This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Hello Eighties

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello Eighties
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent the great OTF outage going on an organised 4x4 trip (well, a client junket really, very nice and great fun). On the way to Witsand, about 3 hours from Cape Town, I hitched a lift with one of the 4x4 owners, a middle aged Afrikaner bereft of much cool factor.

As I got into the car, I immediately noticed some familiar sounds playing on hos speakers. I soon realised that it was a song called "Midnight" by Yazoo, whose Upstairs at Eric's album I used to own and rather like back in the day. At some point it was stolen, and I never really missed it (or even noticed it was gone).

Well, "Midnight" was followed by "In My Room", with that great breaking glass sound. I hadn't heard the album in more than 20 years. Yet, I remembered virtually all the lyrics, the vocal inflections and the little synth loops.

It all sounds rather dated, but for its time, Upstairs at Eric's was a superb album. Favourite track, then as now: "Bad Connection" (a song imagine the Rhino might have a soft spot for).

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not dated in the slightest, G-Man. it's still the sound of the future. a 'lost' classic album and, despite fierce competition, plausibly Vince Clarke's finest moment.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smart guess, G-Man. I love Yazoo.

My favourite tunes by them would be the desolate "Nobody's Diary" and the joyous "Other Side Of Love" (both of them singles, but nobody ever seems to remember 'em).

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'You and Me Both' is probably the album i've never got round to buying for the longest. er, if that makes sense. what's 'Other Side Of Love'? a b-side?

oh, and let's all enjoy the brilliant sleeve of 'Upstairs at Eric's' one more time, too...

-

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good album. Better than "You & Me, Both", I seem to recall. I just never got a handle on Alison Moyet's vocal style - I far prefer Andy Bell's. I was a little disappointed when Vince Clarke "settled down" into Yazoo, as I was hoping he would keep up the eclecticism of the collaborations with various other artists, as on his previous (at the time) releases of "One Day" with Paul Quinn and under the name of The Assembly, with Feargal Sharkey. (Regular readers will know I've got a soft spot for Paul Quinn's voice in particular, though I don't actually have any of his early work with Bourgie Bourgie or as backing vocalist for Orange Juice.)

I thought this was going to be a "general 80s" thread at first, so I thought I might as well mention that - since it's my last day in my current job - I have worn my leather tie to work.- A leather tie that I was wearing 25 years ago and only recently unearthed when I was packing to move house. Here's some visual evidence from "back in the day":

-

Heh heh heh!!! "Mallens streak" an all! Oh dear!

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's with that Yaz shit, though? The name change seems to have come long after Clarke and Moyet parted ways. How did Yazoo become known as Yaz?
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

i think there was already a band in the US called Yazoo. Clive, you can't truthfully say that Vince Clarke 'settled down' into Yazoo - they only made two albums in as many years, and by 'You and Me Both' their relationship was decidedly strained.
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mumpo:

'Tis true. It just felt like an eternity while that Moyet woman was wailing on! ...And it was just a relative settling down, hence the quote marks. I actually had thought at the time that Erasure would only last 2 or 3 albums!

Arguably, they should!

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mumpo - no, "The Other Side Of Love" was an A-side. Reached No.13 in November 1982.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I preferred their anthem to toilet humour, Nobody's Diarrhoea. You can change the chapter, change the book, but the story remains the same. if ye take a look.
Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
evilc, I assume that bit at the front of your hair is bleached - otherwise, you have gone bald in a very strange fashion.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Furtho
Member # 902

- posted      Profile for Furtho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, great album and as Mumpo says, not dated in the slightest. In contrast with Erasure, obviously. Yazoo were far and away the best part of Vince Clarke's career - the magnificent 12" version of Situation being a case in point.
Posts: 2913 | From: The Slow Lane | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Auntie Beryl
Member # 1082

- posted      Profile for Auntie Beryl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Nobody's Diary" was the best Yazoo song, if you ask me.
Posts: 1450 | From: west by south | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC