This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » "I think that everyone looks better when they're sad"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "I think that everyone looks better when they're sad"
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just been listening to Kenickie’s At The Club for the first time in ages – years, probably. Bloody brilliant. They properly had that trashy intellectual glamour thing down, didn’t they? A touch of Suede; a dash of early Manics, a smidgeon of Blondie. Better than Pulp, Blur, St. Etienne and any other mid-Nineties indie chancers put together.

The lyrics on Acetone are beautiful ("As I spit my dying wish/you’re listening to something else"). And Punka is an all-time classic.

Every time I hear Lauren Laverne on the radio I wonder what happened. They coulda bin contenders, etc...

Edit: I see a certain Simon Price gets a ‘thank you’ on the sleevenotes.

[ 04-02-2004, 15:16: Message edited by: Ant ]

Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does a certain Taylor Parkes.

Brilliant band. Great times. Half of them are still good friends of mine.

Second album was a bit of a let-down, but still had some good bits.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright then...

Kenickie Top Thirteen

1. "Millionaire Sweeper"
2. "Acetone"
3. "Robot Song"
4. "Classy"
5. "I'm An Agent" (Numan cover)
6. "Come Out 2 Nite"
7. "Magnatron"
8. "Walrus"
9. "Spies"
10. "Something's Got To Give"
11. "PVC"
12. "How I Was Made"
13. "Can I Take You To The Cinema?"

(hidden extra 14th track: "Montrose Gimps It Up For Charity)

I was in one of their videos, you know. "Nightlife". Dodgy song, though.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wot no Punka, SR?

I also thought 60s Bitch and I Would Fix You from the (yeah, patchy) second album, deserved a place in the top 13.

Why did they split up?

Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keli R
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Keli R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marie was always my favorite member of the band, but if ever there were a female voice perfect for conveying heartbreak and sadness, it belonged to Lauren Laverne - her vocal on It Started With A Kiss is astonishing. Even more amazing was that the same voice could convey great hope (e.g. Mint Royale's Don't Falter). Sadly missed.

Related top 10:

1) Come Out 2 Nite
2) Punka
3) It Started With A Kiss
4) Can I Take U 2 The Cinema?
5) Millionaire Sweeper
6) In Your Car
7) Santa Poca's Dream (by Rosita)
8) Acetone
9) Classy
10) Don't Falter (by Mint Royale feat. Lauren Laverne)

[ 04-02-2004, 15:53: Message edited by: Keli R ]

Posts: 1114 | From: Where the streets have two names | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I think that everyone looks better when they're sad"
quote:
So does a certain Taylor Parkes.
I think that's probably true. There was that OTF photo of him where he looked pretty cool, but someone note "it looked like his cat had died".
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

I actually meant that a certain Taylor Parkes gets a mention on the sleeve. And he could probably tell you more than I could about the reasons for the split (when he gets around to logging back on with his new computer), although it's probably unfair to do so in public, for a number of reasons.
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

quote:
Marie was always my favorite member of the band
Yeah, mine too.
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep seeing her at The Boogaloo music quiz...
Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

I keep meaning to go to that. Me and Marie used to be on the same team for a similar quiz down at Filthy's.

As a kind of open invitation, I wanna try the Monday night quiz at The Swimmer (great pub) off Holloway Road, if anyone's up for it.

TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it purely music, SR? My team used to play the Rosemary Branch quiz on a Monday (and usually win, he adds immodestly) but it's such a pain to get to. Could do with a Monday alternative...

There's also the massive one at the Stoke Newington Tup on a Tuesday, but the girl who hosts it once gave someone half a mark for saying 'Stuart Adams' was the singer of Big Country. So I stopped going. (Me, anal?)

Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Nah, it's general knowledge (including a music round).

But it's got the best jukebox I've seen in ages (Pixies, Trojan reggae, Patti Smith, etc), it sells all kinds of imported Belgian beers made out of chocolate and cherries, it has a great (and reasonably priced) gastropub - sorry! - kitchen, a heated canopied patio bit, it looks the way pubs probably looked in the 1920s, and it has a b&w photo of a really gay-looking swimming team on the wall.

It's a great discovery which has single-handedly made me feel better about living in this neighbourhood. I'm off there in half an hour to do an interview, in fact.

Wow, I've really been banging on, haven't I? Sorry. It's here anyway.

Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up for it--sounds great--but I don't think I can do this Monday.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be up for the pub quiz, SR. I love pub quizes me.
Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Alright, I'll pick a date some time in the middle-distance, and do the usual troop-rallying thing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC