This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » "Pop Tarts"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Pop Tarts"
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got this in my inbox:

quote:

Pop Tarts presents
American Idols Live!
Second Show Added

I am truly impressed by the sponsor/event combination. The show's English producers had to be behind it.

What a money making enterprise this Idol lark is, isn't it? Last week they showed the worst of the auditions from around the world. They have a version of Idol in countries I didn't even know existed.

[ 24.05.2005, 02:12: Message edited by: Femme Folle ]

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a bit of that. Mrs. Inca and I agreed that we felt uncomfortable with being asked to laugh at people from countries that we know nothing about. I mean, we can laugh at bad American signers, but we don't know anything about Kazakhstan's musical culture.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about that guy in the English one who knew the judges' home addresses? That was rather freakish.
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sussex Canary
Member # 1053

- posted      Profile for Sussex Canary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FF, be thankful you don't get the "Eurovision Song Contest" over there.
Makes "Pop Fame Academy Idol Whatever" look like a Royal command performance...

Posts: 185 | From: Polegate, East Sussex | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

I wish we did get it, so I would be able to participate in the interweb dissing of it while it was happening.
Sussex Canary
Member # 1053

- posted      Profile for Sussex Canary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, do you diss it after the event anyway? It sure as hell deserves as much dissing as we can all muster... and then some!
IMHO, of course...

Posts: 185 | From: Polegate, East Sussex | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

If I get a chance to watch it, I will make a point of coming back to this thread and dissing it for all I'm worth.
Femme Folle
Member # 25

Well, tonight's the big finale for this season of American Idol. I actually voted for the first time because the thought of having to listen to Carrie Underwood singing over the speakers at my supermarket was more than I could bear.

Actually, one thing I both disagree with and agree with at the same time is that the competition means nothing because most of the contestants who have made it to the top four or five of each season have got record deals anyway. So what's the point of the stupid contest? I would be very angry if I won the title of American Idol and got locked into the terms of their contract while I had to watch the people who lost to me get even better deals without winning.

I mean, it's good that they get discovered, but it makes the competition basically meaningless for the winner.

yeah, I'm putting waaaay too much thought into it, I know.

[ 26.05.2005, 00:56: Message edited by: Femme Folle ]

Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hoped, rather optimistically, that this thread might be about this band, who were actually pretty good.
Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

It is now! Have you heard them, Hofs, or do you just like their name?
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually own that album that I linked to above. I bought it when I read a mini-article about them in Melody Maker back in the day.

I've not listened to it for absolutely ages but I really enjoyed it at the time. I must give it another spin in the next day or two and see if it has stood the test of time.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

I tried to listen to the sound clips, but my RealPlayer is fucked. I hate it so much, it starts itself up, no matter how many times I go into msconfig and take it out of the start up setting, it always seems to find its way back in. It's evil.

So what are they like?

Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

From what I remember, sort of quirky, upbeat, girly indie pop, lent a certain charm by the singer's German accent. I wouldn't claim it was a classic or anything, but it has its moments. That Amazon review doesn't look to be too wide of the mark.

If you're especially curious, I'd be happy to burn a copy of it onto CD and post it out to you.

Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew them vaguely. Back in my music playing days we shared a gig with Olga, the keyboard player's, other band. She played drums for them, though.
Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

Thanks for the offer, Hofs. Could you post up a track or two on that You Send It thingy?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC