statement than a foul. "Please send me off, ref".