This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Football » Teams Named After... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Teams Named After...
Furtho
Member # 902

- posted      Profile for Furtho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... specific natural geographical features: a nearby mountain, lake, river or what have you. Nicknames would also be acceptable.

My suspicion is that there are surprisingly few of them, in contrast with representations of local industry via names like Stahl Eisenhuttenstadt or nicknames such as The Hatters. Me being me, I can think of a small number of Japanese examples - but Albanian side Tomori Berat is about the only one in Europe that comes to mind (Tomori's a mountain overlooking the town of Berat). Surely there must be others?

Posts: 2913 | From: The Slow Lane | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
River Plate (both the Argentine and Uruguyan clubs).
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holyhead Mountain Rangers used to play in the Anglesey league.

As you were ...

Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Romanian first division team Ceahlaul Piatra Neamt are named after the Ceahlau mountain that overlooks the town of Piatra Neamt. Plus they should appeal to ursus:
 -

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aberystwyth means (in Welsh) 'mouth of the river Ystwyth', but that's the name of the town too, so does that count?
Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportinguista
Member # 1693

- posted      Profile for sportinguista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Betis is the Latin name for the river Guadalquivir.
Posts: 995 | From: my Valladolid exile | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erzegebirge Aue (the "Iron Ore Mountains")
Chernomorets ("Black Sea") in Bulgaria and Ukraine

There aren't lots, though.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clyde
Thames

Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Furtho
Member # 902

- posted      Profile for Furtho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jorge - no, sorry.

UA - there aren't, are there? I wonder why that might be. But let's wait to see if anyone chips in with any more examples.

Posts: 2913 | From: The Slow Lane | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belhaven
Member # 426

- posted      Profile for Belhaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ararat Yerevan is named after the Armenian mountain which today is in Turkey.

Dnepr Dnepropetovsk is named after River Dnepr.

Isn't Dukla a mountain in the Czech Republic?

Posts: 966 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ararat Yerevan in Armenia
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to Romania, and Ligue II Serie 1 (the second flight is divided into two regions) features three such teams:
Dunărea Galaţi
Dunărea Giurgiu

(Dunărea is the Romanian word for Danube)
and
Delta Tulcea
(Tulcea is on the Danube delta)

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

While Ligue II Serie 2 features Mureşul Deva , where the Mures is the river that flows through Deva
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

The Dukla turns out to be a mountain pass between Poland and what is now Slovakia, and was the site of major battles in both WWI and WWII.

Ad hoc reminds me of Danubio of Uruguay (and that is a very stylish badge up thread).

blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Central Coast Mariners?
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC