This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Spring is here (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Spring is here
Joe Wiz
Member # 197

- posted      Profile for Joe Wiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.She's Leaving Home
2.I Am the Walrus
3.A Day In The Life
4.Strawberry Fields Forever
5.I'll Be Back
6.Penny Lane
7.Long Long Long
8.For No One
9.Two Of Us
10.Tomorrow Never Knows

God, I love them so.

Posts: 656 | From: Essex | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, it's

1 Strawberry Fields Forever
2 You Never Give Me Your Money
3 A Day In The Life
4 Tomorrow Never Knows
5 I Am The Walrus
6 Rain
7 Long, Long, Long
8 The Inner Light
9 Twist And Shout
10 Day Tripper

And I too think Within You, Without You is a very fine piece of work indeed.

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1 Here comes the sun
2 Don't pass me by
3 I feel fine
4 Penny Lane
5 And your bird can sing
6 She's a woman
7 I am the walrus
8 Things we said today
9 Norwegian wood
10 Old brown shoe

Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Top 20 1962-66 era:

1. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
2. Girl
3. I've Just Seen A Face
4. Eleanor Rigby
5. Baby's In Black
6. In my Life
7. I Feel Fine
8. This Boy
9. Nowhere Man
10. If I Fell
11. Anytime At All
12. I Want To Hold Your Hand
13. Here There And Everywhere
14. It's Only Love
15. I'm A Loser
16. And I Love Her
17. You're Gonna Lose That Girl
18. I'm Only Sleeping
19. For No One
20. Norwegian Wood

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Top 20 1967-70 era:

1. Strawberry Fields
2. Don't Let Me Down
3. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
4. A Day In The Life
5. Here Comes The Sun
6. Baby You're A Rich Man
7. Let It Be
8. Penny Lane
9. All You Need Is Love
10. I'm So Tired
11. Two Of Us
12. Something
13. With The Little Help From My Friends
14. Revolution (fast version)
15. Helter Skelter
16. I Me Mine
17. Hello Goodbye
18. I Will
19. Getting Better
20. Across The Universe

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today

1. You Never Give Me Your Money
2. We Can Work It Out
3. I Feel Fine
4. Penny Lane
5. Eleanor Rigby
6. The Fool On The Hill
7. In My Life
8. Across The Universe
9. Here Comes The Sun
10. And I Love Her

Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
8 The Inner Light
Bloody hell. That one manages to be even more solipsistic, lazy and patronising then anything Lennon wrote even at his most self-absorbed. My second most hated Beatles track, that one. Terrible, addle-headed hippy garbage.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah go on then.

1. We Can Work It Out
2. Lovely Rita
3. Helter Skelter
4. A Day In The Life
5. Help!
6. The Night Before
7. In My Life
8. Strawberry Fields Forever
9. Good Morning Good Morning
10. She's Leaving Home
11. Dear Prudence
12. Long Long Long
13. Julia
14. Hey Bulldog
15. Baby You're A Rich Man
16. Hard Day's Night
17. She Loves You
18. She Says
19. Within You Without You
20. I Saw Her Standing There

Strange to hear the Rubber Soul hate from Purves; I love that album, but save my bile for Revolver. It used to be seen as underrated compared to Sergeant Peppers, but there's barely a less than incredible track on the latter.

As for Within You Without You, I just think it's amazingly out there, without for a moment being anything less than utterly compelling. Chunky tablas; swooping cellos, but above all the lyrics, which are so sincere yet fucking bonkers that it qualifies it as some sort of avant garde landmark. I really feel those lyrics about "people who gain the world and lose their soul... are you one of them?". He sounds like Yabby You talking about Fire and Brimstone.

McCartney vs Lennon, ying and yang, isn't it? I love Lennon's breathtaking bile on numbers 14 and 15 in my list; fully the equal of Dylan on Positively Fourth Street, but with weirder lyrics. Nonetheless, McCartney gets better and better as you get older- The Long And Winding Road is a very decent soul ballad.

Anyway, bloody great band.

[ 30.04.2006, 23:53: Message edited by: Diggedy Derek ]

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He sounds like Yabby You talking about Fire and Brimstone.
Wrong. He sounds like Venessa Feltz.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His voice in general is rather rubbish it is true. I Want To Tell You would be in that list if it wasn't for him sounding like a nervous school kid. JUST TELL HER FOR GODS SAKE!!!

One day at MVE we had a day where we played all the Beatles albums in reverse; that way, rather than sensing George's song writing blossoming like a flower, it's more like it slowly curls up like a hibernating hedgehog.

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

Anyway, I just find Rubber Soul to be full of dirges. They've lost the tight discipline of the beat years and haven't really discovered the extravagant scope and experimentation of the cocaine/acid years. It's the sound of a band throwing a ton of shit at the wall and hoping some of it sticks. It sounds as tired as they look on the cover of Beatles For Sale.

I've heard it described as the album where the Beatles discovered pot and Dylan, but that's just bollocks as they discovered pot ages ago and had Dylan in their pockets in a minimum of five songs off the previous album.

Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

Anyway, I'm generally quite disposed to depressive music, but the Beatles are a big exception to that for some reason. I should by rights like A Day In The Life more than anything else, but I just can't deny the incredible sauciness and verve of Lovely Rita.
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

Ah, now, I reckon you've got "I want to tell you" all wrong. I think it captures the stop-start nature of ones mind in an acid trip better than any other lyric ever. It's not some piece of faux-naive rubbish where he's playing the part of a blushing virgin like Lennon in "If I Fell". What it is is that he has something going on in his head but he's too fucked to formulate and express it. A proper acid moment.

After "Here Comes The Sun" and "It's All Too Much" it's the best thing Harrison ever wrote, I reckon.

Purves Grundy
Member # 698

Ah, now, I'm with you on Lovely Rita. That one-two-three of "Lovely Rita - Good Morning Good Morning - Sgt Pepper's (reprise)" blows me away and elevates the soul like nothing else. And then "A Day In The Life" is the perfect counterpoint.

An incredible bit of sequencing, that.

Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

What better than Long Long Long? I like that interpretation of it a lot, though; of course She Says She Says is the same thing I guess.

Perhaps you're right about Rubber Soul; they wanted it to be soul of some sort, of course, but they'd already kind of achieved that without thinking about it on Hard Day's Night, with things like Things We Said Today and You Can't Do That.

The Wire did this quite good feature once, about underrated but vitally important albums, and they put A Hard Day's Night on there, saying that it basically started garage rock. You can imagine kids in Ohio listening to Hard Day's Night, with them hollering "when I get home to you, I know the things that you do, will make me feel alright" and thinking yeah, that's what my teenage life is like.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC