This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Burial- Burial (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Burial- Burial
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the props, die grosse linke Hand. It was fun interviewing Kode 9. He's cool.

Listening a lot to this album plus Dubstep Allstars Volume 4, which has a wonderful Youngsta mix. Regarding Burial, the bits of melody on there are absolutely majestic, aren't they? "Night Bus" is sublime. Aside from that, it's terrific the way he (or she? I wonder who it is...) has distilled the gun-clicks and wandering melodies of Wiley's productions into a whole cinematic aesthetic. It's a fantastically tense record, although the very opposite of gothic; it's just a kind of existential emptiness expanded to epic sonic proportions.

It's impressive the way the CD seems not to have a narrative "arc", yet every bit sounds right and appropriate. It's not a story, it's a travelogue I guess.

PS I think this album will be on Bleep eventually. If you can't get down to Blackmarket, I reckon Boomkat would be the way to go.

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's up on Bleep now - I just downloaded it for £7.

It's a really good website - you can listen to all the tracks for free, so you know what you're getting.

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah cool, good to hear it's up there. It needs to reach a substantial audience.

NMB and Carcass- PMs for you.

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Wind-Up Bird
Member # 1176

- posted      Profile for Mr. Wind-Up Bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aye, it's a fantastic record. Album of the year so far for me, along with the Chosen Lords Analord collection.

I didn't realise that was you doing the Invisible Jukebox, Derek. Nice job with Kode9 but I particularly enjoyed the Kevin Martin one from a couple of months back.

Posts: 664 | From: The bottom of the well, holding a baseball bat | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey, this is a dark album.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey, Derek. So Kode 9 told you Burial is actually Philip Scho... sorry, private message, I forgot.

I love this record. But writing about it is like making music about ecphrasis.

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

Hold tight Gorden the Gopher.
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sarah Greene - your chest.

[ 10.07.2006, 15:58: Message edited by: Super Sharp Shooter ]

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lord Justice Horse wonders: is this Burial a he, a she or a they?
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

Probably.
Not me
Member # 65

Actually, a good friend of mine saw this thread yesterday and immediately emailed me asking who Burial really is.

The truth is, I haven't a clue your honour. Derek was just kindly offering to burn me a CD.

Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

Well, there's all sorts of rumours as to who it is. Kode 9 himself, Kevin Martin, El-B (who never released his semi-legendary album). I asked Kode 9, who runs the label, and he stated, very convincingly, that it's not him. He also said, understandably, that he quite likes all the controversy about it.

My gut feeling, which I'd happily tell Kode 9, is that it's him. Not that it matters, but you know, it's interesting (and of course, all this speculation would make it even cooler if if it was a total unknown, which after all was what Skream was a year or so ago....).

Several reasons for why I think this. Burial's interview sounded a bit unlikely to me, suggesting that the percussion programming was done just by editing and cut and pasting raw sound waves (ie without any sort of sequencing). This sounds unlikely to me, although it's surely possible.

Secondly, Kode 9 has always liked the idea of "Sonic Fictions", where the fiction is just as powerful as the truth. I too like this sort of thinking.

So I think Burial is a character of Kode 9. But who knows? Either way, there's a mystery, and it's a mysterious and delicious album.

"If Iím making a tune sitting in my room with a cup of tea, Iím not making a tune about sitting in my room with a cup of tea, itís like Iím out there somewhere. Thatís how I started listening to jungle, going through the lightless neighbourhoods, the districts"

[ 12.07.2006, 00:04: Message edited by: Diggedy Derek ]

Not me
Member # 65

My first thought on reading that interview was that Burial is actually an IDM-type person who has heard all the Rhythm and Sound/Basic Channel records Wire readers might reference, and maybe even read Kodwo Eshun's ideas about sonic fictions, but who's covering his tracks a little so he doesn't look like a soft dilettante and lose any footing with the dubstep crowd.

I'd imagine Kode 9 would more or less fall under that category (He put out and had a hand in producing some of those Horsepower Productions tracks didn't he? They're so deep-house luxurious and subtly tricksy, in a way in which 2-step and grime didn't seem to be back then). But that's not a criticism at all, and I don't know if anyone on or off the scene would really would care either way.

One of the things I love about the Burial album is that it's built on the same kind of intuitive, emotional leaps you got with Tricky, A Guy Called Gerald and a lot of the Wu solo albums in 94/95: that man-machine synthesis which produces such weirdly mulchy, ambiguous music that can sound elated and invincible one second and incredibly vulnerable the next. And you only seem to get that when a one-off man-mental has a strong, scene-led genre to fuck about with; the more metronomic, scientific approach of Warp acts has never had aything like that kind of impact on me.

gt3
Member # 1591

- posted      Profile for gt3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was introduced to this album at the weekend...At the time I didn't really get it. Have listened to it subsequently, on my own. Yes, it really does leave you feeling unsettled doesn't it? A wonderful piece of work. Not familiar with the titles yet, but one or two of the tracks are quite majestic.

Can I just say that some of the posts on this thread have been fantastic? Reminiscent of Melody Maker when I was a teenager. Thanks.

Posts: 1308 | From: the home of the Royal Artillery 1716 - 2007 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Referring to what Simon Reynolds said in his review, there's a Boards of Canada tune off 'Twoism' called 'Basefree' which whenever I hear it on my MP3 player I always presume it to be Burial.

Havn't listened to the album for a few weeks now, I must do so again. It's an autumn/winter album I think rather quite dark and moody.

Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC