This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » The Frames (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The Frames
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, our mates (from other bands)from even as close as Drogheda thought we were saying 'spade'.They were mightily releived to find out that we were in fact virulently anti-racist.
I can believe the rugger-bugger.

You'd say 'knacker;, the Glaswegians would say 'ned' and the Scousers would say 'scally.'

Tracksuit wearing fucking cunts.

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, gotcha. Cheers.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

Though quite how this applies when both parties ( as in the rugby incident)are wearing sports gear may raise a few questions.
Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Christy is the vocalist. Met him once and he seemed pleasant, though how he has managed to survive 25 years of putting half of Amsterdam into his forearms is anyone's guess.

The guitarist is a rather tedious individual who once almost sent me to sleep telling me about Aslan's then upcoming tour of Germany and Belgium. However, this picture may give a clue as to why I didn't tell him to fuck off and stop boring me.

-

[ 26.02.2008, 18:19: Message edited by: Lt. Frank Drebin ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

Meant to add for Shane that the etymology of spide comes from Spiderman.

Not sure aynone knows why, but it's common parlance among non-spides.

Drebin, yeah, they're pretty 80's-tastic dull.
You wonder how, or indeed why, people feel the need to reform/continue on with it and where they get the will from.
Every year they play to diminishing / more selective audiences.

Why don't you lot come up some night for a piss-up?

Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for the benefit of the criminally lazy this is a link to the kila site with connections to various myspace sites where you can decide how crusty your music taste is

http://www.kila.ie/

Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gypsydownunder
Member # 257

- posted      Profile for gypsydownunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Presumably Gypsydownunder's mention of the Virgin Prunes is some kind of a joke. Here are the Prunes playing a "song" on The Late Late Show in the late 1970s.
Absolutely not.
However I'll accept that in 2008 it's all a bit dated.

However 25 years ago there wasn't much happening in my part of the Northside, so for 3 bands - The Virgin Prunes, Aslan and U2 to suddenly become "big in Ireland" it was great.

I still remember where I was when U2 first appeared on Top Of The Pops, with Fire, it reached No38. The energy at their SFX Hall gigs (Christmas 81 or maybe 82) was brilliant. I went to London to see them at Live Aid.

I once had pizza with Gavin, Guggi and the prunes in The Independent Pizza Company on Drumcondra Road. It was some night. The sense of escapism that the Prunes presented was magnificent then.

Some of Gavin Friday's later work is worth a look or indeed a listen.

And of course nobody's mentioned some other great Dublin acts - The Dubliners and Sinead [going to see here for the first time since 1987 in 2 weeks!].

Posts: 524 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Virgin Prunes were briefly great in the very early 80s.

I'd have A House as my favourite Dublin band, though, followed by Fatima Mansions.

I saw U2 in Dundee in 1983 - they were dreadful.

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

Why don't you lot come up some night for a piss-up?

-

Ach, fuck yez, then.

imp
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for imp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I supppose this isn't the place to pipe up with the information that I own the soundtrack to 'Once.' Nope? Okay, thought not.

A House were a fine band. Missed seeing them live in 1986 because I pulled my hamstring playing for Birmingham University thirds and could barely walk. But that's another story for another time. Actually, no it's not - that's the whole story. Must practice pacing my yarns.

Posts: 4427 | From: such great heights | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've either forgotten or never heard of most of the more left-field Dublin acts named above, but the Rhythm kings were damn good. Anyone heard/ got/ prepared to digitise their rather splendid long player 'Setting fire to my heart'?
Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a bad idea, Roy, though it'll have to wait until the summer at least. Where are the best places to get bladdered in Belfast?

Can scarcely believe that there are not one, but TWO people on this thread defending the Virgin Prunes as a musical unit. Even Gavin Friday admits these days that they were a bit of a disaster.

Melbourne Arab, the Fatima Mansions weren't a Dublin band. Coughlan (who basically was the Mansions) is from Cork, and his sidemen were from other parts of Ireland and from London.

[ 27.02.2008, 10:52: Message edited by: Lt. Frank Drebin ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I keep thirty five biros in each duffel coat pocket so that when I lurch forward to pick up a cigarette that has fallen out of my mouth onto the floor, they all come spilling out onto the lino. Then I run round roaring and picking up pens while my burning cigarette is actually just stuck in my beard, along with other pens.
Oh man. Two years on, I nearly had a thrombo laughing at what the Carcass wrote there.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

Where are the best places to get bladdered in Belfast?

Get back to you later, off for a hoe-down with Hayseed Dixie.

Yee, and indeed, if I may venture, har!

gypsydownunder
Member # 257

- posted      Profile for gypsydownunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fatima Mansions, the band, as LFD mentions were from Cork. However Fatima Mansions, the housing estate (the inspiration for the name?) was definitely in Dublin. Although it would appear that it's been transformed in recent years.

Setting Fire To Heart was indeed a fine album. The first festival I ever went to was opened by Rocky Devalera and The Rhythm Kings [Macroom 81] and the album was released soon after. It made my Top 100 albums that need to be transported to Australia, so I'll play it tonight. Unfortunately I don't have the technical know-how to make a digital copy. Does anyone know how to do this? It's hard isn't it.

On other Dublin bands, it's all coming back now..
Tokyo Olympics - Dance the movement
The Atrix (geddit) - The moon is puce
Eugene
Some Kind Of Wonderful
The Radiators - Sunday World Sensation

Now on The Frames, did they really record a live version of Love Will Tear Us Apart. It's appearing on Limewire and I can't work out if it's really them?

Posts: 524 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC