This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Daft Punk vs Eminem (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Daft Punk vs Eminem
Melmoth the Wonderer
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Melmoth the Wonderer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the vocals of "Without Me" over "Da Funk" - possibly you've all heard this billions of times already, but i thought it was da bomb. the only way to listen to eminem.
Posts: 705 | From: langley park to memphis | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daft Punk vs Eminem is like cat shit vs dog shit.
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettle
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Kettle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the sort of flaky white dog shit no one's seen for about 15 years?

I've not heard it yet, Bollywood, but I'd expect it to sound pretty similar to the original.

Posts: 1130 | From: used as a function word to indicate a starting point of a physical movement | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bit dissapointing the new Eminem single isn't it? All the ingredients seem there, the devil-may-care bouncy rhythm, the quick fire sarcasm, but somehow it just doesn't have the charisma of old.

Daft Punk I'm not a fan of, so this bootleg effort just sounds rubbish.

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel sorry for ol' Em. Just like his predecessor Elvis, the thrill and novelty of a white performer existing comfortably in a black environment is wearing off. He'll be making crappy films with Tuesday Weld and Nancy Sinatra next, you mark my words.
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldfishboy
Member # 142

- posted      Profile for goldfishboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but as Derek says, it doesn't help that his records are becoming increasingly boring.
Posts: 170 | From: here to eternity, without in-betweens | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

Yeah, but that's Dre's fault, isn't it?
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can anyone not like Daft Punk? You people are perverts.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and you can hardly blame Dre. He only produced one of the tracks on The Eminem Show. If anything, you have to blame the lack of Dre.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Daft Punk, man. It's like having a vocoder installed in your ear so all you can hear is those AAAAAOOOOEEEEOOOO vocals over a whack beat.

Some great disco-sheeny moments in their discography- but surely the biggest one-trick pony in dance music history?

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

"a whack beat"?! Jesus H.

I'm riding that sexy robo-disco pony and I'm never getting off.

I quite like the idea of having a vocoder permanently installed in my ear, by the way.

Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

Thing is I really like disco simon, and disco should be so joyous that you never feel like a horse is being flogged. And that's what Daft Punk feels like- it makes you want something, anything, unexpected to happen- but they just keep slogging along.

Also it's a bit of an aesthetic dead end, although that's not neccesarily a criticism of The D'unk themselves.

S'pose if you installed a vocoder in your ear, you could link it up with one of those tube-in-the-mouth things that Peter Frampton and Dr. Dre used to use. That's true body-music.

Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

The thing is, I couldn't give a string bag of monkey nuts about dance music history. I'm a total hedonist, and Discovery is non-stop pure pleasure, a perfect POP album.

You see, I remember banging on about this when I reviewed Homework, way back when. I argued that the avant-garde is only useful in so far as it provides us with ace new noises and tricks for make great pop records with. And Daft Punk were never cutting edge, but they were close enough to it to magpie all the best bits and make great pop records.

Great pop is its own justification.

Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

Yeah, well put, I know what you mean.

I guess part of my hate is focused on the fact that I thought Discovery was a disappointment- although Homework was pretty good, Daft Punk's high point was the Stardust 'choon and they never repeated it.

I wasn't trying to get all dance-purist on yo' ass.

steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't totally dismiss Daft Punk Derek, but I wouldn't wanna agree with SR either.

There's two very different sides to Daft Punk, you got your techno Daft Punk, responsible for quality DP tunes like "Rollin' and a Scratchin'", "Alive" or Thomas Bangalter's f*cking awesome "Tracks on the Rocks" Vol 1 + 2.

However, you also got ya vocoder bollocks, responsible for killing house music dead with endless variations of "Music Sounds Better With you", the unfortunate thing was Daft Punk were responsible for a lot of them.

I haven't given up on them yet, but "Discovery" was a big disappointment in relation to the stuff Bangalter was putting out on his Roulé label and likewise Guy Emanuel on his Cyramede label.

I think they had a good idea, flogged it and should now do a runner.

As for Eminem, give me Snoop and the Jigga Man anyday.

edit: spelling

[ 25-06-2002, 16:20: Message edited by: steveeeeeeeee ]

Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC