This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Best song about a historical figure (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best song about a historical figure
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stop singing Rasputin at the moment. probably not the best ever example of the genre but a couple of nice bits:

Ra-ra-rasputin lover of the Russian queen
They put some poison into his wine
Ra-ra-rasputin lover of the Russian queen
He drank it all and said he was fine.

How about that for lightness of touch? Ma Baker is good as well. She left her husband because he wasn't tough enough.

I like the way Boney M songs get going from a couple of handclaps too.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boney M are brilliant.
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Queen Is Dead (if Moz was talking about Queen Victoria).
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I now have a "starry, starry night..." earworm.
Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does William Bell's classic "Tribute to a king" count? It was "about a man who lived good, but didn't live too long".

Just in case you are not familiar with the lyrical genius of this tune, I will regale you with them here.

Listen, people, listen
I`m gonna sing you a song
About a man who lived good
But didn`t live too long

He was born in Macon, Georgia
A poor boy without a dime
He found his way to Memphis
Singing These Arms Of Mine

(CHORUS)
Otis, Otis Redding was his name
Without his soulful singing
This old world won`t be the same

Now he traveled on to Frisco
New York and abroad
Everywhere he sang
The people would applaud

One day he left Georgia
Wisconsin bound
But he didn`t get to sing that night
The plane he was in went down

(CHORUS)

He was a soul music singer
The king of the Memphis sound
It makes me feel so sad
Cause now he ain`t around

He died with his guitar
Close to his hands
But his soul lives on today
In the heart of a million fans

Talking about
(CHORUS)

Otis, Otis Redding was his name
His picture oughta be hung
In the music hall of fame

Otis, he was known as Big O
Otis, we gonna miss him so
Otis, ooh, yeah,
We gonna miss him so

It's fucking ace.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7BB - surely "tsarry, tsarry night..."
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Mumpo.

Does Joni Mitchell's Amelia count, or isn't she historical yet?

Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amelia Fletcher?
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know Amelia is a medical term meaning "without limbs"?
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Shadrak
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Mr Shadrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The studio engineer on Boney M's hit records was also working for Stockhausen at the same time. He stiill gets royalties from Boney M sales - though possibly not many from Stockhausen.
Posts: 916 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ZZ Top-Jesus just left Chicago
Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy Potger
Member # 1315

- posted      Profile for Guy Potger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry and Gerry - "Kennedy Said"
Posts: 2834 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cookie
Member # 813

- posted      Profile for cookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry and Gerry, they bring back a few memories.

Thanks Guy, now got an earworm for Banking on Simon.

Posts: 363 | From: Glasgow | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Wedding Present, Kennedy. Not.
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loads of Bob songs should be up for this: Medgar Evers in 'Only a Pawn in Their Game', William Zantzinger and Hattie Carroll in 'The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll', 'John Wesley Hardin(g)', Rubin Carter in 'Hurricane', St Augustine in 'I Dreamed I saw St Augustine', etc. I could go on.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC