This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Burial- Burial (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Burial- Burial
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's pretty weak to be honest- well not weak, but it's just electronica (or "IDM") dressed up as dubstep, which makes me angry. It's got too many lush textures, too much like jazz fusion. Where's the bass?

Yeah, something about that album annoyed me. It could have been done anytime between 1995 and now I think; it doesn't feel contemporary in any significant way to me.

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was referring to Boxcutter, there.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boxcutter is a bit of a floater though, isn't he? Jack of all trades, master of none almost, flitting to whatever is interesting him more at the moment.

I have never been drawn in by him really.

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i hate him too. which is why i loaded my evaluation of his 'album' with so much sarcasm.

Boxcutter, ha ha, you are so 1995 and i'm glad i merked you on the internet.

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It’s not so much that Mumpo – Boxcutter has been around for a good time and is well respected. The thing with most of dubstep is it is a lot of new people with a collective sound developing – all approaching from different angles with different signatures (DMZ’s Bass weight, Skream’s melodies, Burial’s crackle, Kode’s dark beat-less moods) and it’s all a bit new. The only known artist to seep in has been The Bug, and that has been very little shift from what he was already doing anyway as far as I saw it.

Boxcutter’s drifting toward dubstep is like the difference that is called between Tech-step, and almost excludes the likes of Vex’d and others from the FWD>> & DMZ collective. It is a really subtle difference. And Boxcutter has spent many years drifting in things – a bit Squarepusher almost in the way he rode a bit of two-step around the “GoPlastic” album. Nice to listen to, but never the real article (and maybe never intended to be so).

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

Mumpo- haha. Your chest.

I do like Vex'd a lot, though, who has a very identifiable nutcase/headcase sound. Very dark and claustrophobic, but thrillingly so.

evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this has been mentioned before, but...

http://barefiles.com/download.php?id=464

the mixed version of the album, to download.

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, that's getting checked out tonight.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

Ah, that was the preview from Dubstep Wars on the Breezeblock. It's a good mix that.
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - that Barefiles site has got a LOAD of mixes and stuff up there. Here's the main page:

http://www.barefiles.com/files.php

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

Barefiles is just amazing. Thanks for pointing that Burial set, Clive.

Well, well worth tracking down on there is Logan Sama's last show on Rinse FM. Search for "logans last"- no apostrophe- and you'll find it.

It's one of the greatest radio sets ever, with DJ Logan Sama doing his last ever pirate radio set before joining Rinse FM. For the occasion, he spent absolutely loads on dubplates, getting Vibes Kartel dubplates over grime rhythms, and he was joined in the studio by about 15-20 MCs. It's absolutely mental.

This set is pretty much the absolute pinacle of grime. Some shower-curtain business. Shankle my big toe!

evilC
Member # 1312

Derek:

As per what I said on a *ahem* related thread, can you point me in the direction of any more "spooky" Burial-style dubstep?

Also - what do you think of these artists/labels that I've heard namechecked:

Geiom
Ai
FZV

Cheers for any pointers you can offer. See you Monday at the cross-pollen-Nation?

[ 26.10.2006, 21:59: Message edited by: evilC ]

Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

Wish I could help more, really. The focus is still dancefloor orientated, which is not a bad thing at all.

I really like Ai, but he's kind of edgy and intense. I do highly recommend the Kode 9 album though, it's deeply strange. That's as much as I know about spooky dubstep, but I'll try and find out more.

I'll be right round the corner on Monday at a leaving do, but not sure if I can make it down. I may roll in in a comedy manner after a fe drinks.

jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DD, thanks so much for that Logan's Last Show link. I almost deleted it after the first 5 minutes from how much I wasn't feeling it, but at around the 15 minute mark it takes off like a rocket. I'm ready to take on Tyson after hearing those rhymes.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

Ah brill, I'm glad you like it. I think my favorite bits are 36 minutes, when Flow Dan goes- "You know my name and you know I love war / so if war come then I draw for the SLR". It's rocking. Then about 46 minutes when Rapid goes "hey! watch the way we profile". Bloody phenomenal that.

I have a fair chunk of it on DVD too. If I could work out how to convert it, I might bung it on You Tube.

I know that set like I know my favorite films.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC