This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » New Order at Finsbury Park (revisited)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Order at Finsbury Park (revisited)
Ray O'Vac
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Ray O'Vac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what did we all make of it, then?

Having never seen New Order live before, I have to say I thought they were excellent. They belted through a selection of all their classics, played a fairly long set and seemed good humoured throughout. They even played quite a few Joy Division numbers, which was fantastic.

I have to say though that I was disappointed with the support bands. Air were poor - they just plodded on and on and it was a relief when they left the stage.

SFA were a real let-down. It was dull, it was raining and we were soaked through - a perfect time for them to play all their well-known hits, right? Wrong. They sat down, acoustic guitars at the ready, and played a few dull tunes, seemingly drawn from their most recent LP. No "Herman Loves Pauline", no "Demons", no "God! Show Me Magic!" - a real shame. I felt they misjudged the mood of the crowd completely.

Echo and the Bunnymen were patchy - excellent at times (Lips Like Sugar) but not soo good at others (NOthing Lasts Forever - a real shame, as that track is a favourite of mine).

And as for The Cooper Temple Clause... they were just bizarre. I saw them pklay 3 tracks - 1 was excellent, the other 2 were just... well, weird isn't the word.

All in all though, it was a great day. I even bumped into SP, which was nice.

Posts: 401 | From: London on the Bosphorous | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A damned good day out for Matt P, JamesD (+ wife + friends), Karen and myself. I enjoyed the Bunnymen and especially New Order. The sounds wasn't so great at the start of New Order's set - I blame the blustery wind - but it got better and better as the gig went on.

SFA were okay, but then that's what I always think of them (I like some of their songs and not others), but Air were very disappointing. Absolutely dreadful in fact. Cooper Temple Clause sounded like they had one reasonable song, and the rest was shite - basically they are Oasis wannabes, it seems. Oasis circa their third and fourth albums, that is.

Finsbury Park is now wrecked, though - an absolute mudbath. It'll take a while to recover.

I've lost track - who is "The number 9"?

Oh, we also bumped into SP, which was nice.

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldfishboy
Member # 142

- posted      Profile for goldfishboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed it too. Four great bands in a row playing great sets (to my mind). How rare is that?

(I shan't spoil things by mentioning the Cooper Temple Clause.)

Had to keep pinching myself - yes I really am watching New Order. And yes they really do still sound this good.

Such a great day I wasn't even bothered about the weather. Strange how Bernie kept apologising for it every five minutes though.

Posts: 170 | From: here to eternity, without in-betweens | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imp
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for imp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finsbury Park is now wrecked, though - an absolute mudbath. It'll take a while to recover.

Well, never mind the local people who've had their park shittied up for the summer, as long as you all enjoyed hearing a formerly good band play their old hits while you got beered up.

Posts: 4427 | From: such great heights | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 149

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly not, Ian. FP actually looks pretty ragged all year round, meaning that after the regular gigs etc. it re-opens the next day without too much fuss.

It may have been rather better maintained when you lived here, I grant...

Posts: 2121 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray O'Vac
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Ray O'Vac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, never mind the local people who've had their park shittied up for the summer, as long as you all enjoyed hearing a formerly good band play their old hits while you got beered up." - Hic, cheers! Less of the "formerly" though, Ian....

I've just remembered, I also bumped into Horace Vosper on the way to Finsbury Park. Thanks for filling me in on the Turkey-Costa Rica game, Horace!

Posts: 401 | From: London on the Bosphorous | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carter The Unstoppable
Member # 129

- posted      Profile for Carter The Unstoppable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that the Pogues also played Finsbury the night before and with the rain the park didn't really stand much chance.

Vince Power will be happy though.

Having seen New Order 20 odd times, I still thought they were very good. They do seem to excel at these big outdoor venues these days.

Even though they played quite a few Joy Division tracks you really can't beat Temptation no matter how many times you've heard it before.

Though World in Motion was my personal favourite having never seen them play this live before on account of missing all their 'comeback' gigs in '98.

Posts: 78 | From: Londinium | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went home before New Order, due to sartotial saturation due to preposterous precipitation, and fear of trench foot.

Who did the rap on "World In Motion"?

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray O'Vac
Member # 136

The actor John Simms, apparently. I assumed it was just some roadie.
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Simm, who plays Bernard Sumner in 24 Hour Party People, I'd expect.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I missed 'World In Motion', 'cause i'd left by then but John Simms dueted with Bernie on 'Love Will Tear Us Apart', well you know not dueted as such, sort of yelled into the same mike.

I'd heard a rumour, possible via Simon, but I can't remember, that Ian Wright was going to do the rap.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The grey paw of Tardiness
Member # 120

- posted      Profile for The grey paw of Tardiness         Edit/Delete Post 
John Simms dueted on Digital, not Love will tear us apart!
Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC